Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #1

New person from SW VA.

So it turns out my midlife crisis is going to involve motorsports. I thought I was too poor to go anywhere with it but Chinariders gave me some hope. I found the Hawk 250 on amazon and followed the rabbit hole until I ended up here.

I grew up in Ohio where the land was flat and the corn fields were vast. I never got into motorsports of any kind.

Now I am in Virginia in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I spent my first few years here exploring in cars and quickly realized that this Ohio kid had some fears of heights when driving in cars on tiny mountain roads. It didn't stop me though and often ended up going forward because it was too steep, narrow, or dangerous to turn around. I love the mountains and finally borrowed an old Honda Rancher ATV and tried out trail riding on he Peter's Mill National Forest ATV trails. Needless to say that started me on the path I find myself on now.

I keep passing Forest Roads and other trails and I want to be able to do a bit of exploring. Now that I know I am much more comfortable on those mountain roads with a smaller vehicle I decided to get myself a small dual sport to learn on and try it out a little bit. I can't wait to get out into the Craigs Creek Valley and explore the old coal mining areas that are part of the Jefferson and George Washington National Forests.

Anyways, I got myself a 2022 Venom Lifan KPX250 | 250cc Dual Sport Motorcycle and have signed up for the riders courses to get my license. Hopefully, I will be on my way to riding some Forest Roads before winter sets in for good. I used to drive manual exclusively so here's to hoping I can get the hang of the manual 6-speed without burning off the clutch or throwing myself off the back.

I did a lot of poking around on these forums while making the decision. I am sure I will be lurking around a lot to learn from folks that have already learned some lessons and have the experience to share.

Old 09-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #2

Welcome Aboard! Great choice on the KPX 250. Awesome bike!
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-01-2022, 02:59 PM   #3

welcome. you made a good choice!

Old 09-02-2022, 12:37 AM   #4

yep thats my next bike

Old 09-02-2022, 06:58 PM   #5

If this is your midlife crisis - you're doing awesome. Exploring and turning wrenches? I'd call that winning.