Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2021, 06:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Ok. Thanks. I’ll back it down to 32 (I tend to like tires pretty well inflated).

So the tubes DO dictate the pressure, rather than the tire. Interesting stuff. I’ve never had tubes before.
Tubes have no significant affect on maximum pressure recommendations. The tire is what determines that factor. The valve stem area is the weakest point of a tube, and they can handle way more pressure than the tire can. The tire contains the pressure of the tube, and thus bears the load.

The recommended pressure by Lifan is for the best combination of ride quality, grip, and fuel economy for that given tire on that bike. You could inflate the rear to the max pressure, but it would ride like crap unless you were riding two up with a big fat guy like me on the back.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-16-2021, 06:11 AM   #17

Quote:

1 - Is butyl tape a good idea that interfere too much with the tube itself, causing more problems than it would solve?

2 - The tires themselves say 40psi.
1- Butyl tape will not work. Because it's soft and sticky it will increase the friction inside your rim, tire, and tube setup exponentially. It may also react with the rubber of the tube in ways that are less than ideal. This is one of those situations where simpler is better. The Gorilla Tape method that MegaDan mentioned is a really good option, or you can spring for a quality rim strip. Personally, I lean more on the Gorilla Tape side of the fence.

2 - That's the maximum safe inflation pressure for the tire. A tire doesn't tell you how much air it should hold, just how much it safely can hold. The recommended tire sizes and pressures should be on a sticker on your swingarm or the underside of the seat. If your tube has a lower air pressure rating than your tires, then that lower rating is your upper limit, if that makes sense. In this instance, you mentioned 30psi on the tubes, and 40psi on the tires. That means that your upper tire pressure limit is 30psi. That seems pretty low to me, honestly. The heavy duty tubes I got last year for the Desert Scramble we did up to Wickenburg have a rating of 50psi, I think. It might have been 60psi. For general street use and some of the easier dirt trails, you want the tire to be the limiting factor, not the tube inside the tire. The tire, after all, is what hooks you up to the surface your riding on. Hope this helps!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 03-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #18

When all else fails, read the manual, right? Ha ha.

So I fount this.

Lifan x-pect

Max pressure cold: front 40.6psi | rear 40.6psi
Recommend pressure: front 25-29psi | rear 29-32.6psi

Still fairly confusing because of the upper limits in the tire pressure chart. I’d think you can go up to 40 for on road and those lower pressures for off road. As in maybe their recommended pressure is for dual sport riding? But I could be wrong and the recommended pressure might also be what the tubes dictate.

Not entirely clear.

The chart feels like the one I looked at yesterday for Chinese sun shade shirts. They had a men’s medium at 140lbs, with a 36 inch waist. Ha ha ha. Those numbers don’t go together.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #19

Double checking this information. I got the tubes. They are

110-100/90-19 going on a 90/90-19 wheel for road. Is that ok?

and...

120/90-17 going on a 110/90-17 wheel for the road.

Is it more safe to keep the stock Chinese Lifan tubes in there that are perfectly sized? Or would it be more safe to change to these larger tubes, but given they are Michelin, they are better?

Mostly I’m worried about losing a tube on the road. Off-road I don’t really care. It is soft and slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle_purr View Post
The HD tubes won't be a problem with your bike as it will not be reaching speeds of 100+ mph It's a friction issue at high speeds which cause heat and can allow soft spots in the rubber over time.

Michelin tubes are very well trusted and there is another forum, I won't mention, where the dual sport riders swear by the Michelin UHD for the long haul, even with riders who have driven in the 100's on the hottest pavement etc...

Below are some non affiliated purchase links:

Front Tube 90/90-19

Rear Tube 120/90-17 10mm larger in diameter, will still work just fine.

Spoke Wrench

Other Tire Tools:

Bead Breaker and Lever Tool Set | Valve Core Remover

Not sure on the spoke torque specs, I always gave them a generous snug

Watch this for more info on spoke adjustment:

Old 03-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #20

Also, am I over thinking all of this? Ha ha just trying to be as safe as possible on this trip. I can’t afford any crashes.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Also, am I over thinking all of this? Ha ha just trying to be as safe as possible on this trip. I can’t afford any crashes.
Nothing wrong with wanting to do things right, but yes, you are definitely over thinking this.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #22

Let it Roll! CG strong, ride hard!

Old 12-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #23

I was wondering what you guys have experienced with the X-pect stock tubes. I did a search on here but I am not good with it for some reason. Just curious if I need to change them immediately or whether they can wait. thanks in advance.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
I was wondering what you guys have experienced with the X-pect stock tubes. I did a search on here but I am not good with it for some reason. Just curious if I need to change them immediately or whether they can wait. thanks in advance.

I had approximately 5000 miles on mine and they were absolutely fine when I removed them to change the tires. They were actually pretty good quality.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:23 AM   #25

Boatguy I have 5000 miles on my TBR7 and still useing stock tubes. Was going to change when I put knobby tires, but used the stock ones. Still have the new ones I bought with my new tires, saving them for when I get a flat tire. Just about to get a new back tire again, and will install new tube then. Bit will save the stock tube in case of a flat tire.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:41 AM   #26

Quote:
When all else fails, read the manual, right? Ha ha.

So I fount this.

Lifan x-pect

Max pressure cold: front 40.6psi | rear 40.6psi
Recommend pressure: front 25-29psi | rear 29-32.6psi

Sounds just about spot on. The Templar X 250 has a sticker on the bike that says recommended front 28 psi and rear 31 psi. That is in contrast to the generic owners manual that has 20 psi for both listed. You run lower psi off road depending on track conditions so I use the recommended psi for street.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 12-16-2022, 04:23 PM   #27

Tire pressures should also be adjusted for load. Those recommended pressures are for a certain weight of rider and gear. Add a big giant American like me, or a bunch of luggage, and you often need to increase those pressures for road riding.