Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #1

New Taillight wiring question on Templar X

I ordered a new taillight from EBay. It fits perfect and I really like it. But it’s the kind that has running, stop, and blinker lights. With dedicated wires (5). Unlike the original light that is just stop, running light. So. Can I hook this taillight up so that the blinkers in the taillight work simultaneously with the blinkers on the bike and of course the running, stop light? Also, I’m not completely sure which wires I need to connect to accomplish this. The wire colors are different on the new taillight. I’m not sure which wires are which on the bike. Can anyone help me sort out how to wire up my new light to my bike? Here’s a pic of the taillight. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7AD21856-7C85-4BC4-AF15-66D5C18CB3C3.jpeg (84.3 KB, 103 views)

Old 12-16-2022, 03:29 PM   #2

It’s all in the picture you provided ,and yes you can hook both sets of signals together if you wish .Solder and shrink tube your connections if you want it to last .

Old 12-16-2022, 04:10 PM   #3

Just make sure you wire them in parallel and not in series. Ideally you would want to calculate the resistance equivalent of the two in parallel to calculate current (voltage is known) and make sure your wiring can handle it. This would mean you need to measure the resistance of each light. The tricky part with actual light bulbs is that their resistance changes drastically as the filament heats up. If your current signals are LED then it shouldn't be a problem.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #4

I must have a short somewhere. Powersportsmax sent me another taillight today. Plugged in the wires and nothing. Ran the wires down best I could this evening. And I can’t find anything that looks like there could be a fault. These bikes don’t have a fuse panel of some kind anywhere do they?

Old 12-16-2022, 10:58 PM   #5

having overcome multiple wiring issues myself recently I can say 9 times out of 10 its usually a bad earth/ground.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
having overcome multiple wiring issues myself recently I can say 9 times out of 10 its usually a bad earth/ground.
Or in many China bike cases, poor connector contacts.

To the OP, do you have a multimeter? The tail and brake circuits are super simple. A couple of minutes can likely find the problem with simple continuity testing
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-17-2022, 12:06 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Megadan;388141]Or in many China bike cases, poor connector contacts.

yes I basically had to replace every connector and re crimp all the terminals...

Old 12-17-2022, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
I must have a short somewhere. Powersportsmax sent me another taillight today. Plugged in the wires and nothing. Ran the wires down best I could this evening. And I can’t find anything that looks like there could be a fault. These bikes don’t have a fuse panel of some kind anywhere do they?
There is just one main fuse for the ignition circuit. It is by the battery. You may need to pull the front lamp ass'y and carefully check/reset the bus connectors.

The flasher may have become disconnected. The rear turn signal light wires run all the way up to the connector behind the headlight. The flasher unit is up there too, connected to the switch bus leading to the left side light control switch, and all four turn signals.

Old 05-14-2023, 01:55 AM   #9

Doh! Rear lighting help needed

Hey guys
I need some help and info on wiring in the tail light and rear turn signals on my Templar X. I went to exchange the stock ones for another pair, and the left side plugged in and worked great but when I plugged the right side in all the signals went haywire (front and rear) now none of them work. The rear tail light, headlights and highbeam all still work however the turn signals aren't lighting up. I need help!
Thanks everyone you are greatly appreciated

• Renthal oversized 1 1/8" FatBars, StickyGrips, Nibbi Throttle, Nibbi 30mm Carburetor, Nibbi Ignition, NGK Plug, RX Xring Chain, Upgraded sprockets for top end, 788 PowerCore2 Pro Tork Full Exhaust System, Shinko 7058s, Co1/Senge Graphics Kit, collapsable shifter, steel brake lines, EnjoyMFG Seat Cover, MSD spark wires, Dunlop barkbusters, aftermarket CDi, rear lights rewired under rear fender (clean now)