Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2023, 11:46 AM   #1

Doh! Throttle cable routing hawk 250

So I started a thread the other day about a rough idle. I wanted to say it’s definitely a vacuum leak, I tightened the bolts where the leak was and it ran a little better. I ordered the gluey-aluminum and black plastic intake gaskets off Amazon and am getting them tomorrow with another new throttle cable. I bought the 40.3” nibbi nc style throttle cable because the stock throttle cable was too short after my carb upgrade and quick turn throttle and it was way too long. I ended up ordering the cb style throttle cable from nibbi 36.8” and I hope this will help the issue because at the moment the bike is out of commission. Before I took the old throttle off, it only revved when turning the bars full lock right, but now it’s anywhere I turn the bars, even straight. I’ve also made sure to see that the throttle cable is fully seated in the carb and throttle itself. However, the throttle cable is bending against the gas tank and am racking my brain for the perfect solution. I’ve thought about bending the gas tank but want to stay away from modifying it too much. I really want to just get this thing running right and be able to ride it more than a day in a row lol. I love this bike so much I wish it wasn’t like every corner I turn I hit another dead end. Also working on getting the valve cover off as the factory must have over torqued them and the bolts are camming out of my wrench. Hopefully I just need a better wrench cuz idk what to do if I round these off. Also I’m running a nibbi pe28fl and. It’s taller than the stock carb and comes out at a different position that’s why my cable is hitting that gas tank.

Last edited by Desuboi941; 05-19-2023 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 05-19-2023, 12:08 PM   #2

Throttle cable routing needs to have minimum bends all the way from the twist grip to the carburetor. And you can lubricate the cable with pure silicon spray.

The cable should go down on the left side of the instrument cluster with a gentle arc, then traverse to the right side of the main stay under the fuel tank. One final gentle bend to the carb.

It is worth taking the tank off, and disconnecting the cable to reroute it. Spray the lube while you have it off-hang it or just hold it up by the end and use gravity until you see it coming out the other side. Explore different ways of getting past the bundle of wires at the steering head until you find the best, least obstructed, path with minimal bending. Check how is moves when you turn left and right.

THe choke cable should have the same attention. Believe me, attention to detail on these cables will pay off with better control of rpm/power, and instant power OFF when you need it (idles quicker, more consistently).

If you've done this job right, the throttle snaps back instantly and completely with a "whack" when you release it from even half throttle position! That is what you want. You can even silicon lube the slide inside the tower of the carb!

Old 05-19-2023, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Throttle cable routing needs to have minimum bends all the way from the twist grip to the carburetor. And you can lubricate the cable with pure silicon spray.

The cable should go down on the left side of the instrument cluster with a gentle arc, then traverse to the right side of the main stay under the fuel tank. One final gentle bend to the carb.

It is worth taking the tank off, and disconnecting the cable to reroute it. Spray the lube while you have it off-hang it or just hold it up by the end and use gravity until you see it coming out the other side. Explore different ways of getting past the bundle of wires at the steering head until you find the best, least obstructed, path with minimal bending. Check how is moves when you turn left and right.

THe choke cable should have the same attention. Believe me, attention to detail on these cables will pay off with better control of rpm/power, and instant power OFF when you need it (idles quicker, more consistently).

If you've done this job right, the throttle snaps back instantly and completely with a "whack" when you release it from even half throttle position! That is what you want. You can even silicon lube the slide inside the tower of the carb!
Thanks I’ve tried rerouting cables six times now and it doesn’t stick it just hangs because it’s too short I just got in the new cable so I’m going to try to take the tank off and route it that way if there’s bending against the tank I can dent it easily before putting it back on. Is there any way you could post a picture or r the throttle routing once you get past the gas tank? I also don’t know hot the clutch cable is supposed to sit around the front.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:20 PM   #4

I don't have a hawk. It's model-specific. I don't know why the cable is too short. Aftermarket?

Old 05-20-2023, 05:37 PM   #5

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I don't have a hawk. It's model-specific. I don't know why the cable is too short. Aftermarket?
Thanks man and I got the new cable in today i feel like I routed it pretty well. And yes I got a quick turn throttle so my cable was too short but this fixed it!

Old 08-10-2023, 10:17 PM   #6

Desuboi941 did you end up removing the gas tank to route the cable, and did you have to dent the tank in? I'm facing the same issue with the PE28fl.