Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #1

Brake light not working on new Templar X

Hey guys. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem with my bike wit I brake lights? The taillight works when I turn on the lights. And all the wires coming from the taillight are plugged in correctly. (3 wires) Thanks.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:36 PM   #2

There is a switch on the front brake lever, there is a pressure switch on the rear brake master cyliner.

It is unlikely both switches failed at the same time.

You have shown the running lights powers up the brake light just fine so the LED brake light functions in normal intensity mode, just no idea about the high intensity light mode for when brakes are on.

It is the connection of the switches in the brake controls to the rear brake LED that is the trouble zone.

My best guess is that one of the connectors may have bent a pin inside or similar when it was pushed together with the mating connector. I would remove the headlight cowl and go through the connectors in there just as a good PDI and check all the pins for being straight and not bent or not broken. If everything is great in the connectors then maybe there is a circuit in the rear brake LED for the high intensity lighting that is not working. There may be a specific wire that sends signal or power for the high intensity lighting part. If you can find and trace those wires back from the rear brake light you could also in reverse trace back to any connectors.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 11-20-2022, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
There is a switch on the front brake lever, there is a pressure switch on the rear brake master cyliner.

It is unlikely both switches failed at the same time.

You have shown the running lights powers up the brake light just fine so the LED brake light functions in normal intensity mode, just no idea about the high intensity light mode for when brakes are on.

It is the connection of the switches in the brake controls to the rear brake LED that is the trouble zone.

My best guess is that one of the connectors may have bent a pin inside or similar when it was pushed together with the mating connector. I would remove the headlight cowl and go through the connectors in there just as a good PDI and check all the pins for being straight and not bent or not broken. If everything is great in the connectors then maybe there is a circuit in the rear brake LED for the high intensity lighting that is not working. There may be a specific wire that sends signal or power for the high intensity lighting part. If you can find and trace those wires back from the rear brake light you could also in reverse trace back to any connectors.
Yep. I was thinking the problem might be behind the front headlight. I will check that tomorrow. Thank you TP!