Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #691

So, I reached out to MotoPro (Amazon seller of the Templar X) and asked about valve clearance specs. After trying to get around answering my question, here is the response.
“The manufacture just replied that the specification for valve clearance is 0.01-0.03mm, please do not try to adjust it. Incorrect operation may cause the defective of the engine. If there is anything wrong with the engine or valve clearance, please contact us directly.”
This seems pretty tight? Also, I used a Dremel to make a slot in the carburetor screws to remove them, but the metal was so soft that it would not turn. It looks like there is red threadlocker on them? I guess I will try a screw extractor next. Why are they so against us working on our bikes?

Old 09-17-2022, 10:57 AM   #692

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjjAxx84 View Post
The -3A replacement engine arrived with a tune up spec sheet:
Idle: 1400 plus/minus 140
Gap: 0.7 - 0.85mm
Valve clearance: 0.01 intake 0.03 exhaust
Oil: sj10w40
Fuel: 91 or higher
FYI... AJAAX posted this a while back, buried in 600+ posts on this thread

Yes, I agree that is TIGHT clearance! I am leaving mine slightly more clearance, at least until I am sure the valves are seated.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:00 PM   #693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
FYI... AJAAX posted this a while back, buried in 600+ posts on this thread

Yes, I agree that is TIGHT clearance! I am leaving mine slightly more clearance, at least until I am sure the valves are seated.
I set mine to 0.0025 in. I will probably just recheck at 200 miles or so.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #694

At the 200 mile mark and with regard to valves, I'm going to go back and re-adjust to .002 instead of .004 as I'm noticing the bike wants to die after first start if I give any throttle and it'll sputter.. it'll idle for awhile but takes unusually long to be ready to go without stalling. Hopefully getting closer to spec will resolve that and maybe up the power a bit.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 09-18-2022, 05:56 PM   #695

What is the oil capacity of the crankcase?

Old 09-18-2022, 06:56 PM   #696

I believe 1 quart.. nice and simple

Old 09-19-2022, 12:24 AM   #697

Rear caliper on 6sp model misaligned…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
I think it’s a blown seal somewhere. The pads actually do work fairly well, but there’s no grab in the caliper. Just will not clamp much at all.

Edit: turns out the grab is weak because only one side of the caliper is closing. Is it supposed to be that way?
Seems like the outside pad is stuck almost touching the rotor, and the inside pad will actually grab.

Edit2: forced the calipers open and bled system again-much better lever pressure, won’t bottom out anymore, good enough lol.
Hi Okierider. First post here. My 6sp model arrived and I’m assembling (and disassembling) while going through the many issues I see in the factory assembly in an effort to correct. My rear caliper is similar to yours in that it seems to be mounted too far to the center of the bike and has a gap on the inside pad to the rotor, and is rubbing badly on the outside piston pad. When I activate the brake pedal it pushes the pistons pulling the whole caliper body to the outside of the bike since the inside pads are fixed. Do you have any idea how to remove the caliper so it could be shimmed with washers at the two outer mount points? The front nut can be removed, but I’m unsure how the rear caliper post is mounted and how to free it from it’s mount. Thanks in advance. Quality control sure is lacking on the assemblies, lol.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:37 AM   #698

Engine stamping mismatch…

Quote:
I was working on installing the rear shock linkage on the new Temp X and noticed that the engine has -3A designation instead of ZS172-FMM-5 stamped on the case

Attachment 27422

So I immediately verified that YES, it does indeed have a 6 speed gearbox (PHEW!).

The side covers are different on the -5 engine and that was obvious all along (and no kick starter), but I was surprised that Zongshen is using the same case stamp as the -3A. Does this mean that the mounting posts are in the same place??? I will compare them to the 5 speed -3A in my old Temp X (it does have almost 250 miles on it, so I can call it "old").
Hi Thumper. New here. I have info to share on the engine stamping issue, and sadly it means the engine mounts are likely different between engine types for those hoping for a swap. My 6sp (PR250 engine) came in with the -3A stamp instead of the -5 stamp similar to yours. Here was the info I got back from MotoPro since I ordered on Amazon. Hopefully it clarifies what led to the issue for you and others down the road until they are all bought up.

Message reply: Thanks for your purchase and sorry to keep your worry and concerned about the engine code issue. I just confirmed with the manufacturer, as this is the first container order on this TEMPLAR X 250cc Dirt Bike with upgrade from the former 5 speed engine to newest 6 speed engine, the renewal of factory EPA certificate did not catch up with this production, so they just used the old EPA license for export, thus this 6 speed engine was marked with ZS172FMM-3A.

Last edited by BaneChonda; 09-19-2022 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Old 09-19-2022, 07:58 AM   #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaneChonda View Post
Hi Thumper. New here. I have info to share on the engine stamping issue, and sadly it means the engine mounts are likely different between engine types for those hoping for a swap. My 6sp (PR250 engine) came in with the -3A stamp instead of the -5 stamp similar to yours. Here was the info I got back from MotoPro since I ordered on Amazon. Hopefully it clarifies what led to the issue for you and others down the road until they are all bought up.

Message reply: Thanks for your purchase and sorry to keep your worry and concerned about the engine code issue. I just confirmed with the manufacturer, as this is the first container order on this TEMPLAR X 250cc Dirt Bike with upgrade from the former 5 speed engine to newest 6 speed engine, the renewal of factory EPA certificate did not catch up with this production, so they just used the old EPA license for export, thus this 6 speed engine was marked with ZS172FMM-3A.
It surprised me when I saw it! But it is quite clearly the clounterbalanced 6 speed engine.

I finally got mine together yesterday, gassed it up, and it started easily (about 2 seconds, with transient choke). I rejet it a couple of weeks ago, pilot 40>45, main 120>125, and shimmed the needle ~1mm. Seems perfect. Runs great. It is smoother than my 5 speed Templar X, and it does have 6 gears.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:13 AM   #700

Quote:
It surprised me when I saw it! But it is quite clearly the clounterbalanced 6 speed engine.

I finally got mine together yesterday, gassed it up, and it started easily (about 2 seconds, with transient choke). I rejet it a couple of weeks ago, pilot 40>45, main 120>125, and shimmed the needle ~1mm. Seems perfect. Runs great. It is smoother than my 5 speed Templar X, and it does have 6 gears.
I used the same setup on my carb and it starts up no problem without choke! Thanks for the suggestion Thumper.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:54 PM   #701

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinazuki View Post
hello everyone.
I am concerned with the muffler sound of these

templar M claims to have an improved quieter muffler. That is what i want.
Does the X have the same exhaust?

Is there a quieter china rider? Hawk or tbr7...
I can't say much for the Templar, but my Titan DLX stock muffler and the dampening plug - it's pretty darn quiet; with the decatted pipe too.. almost too quiet.. And for most of the new cagers on the roads now, you need to definitely be very noticeable. I had to get a different muffler for the pipe I have, longer. But, still not that bad. It's quieter than my buddies 700cc Tenere without the plug on both bikes - I just don't have that snarling crack of a twin piston engine lol I'm don't rev it and be a douche, but it does get some attention between buildings and the covered bridges

Old 09-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
At the 200 mile mark and with regard to valves, I'm going to go back and re-adjust to .002 instead of .004 as I'm noticing the bike wants to die after first start if I give any throttle and it'll sputter.. it'll idle for awhile but takes unusually long to be ready to go without stalling. Hopefully getting closer to spec will resolve that and maybe up the power a bit.
That was going on with my Titan - does this one have the same EGR / SAI hooked up? That was one of the problems; a hose was being smashed. Which un-smashing it made it better, but not fixed. My mix was way out too - it is running much better now, but still needs a tiny bit of tweaking. I'm only at a quarter turn out with the needle up one slot; need to drop that again. Also, swapped back to my stock CDI, starts right up when cold! The orange one I've been using makes it really hard to start in the cold.. bummer. Maybe I need the timing key to run it without any issues.

Have you had a chance to take it out on some trails and compare to the Titan yet?? And just how much of a height difference is there??

Old 09-19-2022, 07:01 PM   #703

I searched for the SAI but don't see it on the engine so I think it's probably more the valves just being too loose as set. Will confirm once I redo it
It feels slightly faster than the Titan and it's nice to have that 6th gear. I'm keeping under 7k so still have yet to push it for a couple more hundred miles to really appreciate the difference but yea it handles the gravel great

Old 09-19-2022, 10:01 PM   #704

I finally got the thing assembled. I spent a couple of hours on the wiring behind the headlight getting the cables and wiring routed carefully. There isn't much room there, but it all fits with some patience. They have a new lower mounting bracket for the headlight ass'y on the 2022 and a half Temp X which wasn't there on the first 2022 5 speed bikes, so I removed the rubber straps which they still included (not needed now).

The air ducts (wings) secure nicely and tuck in better on this 2022 and a half model. Solid mounting. Nice graphics too!

I took it to my three favorite local off road spots and worked it out. This bike is awesome! I set the side screw (idle speed) a little high to keep the oil pressure up, and it also made it super easy to quickly get power to the ground in tight slow sections and dead end turn arounds. Impressive torque down there!

The luggage rack is much stronger too. It really stiffens the tail without adding more than a pound or two. It will support a set of bags and maybe a trunk well, so I will be looking into that once PSM gets the luggage side rack in stock

Last edited by Thumper; 09-27-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:26 PM   #705

Quote:
so I will be looking into that once PSM gets the luggage side rack in stock
exactly