Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #541

Anyone have a tutorial on changing fork oil? Somebody in an earlier post had a good suggestion to change the oil before the forks are installed. I have looked all over the internet. I cannot find a good resource to follow. Has anyone tried it yet?

Last edited by Raptssan; 08-15-2022 at 07:53 PM.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:52 PM   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptssan View Post
Anyone have a tutorial on changing fork oil? Somebody in an earlier post had a good suggestion to change the oil before the forks are installed. I have looked all over the internet. I cannot find a good resource to follow. Has anyone tried it yet?
Whot!?? Did you order a Templar X?

Fork oil.......I adjusted rebound on front (and rear) and left it at that for now. I will deal with fork oil change when the weather gets colder.

But there is a small flathead screw that is obvious and easy to access at the bottom of the shock in the middle of the large bolt that secures the shock piston to the front axel housing. It is right in the center.

I can't imagine any other reason for that small flathead screw other than draining the fork oil... Measure what you drain, cap it up, and refill it from the top side. You may have to compress the shock repetitively to work the oil out. Leaving it open for a day or two is another option (perhaps with periodic compression!). It is aiming down, so nothing will get in there unless you have a dust storm in the garage!

Old 08-15-2022, 10:10 PM   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge boyieee View Post
Okie, that looks like a INT650, congrats. I looked at a RE Himalayan before finding the Templar. Here’s my day tripper
It is. I saw one and fell head over heels.
The dealer is installing front and rear Ohlins, and when it gets delivered it’s getting a DNA filter, fuel booster, and TEC 2-in-1 stinger exhaust. Thinking of putting some K60’s on it for a scrambler look.
Either way, I’m counting the days till it gets here lol
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 08-15-2022, 10:10 PM   #544

Everything that I have seen looks like the upper part of the fork comes apart and oil is drained from there.

Yes. It is on the way and should be here this week I hope.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:34 PM   #545

Quote:
Everything that I have seen looks like the upper part of the fork comes apart and oil is drained from there.

Russian but informative.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #546

Quote:

That is an excellent video for rebuilding the shock (seals, sweeper). Here is another great one for when it is time to rebuild. He mentions Zuma into video. I think that's a NC250 there. Probably the exact same fork that's on the Templar X. Both good videos.

You will have to unscrew/disconnect the top to refill, but...This video shows that there is a vent in the top by the adjustment screw that allows the oil to freely drop out the bottom drain hole.

Honestly, I have not done this, and I am not 100% sure, but there is no need to dismantle the shock if you can drain it and refill it. Draining it though the bottom port isn't necessary if you open the cap at the top and pour it out, but draining it through the bottom port and ALSO at the top might be necessary to really completely drain it without dismantling it. It is a lot of work taking it all apart, and a new motorcycle doesn't need the forks rebuilt!

Definitely measure the volume you drain or pour out. The volume might be the same as the ones in the videos. I do not know how to check the level for proper fill-maybe it is in the video(s). I'd like to get a spanner to fit that top cap.

Last edited by Thumper; 08-16-2022 at 12:01 PM.

Old 08-20-2022, 04:45 AM   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
You might try one for a 2007 Suzuki RMX250 since the plastic is a copy of that, maybe the airbox is too....worth a shot
Thanks Huck, I’ll slide by the Suzuki dealer and check it out.

Old 08-20-2022, 04:53 AM   #548

Blue 2022 and 1/2 6speed X sitting at R&L carriers depot. Scheduled delivery on Monday. WHAT will I do for 48 hours!?

Old 08-20-2022, 04:55 AM   #549

This is my go to for the forks :

I swapped my fluid out but I have the standard model with no adjustments. Surprisingly, the stock fluid was about equal in each tube and just a bit darkened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C6153633-4924-4DFE-BFAB-88DDB400246F.jpeg (21.1 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpeg B64C8381-FED3-4A7A-866C-0CCAD5D357F4.jpeg (28.8 KB, 347 views)

Old 08-20-2022, 05:17 AM   #550

Did the valve check this week, a rough estimate of 200 miles between checks. My last settings were .05/.06mm. I found the valves a bit tight this time <.05mm.

I had no starting issues or ticks, just wanted to see how things were after following the .002/.05 mm Henner suggestion. So thinking I know better and that .002 is super tight with high maintenance intervals, I loosened them up a bit.

I only have .05mm/.002 - .08mm/.003 and .1mm/.004 blades. So I set the intake at a loose .05mm and the exhaust at .08mm. The loose settings I used this time added a bit of ticking compared to the <.05mm I started with.

Maybe that Henner dude is on to something…

I’ve ran around 80 miles since and no issues, even with a stall and a hot start.

Im still collecting sloppy data and haven’t decided which way to go; super tight and high maintenance or a bit loose and ticking.

Best advice I can give is to not take my advice…

Old 08-20-2022, 05:42 AM   #551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Blue 2022 and 1/2 6speed X sitting at R&L carriers depot. Scheduled delivery on Monday. WHAT will I do for 48 hours!?
That was faster than I expected, super terrific happy time in 48 hours!!

I’m curious on the factory installed sprocket sizes, and how they roll with the sixer.

Finally decided to install the the 14t front. Only needed a bit of work with the dremel, mainly used a cutoff wheel and didn’t have to take too much. I found the replacement 5speed complete engine for around $550 shipped, so either way no big deal.

I mainly did the drop because of that damned Thumper and his fancy 6speed…

My brother is going to pull the trigger on an Amazon deal in a few weeks, at the moment we’re knee deep in a 1971 Olds cutlass Tremec 6 speed swap.

Everyone and their goddamn 6speeds….

Old 08-20-2022, 06:11 AM   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
It is. I saw one and fell head over heels.
The dealer is installing front and rear Ohlins, and when it gets delivered it’s getting a DNA filter, fuel booster, and TEC 2-in-1 stinger exhaust. Thinking of putting some K60’s on it for a scrambler look.
Either way, I’m counting the days till it gets here lol
K60s would be cool, and that’s a sweet ride. I recently installed TEC springs and preload adjusters on my speedtwin and they work very well. There’s some TEC naysayers but I’ve found the parts are machined well and work as advertised.

The waiiiating is the hardest part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A334BB16-FF98-491B-AC0F-4498C2697BA7.jpeg (29.5 KB, 213 views)

Old 08-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge boyieee View Post
K60s would be cool, and that’s a sweet ride. I recently installed TEC springs and preload adjusters on my speedtwin and they work very well. There’s some TEC naysayers but I’ve found the parts are machined well and work as advertised.

The waiiiating is the hardest part.
I keep going back and forth on the TEC 2-1 exhaust.
It’s between that and the Zard high mounted exhaust-but that’s going to cost like $1500 plus shipping from across the pond. Tec USA has then here and cheap lol.
I just don’t like the way S&S routes their headers around the lines to the oil cooler-seems to defeat the purpose of an oil COOLER to put a hot header in front of it.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 08-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #554

If you take off the sprocket cover, replace the longer one with a 40mm bolt, and move the longer bolt to the shorter bolt position. Both of these have much deeper threading into the case. And if your bolts are the same as mine, they are only in by 3 turns! One of mine brought the threads out with it. Fortunately, there are deep threads so I didn't have to helicoil.

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...&postcount=446

Old 08-21-2022, 10:32 AM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
If you take off the sprocket cover, replace the longer one with a 40mm bolt, and move the longer bolt to the shorter bolt position. Both of these have much deeper threading into the case. And if your bolts are the same as mine, they are only in by 3 turns! One of mine brought the threads out with it. Fortunately, there are deep threads so I didn't have to helicoil.

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...&postcount=446
I went back and read this post. I ordered a 14 tooth front and a 42 tooth rear. Now I wonder if I should have went with the 39. What is first gear like? What is the top speed?