Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2022, 09:47 PM   #511

I just made an addendum to the prior post...

Looks like the 6speed counter balanced engines are going to hit market.

the CG200cc engines have basically phased out.

CG250 are also thinning out being replaced with OHC versions...

Ebay crate engines as my example.

and the main complete bikes are adopting the 6 speed counter balanced platform.

Which might increase prices on top of inflation over the older 5speeds...

But it could as you have found make the older 5 speeds go on fire sale to make inventory space.

I wonder how long till 6 speed crate engines become easily attainable prospect...

Old 08-11-2022, 11:02 PM   #512

As soon as one of those -5 motors pops up I’m buying one and sending to to Joe Henner for a build, if he wants the work.
His big bore kit would make it 300cc and I think he said 24-ish hp.
With a 6 speed…that’s rad man lol
Edit: bike is on Amazon again-$1829 unassembled, $2099 ready to ride.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 08-11-2022, 11:28 PM   #513

Wow! Wow! & Wow! I want the ZS172FMM-5 engine. What a deal!! Dang it... I need to stay married but Im sure tempted to get another one. No way I can justify it.. Anyone on the fence buying this bike for 2k shipped to your house is a crazy good deal.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:38 PM   #514

Head Scratching

So yall lost me with all the engine numbers and letters. Do we think the new Templar X is a 6 speed?

Old 08-11-2022, 11:44 PM   #515

the PR250

https://aj1moto.com/en-ca/products/z...n-pr250-engine

So that's the Loncin RE250
and now Zongshen PR250

6 speed counterbalanced.

Though i doubt either keep the kickstart to make way for 6th gear.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:46 PM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptssan View Post
So yall lost me with all the engine numbers and letters. Do we think the new Templar X is a 6 speed?

Yes absolutely the counter balanced 6 speed. Pr250 ZS172FMM-5. Vs the original X is a ZS172FMM3-A 5 speed. Mostly same gear ratio but so much less vibration.. Honesty it's a better deal than the original X as long as you don't want kick start as a back up.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:54 AM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
https://aj1moto.com/en-ca/products/z...n-pr250-engine

So that's the Loncin RE250
and now Zongshen PR250

6 speed counterbalanced.

Though i doubt either keep the kickstart to make way for 6th gear.
I contacted the ebay seller that has the 5 speed 172FMM-3A for sale (XProUSA). It is the same vendor that is selling all of the Templars now, and that includes amazon third party vendor, and powersportsmax, and XProUSA (all the same).

I told them to inform me when they have the counterbalanced 6 speed 172FMM-5 engine available. It seems like AJ1 doesn't have them in the USA or maybe they are a wholesaler only: "MSRP does not include destination charge, ocean freight surcharge, set up, tax, title, license or any other dealer fees."

I could buy another one, but it would be a pain in the neck going through all of the build again, jetting, titling, insurance, and registration. It makes more sense to get the engine, go to work on it making it a 270-277cc and do the headwork before swapping it in. And I would have to sell mine if I buy a new one... But it is essentially new, runs great, and in the garage ready to ride.

ONE other option would be to buy the M ($1649). I could remove the -5 (6 speed, counterbalanced) engine and work on it, swap my adjustable shocks over to the M, reinstall the modified engine in the M frame, and I would have a new Templar X. Then sell my orange X with the standard shocks from the M.

By the way. The Templar X Summer sale price is currently $50 LESS than I paid for my X a few months ago!

Last edited by Thumper; 08-12-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #518

Here's my thoughts. Watching this frame, style, size and CCs of this bike call it a TemplarX, Kayo A16, Avantis, Zummva X7 etc these are all the same with minor difference's just different badging.

These China bikes all launch/release in UK first choice. Could be import regulations but it's then delayed to the US market for about a year.

There's a pattern here watching the UK & US Bikes entering the US with the ZS172FMM3-A engines to the higher priced companies like Orion RBX250, Kayo A16 Pro first. Then comes powersportsmax with lower cost fit and finish more old school levers, battery, carb etc. Then the ZS172FMM-5 comes out now the most popular and for good reason. The vibration of the ZS172FMM3-A is not a deal breaker but it's ever present.

If it is indeed a pattern I'm hopeful to buy an eBay motor soon or just completely wait for the 300cc market later this year or Spring.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:11 PM   #519

6 speed counterbalanced 172FMM-5

Powersportsmax has edited the website. Yes, confirming the 6-speed transmission in the new engine.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:58 PM   #520

Short notice but I have a TemplarX 5 speed new in box from Powersportsmax. Had in for a few months. Inspected it but never assembled it. I've not listed it for sale yet. I'm heading to the Red bull TKO Enduro Race in Sequatchie TN this weekend it's a popular event yearly. Can toss it into the truck. $2300 Orange

Old 08-13-2022, 05:44 AM   #521

Wow, just saw the new X on Amazon. Same price as my base x, with a 6 speed and the adjustable suspension. That’s a sweet deal at around 2.1k shipped. The pics show dual piston rear caliper and different chain adjusters. Many upgrades over my base, but I’m not sure how accurate the pics or description is in the add.

Wonder how buzzy it is with the counter shaft. Mine is buzzy as heck, even with the foam grips I added. And the 13/42 sprockets have me around 6-7k at 50.

Decisions, decisions…

Old 08-13-2022, 06:04 AM   #522

My rigged Orion RXB “performance header and muffler” finally took out the left rear turn signal stalk. Didn’t melt it, but dried it out to the point where it cracked the rubber and was hanging by the wires. Found an all in one rear light kit on Amazon for $12. Looks like it’s supposed to be there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6650_657270380

Thought I was finally done, but y’all got me thinking of a motor swap now….
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5EE72D0B-4C6A-4D38-B2FD-43AB7347279C.jpeg (51.8 KB, 392 views)

Old 08-13-2022, 06:32 AM   #523

Going to run a third valve check today, last go round set them to .05mm intake and .06mm exhaust. I’m approaching 500 miles and it’s been a few hundred since my last check. The engine is quiet and starts easily but I’m curious to see if the valves are the same as last go round.

Been using Maxima 10-40 conventional oil and the clutch and shifting seems better than with the Rotella I used for break-in. Could be attributed to the break in but I’m a sucker for oil and additive packages.

Old 08-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge boyieee View Post
My rigged Orion RXB “performance header and muffler” finally took out the left rear turn signal stalk. Didn’t melt it, but dried it out to the point where it cracked the rubber and was hanging by the wires. Found an all in one rear light kit on Amazon for $12. Looks like it’s supposed to be there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6650_657270380

Thought I was finally done, but y’all got me thinking of a motor swap now….

Nice looking Tidy tail solution (eliminating the way out there turn signals). Engine swap is a lot of work. I am beginning to think of selling the Storm or the original Templar X and just getting the new X. Hard decision.

Old 08-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #525

Anybody find an aftermarket air filter, like a twin air? I checked on a 2014 KTM 250 SX filter at the dealer and it was close but no cigar.

Also, if anyone visits the clutch springs, I’m looking for a stiffer replacement set.

Thanks

If my brother buys the new 6sp X, I’m going to be jelly, sent him the link this morning. When he’s up my way visiting, I never see him, his always out on my Templar…