Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour

This one is in the book. That makes number eight. Yesterday was pretty rough on me, first real distance in three years. I didn’t walk any hills, but my speed and power, like the Ural, were lacking. Let’s just say that it was an Aleve evening.

Today was a heck of a lot better. The hills were not as steep and there was a slight tailwind. Better chance of pizza and a beer tonight.

My kid sister did the ride with me and is in a lot better condition than I am. She motored up hills with out down shifting while I barely got out of low gear. Being a competitive sort, she wasn’t sure she’d enjoy the ride but she is coming back next year.

I did have to swap out the pusher tire on the Ural today before we left Red Wing. There wasn’t much tread left.

I’m doing this on my IPAD and haven’t gotten the hang of posting pics with it yet, so will post some tomorrow after I get back home.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #2

Pics as promised.

Loaded. I left on Thursday to see my Dad in Cameron, WI. Then rode the eighty miles to Wabasha, MN on Friday. Wabasha to Red Wing, MN on Saturday. Back to Wabasha on Sunday. Home today. Phew!

Unloading at Covill Park, Red Wing, MN. Wasn't the only one that showed up on a moto.

Jon and Noel getting things rolling. I want to be Noel, in the red plaid hat, when I grow up. 81 years old and still going gangbusters.

Turns out that Noel and my sister have crossed paths many times. He volunteers at the Birkie and she competes in it. http://www.birkie.com/

My ride, the N8cycle. That first day was a killer for me.

Back at camp. And no, my sister and I didn't share a tent.

The Eagle's Nest in Wabasha, MN. Sundays' breakfast meeting place. There was a record 118 goofballs signed up.

Doing the Brew Up on the cheap. Although that little Esbit coffee maker does a great cuppa, I'm not sold on the solid fuel tablets.

My road side prize, a 2 x 4. I named it 'Stripey'. More on Stripey later.

My kid sister, Deb, who kicked my butt all weekend. Pretty good for a 61 year old 'Amazon Bitch'(her words).

Stripey at work. I rolled the pusher tire onto Stripey to be able to get the center stand down so I could swap out the wheels.

Got home this afternoon. Just about eight hours of butt numbing riding on the beast. Other than the tire, not one issue in about 800 miles.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #3

Forget Noel, I want to be you when I grow up. I spotted a beautiful vintage red cruiser at a local thrift store, and I might go adopt it this weekend. It has so much more soul than my Walmart cruiser.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #4

This is like a ladies and gentlemens bike ride from thw way everyone is dressed. Nice!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
This is like a ladies and gentlemens bike ride from thw way everyone is dressed. Nice!
Appearances can be deceiving, but yes.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Appearances can be deceiving, but yes.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #7

This year is done.
The weather was awful. So bad, in fact, that many, including moi, bailed on Sundays leg. The 4” of rain on Saturday night through to most of Sunday had a lot to do with it. So did temps in the mid forties.

Saturday had predicted thunderstorms and heavy rain, but luckily, they blew through before the start. The day was just cool and breezy. It had rained most of Friday night, so the day started as moist.

My sister and I rode through a t-storm on our way to Red Wing. Things were moist there, too.

My ride started by repairing a rear flat tire on my Raleigh. After we got our gear sorted, I was finally able to give an elderly gentleman, my friend Noel, a ride around the parking lot. He asked last year, but our schedules didn’t mesh. He had a ball. As Noel is in his early eighties, he couldn’t get in and out of the sidecar very well. With help from myself and one of his sons, we got him situated. After we got him out, he turned to me and gave me a bear hug for the ride. I don’t have any pics but I know some will show up on the 3ST website in the next couple of days. Maybe I’ll snag one or two and post here.

Noel on the right and my buddy Bob on the left. Noels’ 1970 Robin Hood in between.

After suffering up the Bay City Hill, and surviving and celebrated with a toast of single malt, Deb and I stopped at a biker bar in Maiden Rock, WI for lunch. After a good meal, we battled headwinds towards Nelson, WI, then to Wabasha, MN. We stopped for the obligatory photo of our bikes in front of the Lake Pepin sign.

I was pretty wiped out after we got back, so I didn’t think to take pics at dinner. I wasn’t too thrilled with the Guinness Stew provided for dinner, but OMG, the Guinness Chocolate Cake was amazing. As were the mashed red potatoes.

We turned in early. Like 7:30 early. By 8, it started to rain. All. Night. Long. On top of that, the joints in my instant set up tent decided they weren’t going to do their job anymore. I quit counting after the fifth time my tent collapsed. I had a lousy nights sleep. I also had terrible leg cramps. I woke up to saturated ground.

We also had word of rock slides from the bluffs along US61 on the Minnesota side. Was true, saw them.
After a great breakfast, and having decided to bail, Deb drove me up to Red Wing to pick up the Ural. I rode back to Wabasha, packed up my gear, save for my tent and left for home. The tent was aimed straight for a dumpster.

The ride back was cold and wet until almost to Madison, WI. I can tell you what happens to oilskin when it get cold and wet. It gets stiff and hard to button. After Madison, it got dry and warm. And very windy.

After seven hours on the road, I got home with a sore butt and tired legs. It felt worth it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #8

A pic of Noel and I that I snagged from the 3ST website.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #9

Well, 2020 was a wash due to the pandemic and the sudden retirement of the owners of The Eagles’ Nest Cafe, our party place.

Instead, it was suggested that those of us that could get out to ride, should make it our own 3Speed Tour. So, I took a pedal powered two wheeled tour of SW Kane County.

The steed.

A rural road, recently graded.

Kaneville, IL

Howitzer in Kaneville.

I have driven and motorcycled past this several times and never noticed it. You do see a lot more on a bicycle.

Flat lands and farms. What we lack in hills, we make up for with wind. We also can see for miles.

Crap. It wouldn’t be a 3ST without a flat. Found out I need a new rimstrip.

Did a bit off road due to bridge construction over the UPRR tracks. That was an adventure in itself as it involved a lot of hiking through knee high grass and mud with a 60lb bike.

The next to final leg was through the Elburn Forest Preserve. I knew of the Multi Use Paths (MUP) but never found them, because I was looking in the wrong place. The one thing I found on the MUP was hills. Steep little buggers.

At least there was no rain.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-16-2022, 08:18 AM   #10

A sad day for the Riders of the Realm.

Noel Robinson, on the right, passed away yesterday. Great guy. Always had a story to tell, usually with a stout in hand.

I miss him already.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-18-2022, 09:31 PM   #11

Such a cool bicycle.

Old 08-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
A sad day for the Riders of the Realm.

Noel Robinson, on the right, passed away yesterday. Great guy. Always had a story to tell, usually with a stout in hand.

I miss him already.
Sorry to hear about your buddy, Noel. Seems none of us are getting any younger.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #13

I have to say that Noel was a life well lived.

From what I've heard from cohorts was that he was prepping for a four day bicycle trip.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800