Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2023, 11:25 AM   #1

KPX 250 600 mile observations

Just reached 600 miles on my KPX 250 So I'm considering it broken in at this point.
Here are some observations and some questions:

Decided to try to take it past 50 mph for the first time, got to 60 and I could feel decent amount of vibration. Not sure if it's the tires or the engine since it's only a 250.
Does anyone else get this starting around 60mph?

Had to replace the battery at 149 miles, guess I just had a bad one.
I've had it stall on me a few times during deceleration with the clutch in.
Has anyone else have this? Doesn't happen often, just a few times.

Dealer changed original oil, I changed again at 190 miles and 400 miles.

Adjusted chain twice so far (definitely keep an eye on this)

Checked all fasteners, only thing loose was the bars. Will keep an eye on them.

Bought and installed bark busters with hand guards, had them on all my bikes. if you don't have them, you should consider buying some.
Will save your clutch and front brake levers from breaking if you take a spill.
Also protects your hands from braches, stones and will shield your hands from the wind. Sucks when it's cold and rainy and your hands are exposed to the wind.

All in all, I don't have any regrets with this purchase. It does run well and for a 250, It has some power.
I had a Dr 650 and an XR 650 in the past, just couldn't justify spending $9000 out the door compared to $3,800 OTD for this bike.

If I planned to ride double or needed to spend any time on the highway, I would definitely have gone with a 650 again.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:41 AM   #2

Yeah, Mine starts to vibrate a little at 60 mph. I can feel it in the pegs and a little in the grips. Its not too bad to me at all really. I expect some vibrations from single cylinder bikes anyway thought, counter balanced or not. I took it easy on my bike to 100 miles, changed the oil and let it rip. I too had to replace my battery. The batteries they ship with are not very good it looks like. But a replacement wasn't all that expensive. I too am still on the stock chain. I'm gonna run it until I wear it out. I have a new O ring chain ready to go. My bike has poor throttle response. From an idle there is a split second lag from throttle input to the engine responding to it. Otherwise the motor seems to be running well. There is a video on you tube showing how to adjust the idle on these bikes. If yours isn't idling at the right RPM. Which might explain why it died on decel. I love the KPX so far, its definitely a great bike.

Old 05-13-2023, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Yeah, Mine starts to vibrate a little at 60 mph. I can feel it in the pegs and a little in the grips. Its not too bad to me at all really. I expect some vibrations from single cylinder bikes anyway thought, counter balanced or not. I took it easy on my bike to 100 miles, changed the oil and let it rip. I too had to replace my battery. The batteries they ship with are not very good it looks like. But a replacement wasn't all that expensive. I too am still on the stock chain. I'm gonna run it until I wear it out. I have a new O ring chain ready to go. My bike has poor throttle response. From an idle there is a split second lag from throttle input to the engine responding to it. Otherwise the motor seems to be running well. There is a video on you tube showing how to adjust the idle on these bikes. If yours isn't idling at the right RPM. Which might explain why it died on decel. I love the KPX so far, its definitely a great bike.
Yeah, didn't think of checking the Idle RPM since it idles without stalling, Ill check it out - thanks.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsuz650 View Post
Just reached 600 miles on my KPX 250 So I'm considering it broken in at this point.
Here are some observations and some questions:

Decided to try to take it past 50 mph for the first time, got to 60 and I could feel decent amount of vibration. Not sure if it's the tires or the engine since it's only a 250.
Does anyone else get this starting around 60mph?

Had to replace the battery at 149 miles, guess I just had a bad one.
I've had it stall on me a few times during deceleration with the clutch in.
Has anyone else have this? Doesn't happen often, just a few times.

Dealer changed original oil, I changed again at 190 miles and 400 miles.

Adjusted chain twice so far (definitely keep an eye on this)

Checked all fasteners, only thing loose was the bars. Will keep an eye on them.

Bought and installed bark busters with hand guards, had them on all my bikes. if you don't have them, you should consider buying some.
Will save your clutch and front brake levers from breaking if you take a spill.
Also protects your hands from braches, stones and will shield your hands from the wind. Sucks when it's cold and rainy and your hands are exposed to the wind.

All in all, I don't have any regrets with this purchase. It does run well and for a 250, It has some power.
I had a Dr 650 and an XR 650 in the past, just couldn't justify spending $9000 out the door compared to $3,800 OTD for this bike.

If I planned to ride double or needed to spend any time on the highway, I would definitely have gone with a 650 again.
Had some time in the woods today, have to say that it rides great in the trails. The tires are a little scary but besides that it feels pretty loose and nimble.
Since I've been getting on it, haven't had the stall issue and the 60mph vibration isn't as noticeable.

Posted some video of my ride today.

Old 05-28-2023, 03:50 PM   #5

Video hitting tree - Ouch!

[QUOTE=Gregsuz650;395125]Had some time in the woods today, have to say that it rides great in the trails. The tires are a little scary but besides that it feels pretty loose and nimble.
Since I've been getting on it, haven't had the stall issue and the 60mph vibration isn't as noticeable.

Posted some video of my ride today.

Added a video of me hitting a tree today. Posted in the picture/video section.