Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #1

Templar self-inflicted wound.

Some days after having ridden to work, afterwards I rip around the open lot next door. Did a little extra as it was suppose dto be the last warm day for a while. There's one embankment I using climb a bit. I decided to launch off it the other way. Landed a bit hard and my right brush guard came loose and swiveled down. Decided that was a good time to stop and go home. Yanked the guard back up and went on. It kept slipping back down a few times and I kept pulling it back up. Got home and wheeled it in.
Later I got a call and decided to use the bike. Nope. Crank but no start. My first thought was idiot hit the kill switch, but no dice. Second though was a dead ignition module. Crap. Went on and left the bike for about a week. Checked it a couple of times but it didn't magically come back to life.

The magic of not being to stand it anymore and having a couple of free hours came together. Everything is fine but no spark. Took the seat off so I could see the module. Looked at all the wiring I could for loose connectors. OK. Time for voltage testing, with no wiring diagram. While scoping out what went where I traced the wires up to the kill switch. Along the way they were smashed in between the brush guard bracket and brake line fitting. Oops, end of story.

Happily only the one wire was pinched and not cut and it was probably the only one that wouldn't have blown a fuse. So I lucked out there. Part of this fix was to add a bit of rubber hose to the harness for extra protection. The right brush guard never really properly fit so I ground down the brackets and tweaked things so to hopefully fit better and stay more secure. Got a warm weather rebound and some more riding in. Just wearing down my knobbies on asphalt though.