Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2023, 05:24 PM   #31

Was rainy all day today so couldn't go out at all. I didn't want to ride it how it was. Like I said it immediately causes the spark plug to go black. Even once I put the new one in and turned it on for 30 sec with a couple light revs. I turned it off and pulled the spark plug to check and it was already getting black. So I have the original spark back in (after I wiped off the black carbon). Gonna go thru and check battery and electrical connections tomorrow.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeardedVagabond View Post
Was rainy all day today so couldn't go out at all. I didn't want to ride it how it was. Like I said it immediately causes the spark plug to go black. Even once I put the new one in and turned it on for 30 sec with a couple light revs. I turned it off and pulled the spark plug to check and it was already getting black. So I have the original spark back in (after I wiped off the black carbon). Gonna go thru and check battery and electrical connections tomorrow.
This points again to the wrong air/fuel mixture.

Black spark plugs are a sign of too rich.

And you can hear it in the video. It floods with fuel and then it starves and then it floods again and then it starves.

Old 03-24-2023, 05:51 PM   #33

Ok I have figured out the wierd stutter. It was actually a throttle cable issue. I basically went thru everything disconnecting and reconnecting til I figured it out. So it now idles normalish. However I now have 2 issues. 1 is that after 30sec to a minute it turns it's self off after slowly losing it's idle. The second is when I turn the handlebars left it is pulling the throttle cable and revving. I can figure out a way to loosen the cable and I don't see it really catching on anything. Also,i wasn't sure about the higher pitched "clicking" like sound from the engine. Any and all advice is appreciated. New video to show what I am talking about.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:16 PM   #34

clicking/tapping sounds like a valve lash clearance (Valve/rocker/cam) ...normalish.

Probably set loose to break in the new engine as it will tighten up as things bed in...

Old 03-24-2023, 09:06 PM   #35

I’m glad my guess was not it. I’m also glad you got it figured out.

strange that it was giving fuel and not, giving fuel then not and giving too much fuel and making the spark plug black from a throttle cable situation. But awesome that it’s better.

now it’s really time to go for a ride. Ha ha. I ran mine sounding like that and stalling at idle if I didn't give it some throttle for 5000 miles.

you’ll have to reroute that throttle cable in some way so that it doesn’t stretch like that or pull.

But xlsior is right. when I did my valve adjustment at 5000 miles, it ran much more smoothly. it sounded exactly like yours and died out like yours on idle from day 1. Same thing. I just got used to it and rode it like that. but after the 5000 mile valve adjustment it stopped doing that. And it sounded much more smooth.

It’s definitely time to go for a spin. No harm done there.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Ok I have figured out the wierd stutter. It was actually a throttle cable issue. I basically went thru everything disconnecting and reconnecting til I figured it out. So it now idles normalish. However I now have 2 issues. 1 is that after 30sec to a minute it turns it's self off after slowly losing it's idle. The second is when I turn the handlebars left it is pulling the throttle cable and revving. I can figure out a way to loosen the cable and I don't see it really catching on anything. Also,i wasn't sure about the higher pitched "clicking" like sound from the engine. Any and all advice is appreciated. New video to show what I am talking about.

I recognize that noise, definitely the valves need adjusting. I've checked and adjusted mine 4 times in the first 3000 miles, each time one or both needed adjusting. I had the same issue early on with the throttle increasing when turning the handlebars. Check how all of your cables, brake lines, etc are routed and assume they didn't route them the best way. In your first video it didn't appear all of your cables were routed in the least binding way. I've added a few zip ties and electrical tape here and there to make sure everything stays in place and there are no exposed wires. I think the idle will get better with time, my bike has died at idle 3 or 4 times, but not anytime recently.

Old 03-25-2023, 03:01 PM   #37

Thanks everyone for the help. Got the throttle cable rerouted and seems good now. Also not dying on idle or rev anymore. Still got the clicking but it got way to windy to keep working. One of the gusts shot my wrenches across the driveway. Supposed to be sunny and nice tomorrow so will finish it up and test ride it finally tomorrow.

You all are so damn nice and helpful here. Can't thank you all enough. In a weird way I am glad I had so many initial issues as it is allowing me to really dive into learning the bike.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:19 PM   #38

Was the engine cold when recording the 'noise' ? tappety valves tend to dampen out when up to running temperature...

Old 03-26-2023, 06:18 PM   #39

All fixed and rode the first time today. Everything is working good. I do however really hate the clutch and brake levers. Has anyone replaced these on the KPX 250 yet? If so which ones did you get. Do you think ones that will fit the X-pect will work?

Old 04-05-2023, 04:20 PM   #40

How has your experience with bike been so far? Did you get any recommendations on levers?

Old 04-07-2023, 12:43 PM   #41

Finally got out on the road with it today for a little bit. Drove well, just HATE the levers. I didn't get an answer on them so I took some pictures of the levers on the bike and then just ordered some on Aliexpress that looked like they would work. I will post which ones after they get here and I see if they fit or not. I also did attempt to wrap it with green carbon fiber looking vinyl. It didn't go great so I am gonna end up pulling all that off and just spray painting it with Kawasaki 777 Lime Green (just the white pieces). I don't think I will be able to wrap it and it look as good.

Old 05-06-2023, 03:39 PM   #42

Been loving the bike so far, except the seat (and the mirrors but I mentioned that earlier). I find that after 45min or so my butt is hurting. By 1 hr riding is no longer as fun. So gonna get a cushion. I have seen the maddog seat cushion recommended. Before I order that one has anyone tried different ones they may recommend?

Old 05-07-2023, 06:17 AM   #43

Quote:
Been loving the bike so far, except the seat (and the mirrors but I mentioned that earlier). I find that after 45min or so my butt is hurting. By 1 hr riding is no longer as fun. So gonna get a cushion. I have seen the maddog seat cushion recommended. Before I order that one has anyone tried different ones they may recommend?
Really surprised that the seat bothers you.
I have had both a DR 650 and an Xr 650 and my butt was killing me after an hour or so.
After some long rides on the KPX, I really took notice of how comfortable the seat was.

Old 05-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #44

Is this the correct size to adjust the valves on the KPX 250? I have been trying to use tools not made for it and it is a pain in the a**. Wanted to avoid ordering the set of 3 if I could save the money and get just the 1 right size. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NJJP1U27&psc=1

Old 05-12-2023, 01:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Is this the correct size to adjust the valves on the KPX 250? I have been trying to use tools not made for it and it is a pain in the a**. Wanted to avoid ordering the set of 3 if I could save the money and get just the 1 right size. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NJJP1U27&psc=1
10mm
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Tags
lifan kpx 250, motovlog, txpowersports