Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #91

Ordered a few things to help me get a better idea of what the water temperature is doing.

I ordered a inline temperature sensor adapter 18mm and a tempature sensor kit. I plan on splicing into the hose that goes into the cylinder head near the thermostat. Links below:

Acouto Motorcycle Digital Thermometer Instrument Water Temperature Meter Gauge Ultru Thin Universal LED Motorcycle Digital Coolant Temperature Gauge Kit DC 12V Blue Light https://a.co/d/5ZGwbJ5

Dynoracing Water Temp Gauge Radiator Temperature Water Temp Joint Pipe Sensor Hose Adapter (18MM, Black, 1) https://a.co/d/cqnrdWj

Old 08-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPMRider View Post
Ordered a few things to help me get a better idea of what the water temperature is doing.

I ordered a inline temperature sensor adapter 18mm and a tempature sensor kit. I plan on splicing into the hose that goes into the cylinder head near the thermostat. Links below:

Acouto Motorcycle Digital Thermometer Instrument Water Temperature Meter Gauge Ultru Thin Universal LED Motorcycle Digital Coolant Temperature Gauge Kit DC 12V Blue Light https://a.co/d/5ZGwbJ5

Dynoracing Water Temp Gauge Radiator Temperature Water Temp Joint Pipe Sensor Hose Adapter (18MM, Black, 1) https://a.co/d/cqnrdWj
You can get that information and more with something like HUD ECU hacker and an ODBII interface (like a J2534 adapter). I would not start hacking into the plumbing of your bike, but that's me.

https://netcult.ch/elmue/HUD%20ECU%2...r/#Charityware

Old 08-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #93

I tried changing the gearing back to original sprocket and everything, I'm back to stock. And I for the life of me can not explain this overheating issue

Old 08-03-2022, 11:06 PM   #94

Quote:
I tried changing the gearing back to original sprocket and everything, I'm back to stock. And I for the life of me can not explain this overheating issue
You can try replacing the sensor, but I doubt that is the issue. It is very cheap though....

https://www.engtb.com/item/taobao/644951214242.html

Old 08-07-2022, 07:43 AM   #95

Ok I'm now convinced that these motorcycles are complete garbage. I've officially tried everything to fix this heat issue. Added oil cooler, flushed antifreeze, replaced thermostat, tested water temp sensor, changed the gearing, swapped spark plug, checked head gasket, wrapped the exhaust, switched to water wetter, inspected water pump, relocated the antifreeze reservoir to make room for a second fan, wired both fans to a switch to keep them powered all the time, replaced the antifreeze hoses with harder lines to prevent collapsing, changed the oil, burped the radiator a ton.

Good luck with these bikes guys but I would avoid ever owning a lifan motorcycle again. There is no information, there are no parts, there is no support from dealers or manufacturers.

Selling this bike and it can be someone else's problem. This is what I deserve for buying a bike that was made by 9 year old slaves.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:39 AM   #96

Did you view or retrieve the ECU data? The data will tell you why it's doing what it's doing.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #97

Quote:
Ok I'm now convinced that these motorcycles are complete garbage. I've officially tried everything to fix this heat issue. Added oil cooler, flushed antifreeze, replaced thermostat, tested water temp sensor, changed the gearing, swapped spark plug, checked head gasket, wrapped the exhaust, switched to water wetter, inspected water pump, relocated the antifreeze reservoir to make room for a second fan, wired both fans to a switch to keep them powered all the time, replaced the antifreeze hoses with harder lines to prevent collapsing, changed the oil, burped the radiator a ton.

Good luck with these bikes guys but I would avoid ever owning a lifan motorcycle again. There is no information, there are no parts, there is no support from dealers or manufacturers.

Selling this bike and it can be someone else's problem. This is what I deserve for buying a bike that was made by 9 year old slaves.

I'm sorry you feel that way. So far, your bike is the only one reported to have heat issues. Like I said, I haven't had anything like that, and I have a 2020 with 5k miles on it. Who did you buy from again?

If you didn't buy from venom motorsports, contact them anyway, and see if they've encountered that problem.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #98

Hey, another question. What grade of had are you using? Do you get any symptoms of detonation? Basically, the engine will randomly sound like popcorn in a microwave in multi cylinder engines. Not sure what it would sound like in thumpers. Have you checked or changed your plug? Right now, with everything you've done, it sounds like you might be lean, and the cooling system can't keep up.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:29 PM   #99

Quote:

Oh my goodness! I think you've done your due diligence on the cooling system for sure. If it were mine, I would check the valve clearance just to make sure it's in spec, weird things happen when the valves are too tight or too loose. I can hear the frustration and it's understandable!
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 08-07-2022, 07:09 PM   #100

I've been just over 700 miles on my KPR in the heat of New Mexico (over 100 every day) with no issues.

I wouldn't run thicker oil to try to reduce Temps unless you have changed bearings to increase clearance for some reason.

Sounds like you may have got a bad apple.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #101

FIX!!! Operator error!!!

As many of us know it's really frustrating to be running around chasing your own tail on a mechanical or electrical problem. I figured it out!

These KPM 200s are very small bikes, and as many of us know storage is difficult. I had installed a small storage bag on the front forks. As many of us know when you are behind a semi in town you still get wind, but when you are behind a semi on the highway it blocks a considerable amount of wind. I think the same principle applied here, that small storage bag blocked just enough wind to keep air from flowing through my radiator fins. Last night I pulled out all the stops I installed the thermometer gauge and got a no drip radiator funnel to pull 100% of the air out of the system and after all my repairs were done I had my buddy just point out that the bag on the front might be blocking the wind. To be honest I hadn't even considered that, it seems like it should be far enough away that it's not an issue however these bikes are very small and asked to do quite a bit of work, it blocked just enough wind to where it just wouldn't cool off fast enough when I was at high RPMs for a long amount of time. After removing the bag my temperature gauge reads no higher than 80 degrees C if I've been on the highway for a long time, and I stick around 70 to 74 degrees C when I am in the city

Aftermarket accessories on your front forks can cause overheating on the KPM 200, unfortunately I have verified it myself.

Safe riding guys, thanks for all the help!

P.S. sorry for the hate mail Lifan, you do make a quality product.

Last edited by KPMRider; 08-08-2022 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Old 08-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #102

Quote:
FIX!!! Operator error!!!

As many of us know it's really frustrating to be running around chasing your own tail on a mechanical or electrical problem. I figured it out!

These KPM 200s are very small bikes, and as many of us know storage is difficult. I had installed a small storage bag on the front forks. As many of us know when you are behind a semi in town you still get wind, but when you are behind a semi on the highway it blocks a considerable amount of wind. I think the same principle applied here, that small storage bag blocked just enough wind to keep air from flowing through my radiator fins. Last night I pulled out all the stops I installed the thermometer gauge and got a no drip radiator funnel to pull 100% of the air out of the system and after all my repairs were done I had my buddy just point out that the bag on the front might be blocking the wind. To be honest I hadn't even considered that, it seems like it should be far enough away that it's not an issue however these bikes are very small and asked to do quite a bit of work, it blocked just enough wind to where it just wouldn't cool off fast enough when I was at high RPMs for a long amount of time. After removing the bag my temperature gauge reads no higher than 80 degrees C if I've been on the highway for a long time, and I stick around 70 to 74 degrees C when I am in the city

Aftermarket accessories on your front forks can cause overheating on the KPM 200, unfortunately I have verified it myself.

Safe riding guys, thanks for all the help!

P.S. sorry for the hate mail Lifan, you do make a quality product.
Lol. It's always something small, and unassociated with anything mechanical. Glad you figured it out. I guess it's time to develop some radiator shrouds to get if you install a fork bag.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:09 AM   #103

Rule #2 of trouble shooting gremlins, BRING IT TO STOCK SPECS FIRST. Lesson learned.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:25 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPM View Post
Rule #2 of trouble shooting gremlins, BRING IT TO STOCK SPECS FIRST. Lesson learned.
I recommend reading this next.

https://netcult.ch/elmue/HUD%20ECU%2...4%20Manual.pdf

Old 08-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #105

His problem is fixed, but this is good info, thank you for sharing.