Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2024, 11:14 AM   #1

Home porting, exhaust crush gasket???

I am porting my head while waiting for parts, and while portion the exhaust, I notice that the crushed gasket has a thin ring pushed up , kinda forming a thin lip. . I assume that the new gasket will do the same, SO, should I stop enlarging the opening?, or grind through the ring? Thanks. This is a poor picture, but it shows the ring in the gasket.http://

Old 01-08-2024, 11:32 AM   #2

Good plan!

I think the seal will still be made since the crushable gasket should fit around the circumference tightly, and the exhaust should still crush the entire gasket. You might remove that old one and see how the replacement crushable gasket fits.

The broad seat that has a visible exposed surface inside the crushed gasket can be ground down as long as the new gasket still fits on the flat surface in the circumference. I think that port near the gasket is not ground out as far as it could be. The gasket will crush inward slightly, so leave a little flat surface for it.

Looking into the port, those surfaces deeper into the port are more important, but even a slight grind to enlarge the exhaust port near the gasket can't hurt, as long as the replacement gasket has flat surface to be crushed on.

You can use the replacment gasket as a measuring device periodically while you make progress on the grind.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:38 PM   #3

most of the restricting is around the valve seat and and opposed throat ceiling, The actual exit diameter isn't the main restriction point and opening to much could lead into a mating surface lip issue between the crush gasket and header pipe...which would be worse....

Old 01-08-2024, 04:47 PM   #4

Here are some gaskets I used after porting the head on my Brozz 250. I did have to kinda pry the old seal out. The original gasket was not usable and certainly was not going to seal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John