Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2022, 01:07 AM   #16

This is the Templar I ordered in orange to match my Teryx 800.

https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/23841

Old 11-27-2022, 10:33 AM   #17

Excellent choice Freddy. I still like that engine better than the newer counterbalanced 6 speed. It just feels perfect. And I got the same color. Nice. I think the frame will be just fine. AND WHAT A BARGAIN for under $1500!!!

Carb work. Here is a post showing carb bowl screw removal:
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...09&postcount=7

And here is one with the jets:
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...3&postcount=25
ebay vendor still has them: Search this description. It comes up (the ebay listing from Google search, or search within ebay).
"Carburetor Main Jet 10pcs/Set Slow/Pilot Jet Kit For PZ30"

Texas Pete went 40 to 42 on the pilots. I think he is right. I went to 45 and I think it is a little on the rich side. He also drilled out the pilot adjust screw access and adjusted it accordingly.

He and I both went 120 > 125 on the main jet and shimmed the needle ~1mm. I have a description of that process somewhere here (shimming the needle). Maybe I will find it today sometime.

Old 11-27-2022, 01:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Excellent choice Freddy. I still like that engine better than the newer counterbalanced 6 speed. It just feels perfect. And I got the same color. Nice. I think the frame will be just fine. AND WHAT A BARGAIN for under $1500!!!

Carb work. Here is a post showing carb bowl screw removal:
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...09&postcount=7

And here is one with the jets:
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...3&postcount=25
ebay vendor still has them: Search this description. It comes up (the ebay listing from Google search, or search within ebay).
"Carburetor Main Jet 10pcs/Set Slow/Pilot Jet Kit For PZ30"

Texas Pete went 40 to 42 on the pilots. I think he is right. I went to 45 and I think it is a little on the rich side. He also drilled out the pilot adjust screw access and adjusted it accordingly.

He and I both went 120 > 125 on the main jet and shimmed the needle ~1mm. I have a description of that process somewhere here (shimming the needle). Maybe I will find it today sometime.
Thanks Thumper! Your reassurance has eased my buyer's remorse and the info is invaluable. I can't wait to get this awesome bike!

Will these jets work?

Old 11-29-2022, 05:48 PM   #19

So PSM hasn't shipped my Templar yet but I called to ask about the MSO and they told me that it will state "motorcycle". That should help me get a plate here in PA. They're actually having a Cyber Tuesday sale and the Templar is still $1400+300 shipping.

I plan to order these jets. Is there anything else I need other than motor oil? It's cold here so I think I'll go with 10w40 and 15w40 when it warms up.

How about sprockets? The easiest thing would be a larger front sprocket but what fits and is it enough? If not I'll just replace the rear.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
So PSM hasn't shipped my Templar yet but I called to ask about the MSO and they told me that it will state "motorcycle". That should help me get a plate here in PA. They're actually having a Cyber Tuesday sale and the Templar is still $1400+300 shipping.
Those jets look perfect. Don't bother with sprockets for now. Concentrate on the build. Then take it off road if weather allows

Gently test the bike. Get used to it. You may be surprised to find that the low gearing is exactly what it needs. No kidding. This is an enduro, not a dual sport or road bike.

There is no emergency on finding the right gearing (sprockets). The most important issues are careful assembly with a tube or two of locktite!

Old 11-29-2022, 11:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Those jets look perfect. Don't bother with sprockets for now. Concentrate on the build. Then take it off road if weather allows

Gently test the bike. Get used to it. You may be surprised to find that the low gearing is exactly what it needs. No kidding. This is an enduro, not a dual sport or road bike.

There is no emergency on finding the right gearing (sprockets). The most important issues are careful assembly with a tube or two of locktite!
Just planning ahead. It seems to me that I could change front sprockets quite quickly and easily with a cordless drill and impact wrench. I wouldn't mind swapping them for different occasions. However it can surely wait.

Never without the blue stuff, I might need to pick up some JASO motor oil. Is the chain pre-oiled or should I plan on soaking it? I'm really excited to ride again. I sold my last road bike 5 years ago and my last dirt bike was a 1976 Bultaco Frontera 250. I'm gonna be rusty but at least I still ride a e-mountain bike regularly. Thanks again!

Edit: I forgot to ask; how is everyone blocking off the EGR? I'll want to do that ASAP. Can I buy a block-off plate or must I make one? Either way is fine but buying one saves some time. TIA

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 11-30-2022 at 02:11 AM. Reason: question

Old 12-01-2022, 05:54 PM   #22

Small update: Power Sports Max lowered the Templar price from the $1470 I paid on Saturday to $1400 on Monday. I called on Monday to ask if they would give me some kind of credit or if I could cancel and reorder at the new price. They simply said no to both because "the order had already gone to the warehouse on Saturday and it was being readied for shipping".

It's now Thursday evening and it still hasn't shipped. Status is the same as Saturday, "order sent to warehouse". Technically this is within their stated policies but if they don't ship tomorrow I might cancel.