Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2022, 04:38 AM   #1

Starter button

I was wondering if anyone with a Titan has a problem with the button on the front brake side. I have trouble holding in the brake to engage the starter while pushing the button and applying the throttle at the same time with one hand. Can it be moved to the clutch side I wonder? Ideas? Cheers.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:51 AM   #2

Separate switch

If they insisted on the lever pull safety feature, why the heck not the clutch. Some big bikes have this, and cars/trucks with a clutch.

MAYBE you can patch a separate circuit with a switch on it. The switch will close the circuit (and turn on the brake light/enable the starter) while you start it. Then switch it off so that the brake light is on only when you pull the lever (or push the foot lever).

I think this can work if you patch two new wires into the two leads that go to the lever. Test this...Connect them to a switch (any single pole, single throw switch, don't even have to mount it for testing). See if it will start without pulling the lever when you close the circuit (turn the switch on). The brake light will presumably also be lit up. Then turn off the switch after starting it.

If this works, you are golden, Just find a good place to mount a switch. A handlebar mountable switch would be convenient, and the connecting wires can be zipstripped top the handlebar.

Old 05-11-2022, 04:39 PM   #3

Good idea. Thank you for the option. I did on a hunch this morning press on the foot brake and tried the starter button. Sure enough the circuit is looking for a brake light so the starter engaged and started the bike. Yeh! This is a little easier than pulling the front brake lever but not as good as your idea. I will most likely try to add a momentary switch to the clutch side hooked into the brake light/starter circuit. This should satisfy the safety feature. We'll see. Cheers.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
If they insisted on the lever pull safety feature, why the heck not the clutch. Some big bikes have this, and cars/trucks with a clutch.

MAYBE you can patch a separate circuit with a switch on it. The switch will close the circuit (and turn on the brake light/enable the starter) while you start it. Then switch it off so that the brake light is on only when you pull the lever (or push the foot lever).

I think this can work if you patch two new wires into the two leads that go to the lever. Test this...Connect them to a switch (any single pole, single throw switch, don't even have to mount it for testing). See if it will start without pulling the lever when you close the circuit (turn the switch on). The brake light will presumably also be lit up. Then turn off the switch after starting it.

If this works, you are golden, Just find a good place to mount a switch. A handlebar mountable switch would be convenient, and the connecting wires can be zipstripped top the handlebar.
Or press the foot brake. Cripes!