Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2023, 02:42 PM   #1

New from PA needs advice

Hello. Quick background: Philadelphia suburbs resident, 50's, not very mechanically inclined, and never owned a motorbike before. I'm intent on buying a scooter, probably 150cc, preferably in the $1800-$2500 range. Doing tons of research, and that's how I stmbled across this forum. This forum is GREAT, an amazing resource, I have learned so much here already just readingthe posts.

So, I have it narrowed down to two choices basically:

Number 1 - from Tractor Supply (near my house), BMS Motorsports Cavalier 150 Scooter, Black, BMS-CV-150-BK. After shipping and tax it's $2260.
[URL="https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/bms-motorsports-cavalier-150-scooter-black-bms-cv-150-bk-1592509

Number 2 - from Cajunmaddogs.com, the Amiga Jax 150. $2,099.
[URL="https://www.cajunmaddogs.com/product-page/amigo-jax-150-2099-free-shipping

I read the horror stories about some of the Texas dealers, Manny etc....
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very very much!

Old 08-20-2023, 08:57 AM   #2

Have you checked out Powersportsmax? I've bought two bikes from them so far with decent results. Back in November I purchased a xpro X19 which i think they are calling the lanai now. I bought my wife a Vader to learn on and got myself the scooter for around $800 just because I thought it would be fun and silly. I didn't really start riding it until recently but I absolutely love it now. In the past few months I've put over 1000 miles on it and it's turned into my daily commuter and bike for small quick tasks. It has a carb on it, hits 45 quick enough even stock, and holds 55 which is just decent enough for my area. Since I got it I've done quite a few modifications like a different carb, aftermarket exhaust, some tuning, etc. It's got a few downsides like the speedometer and mileage being in Canadian math, no tachometer, and very limited storage. I fixed the first two with a $30 Amazon GPS speedometer and a $15 tachometer. Ive managed to get around the lack of storage with a backpack and the space between my feet which allows me a decent sized grocery run. The x19 looks pretty similar to the first bike you posted just with different headlights. All and all for around $1100 all said and done I love it. However, if I would have known what I do now I may have picked a different bike from powersportsmax. I think if I bought a second scooter I may pick something with EFI and more storage. The x19 I have gets oil changes every ~400 miles because of how much I ride it, how hard I ride it, how dusty the area I live in, and haven't had any issues yet.

If I bought another bike it may be the MC-G049 (Tank) because of the very slightly larger engine, EFI, rear box, and front and side racks to mount more storage. I like my bike I just wish it had just a tad more speed which I think the EFI would help.

Another option is the xpro saipan which is EFI also but I think may have a lifan engine which I've heard are decent engines.

All these bikes are pretty easy to work on. There's a million YouTube videos and gy6 forums archived all the way back from the early 2000's with TONS of knowledge if you know what to search for.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I've been putting about 25 miles a day on mine in 115 degree heat and love it. Also if you look at that site there's a lot of the same bikes with or without EFI, with or without the racks, and so on.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:49 PM   #3

A scooter is a good choice for your first two-wheeled, motorized vehicle. Have you heard of the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation)?

https://training.msf-usa.org/res/str...FlRppT2A%3D%3D

Do yourself a favor and take this course. It will most likely save your life.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 08-20-2023, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
A scooter is a good choice for your first two-wheeled, motorized vehicle. Have you heard of the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation)?

https://training.msf-usa.org/res/str...FlRppT2A%3D%3D

Do yourself a favor and take this course. It will most likely save your life.
I second that, it will also get you discounts on insurance.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
Have you checked out Powersportsmax? I've bought two bikes from them so far with decent results. Back in November I purchased a xpro X19 which i think they are calling the lanai now. I bought my wife a Vader to learn on and got myself the scooter for around $800 just because I thought it would be fun and silly. I didn't really start riding it until recently but I absolutely love it now. In the past few months I've put over 1000 miles on it and it's turned into my daily commuter and bike for small quick tasks. It has a carb on it, hits 45 quick enough even stock, and holds 55 which is just decent enough for my area. Since I got it I've done quite a few modifications like a different carb, aftermarket exhaust, some tuning, etc. It's got a few downsides like the speedometer and mileage being in Canadian math, no tachometer, and very limited storage. I fixed the first two with a $30 Amazon GPS speedometer and a $15 tachometer. Ive managed to get around the lack of storage with a backpack and the space between my feet which allows me a decent sized grocery run. The x19 looks pretty similar to the first bike you posted just with different headlights. All and all for around $1100 all said and done I love it. However, if I would have known what I do now I may have picked a different bike from powersportsmax. I think if I bought a second scooter I may pick something with EFI and more storage. The x19 I have gets oil changes every ~400 miles because of how much I ride it, how hard I ride it, how dusty the area I live in, and haven't had any issues yet.

If I bought another bike it may be the MC-G049 (Tank) because of the very slightly larger engine, EFI, rear box, and front and side racks to mount more storage. I like my bike I just wish it had just a tad more speed which I think the EFI would help.

Another option is the xpro saipan which is EFI also but I think may have a lifan engine which I've heard are decent engines.

All these bikes are pretty easy to work on. There's a million YouTube videos and gy6 forums archived all the way back from the early 2000's with TONS of knowledge if you know what to search for.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I've been putting about 25 miles a day on mine in 115 degree heat and love it. Also if you look at that site there's a lot of the same bikes with or without EFI, with or without the racks, and so on.
BJ, thanks so much for your detailed post. It was truly very helpful. I can tell you that I did as you suggested, and placed an order for an XPro Saipan. My first choice would be the Tank, but can't seem to find a dealer that I'm comfortable with that will ship it assembled to my location, so.....getting the Saipan, assembled in crate, from Amazon. Again, thank very much for replying to my post!

Old 08-23-2023, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post

By the way, the MC-G049 (black) is by far my number one choice from Powersportsmax....that's probably the only dealer I felt comfortable with in addition to Belmonte. I called PSM, and they can't send me that bike already assembled, and for some reason they cannot sell the Saipan in Pa/NJ/NY.....so I had to fall back on the other option which was to order the Saipan from Amazon.