Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2023, 11:22 PM   #1

Slime

I've been thinking about adding Slime to my tubes as a flat preventative. I am aware of the potential for balance issues but with knobbies, rim locks and a planned top speed of 55mph I'm not terribly concerned.

Is anyone else already doing this? Done it before? Opinions?

It's working quite well for my fat tire e-bikes. If and when it dries out I'll just install new tubes. TIA

Old 07-03-2023, 08:00 AM   #2

Slime is a mess when you do get a flat but fortunately it's water soluble. I've resorted to using it a couple times like when my tires picked up hundreds of goat heads. It's either slime or 50 patches on the tube. Never had a balance problem using it.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:09 AM   #3

Ditto on the slime mess issue. I don't use it anymore only because I don't want to try to fix a flat that has slime in it.

Another strategy is to pick tires and tubes that have thicker and tougher construction. I run Tusk DSport (DOT approved) tires, which have a really tough carcass. I also run a Bridgestone Ultra Heavy (thick) tube both front and rear, or Michelin airstop ultra heavy duty thick tubes.

This combination blocks flats pretty effectively, and pinch flats too (run at least 15-18psi). I think there are other tires that offer less penetrable carcass as well... WIG racing or Motoz tractionator for instance-. The latter is DOT approved.

Taking this approach will add a few pounds to your setup. It is a trade-off I am willing to pay for the peace of mind.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:55 PM   #4

Thanks Mudflap and Thumper. Although I am anxious for new rubber, I know that once I remove the oem knobs I'll never put them back on. I'm still under 200 miles and would like to get some use from the oem rubber. I've been looking at Kenda K270 or Dunlop D605 as possible replacements and will look into the Tusk D-sports as well. I'll probably wait until xmas for new shoes and sox.

I think I may as well give Slime a try. I'm not too worried about the mess since it will be inside the tubes. Even if punctured, only a little should seep out. I'll be installing new tubes before the Slime dries out in 2-3 years. I may not use Slime in the new HD tubes with better tires but I've heard that these oem tubes puncture easily and now that I'm riding far from home, the Slime might just save me from a long walk in Moto-X boots.

AFAIK the biggest drawback to this is that Slime dries out after 2+ years. I'll be sure to report any balance issues and overall results.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:59 PM   #5

I always run Slime in my tubes and I am certain it has saved me in the past. I have never found dismounting a tube with Slime in it to be a "mess," even if I've had a puncture. And, I have had my KLR up to 112 MPH (this involved a sprocket swap) with Slime in the tires with no balance issues...

Make sure you get the stuff that's labeled for use with inner tubes. There is also a Slime variant for tubeless tires, which is the wrong stuff.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_dgz View Post
I always run Slime in my tubes and I am certain it has saved me in the past. I have never found dismounting a tube with Slime in it to be a "mess," even if I've had a puncture. And, I have had my KLR up to 112 MPH (this involved a sprocket swap) with Slime in the tires with no balance issues...

Make sure you get the stuff that's labeled for use with inner tubes. There is also a Slime variant for tubeless tires, which is the wrong stuff.