Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2021, 04:58 AM   #1

Thumbs Down T10 LED replacement bulbs suck

Well OK, not all of them, but some definitively do.

My ZongShen Sierra has a quite Yamaha-y looking instrument cluster, which uses 4 T10 bulbs for its indications. Manual says they should be incandescent 1.7W, but in practice one can easily only find 5W bulbs in that size.

So of course I tried to find suitable LED replacements for as many of them as I could. As soon as I got it I replaced the burned out odometer one (previous owner didn't even know it was supposed to light up...), and also the high beam and neutral indicator. The flasher/turn signal one couldn't be replaced with an LED one, as that threw the flasher relay off.

In any case, I used some automotive T10 LED bulbs I had laying around, mostly blue and white ones. And, well...I was not very impressed by their durability. Especially those used as a Neutral indicator, which was often engaged during engine starts, seemed to die off pretty quickly, either with a sudden death or starting flickering erratically and coming on/off when they felt like it. At some point I found a specific type among my stock of LEDs that still holds on to this day *fingers crossed*, but I didn't quite understand what it had over those that died. The Zong sure sped up the "natural selection" process among those LEDs

I recently had to replace the odometer lighting too, going back to an incandescent 5W bulb (which, ultimately, looks better than any LED I tried), because the high-intensity yellow LED I had in there before also started flickering and eventually died, after not even 3 months of service.

I dunno, is there something in the electricals of these bikes that kills off LEDs quickly? On the top of my head, I can imagine that the charging system isn't exactly gentle (normal operation is 14.5V), that perhaps the starter motor causes voltage spikes (even negative ones...) that some LEDs can't quite handle, or maybe it's the vibration.

Most of those LEDs are unregulated, with just one or two resistors in series (the latest one to die was just that), and some must be connected with a specific polarity, while others seem to have at least some some built-in rectification/protection.

What are your experiences with LEDs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9273847_5_b.jpg (135.2 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by ChillRider; 04-06-2021 at 06:11 AM.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

For the turn signal/flasher you need to add resistors, so the turn signal works as intended. But there are some mfg that sells T5 that don't need any extra resistor to work as turn signals
The issue with led T10 is there are too many styles and quality. Some will look better than others, some will last a lot longer than any incandescent bulb others won't last a week of normal use.

I love LED for cars and trucks, but for motorcycle not so much, to be honest i hardly look at the cluster.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #3

The real issue is the quality being such an unknown. I don't trust most LED bulbs as far as I can throw them, which is why I tend to stick to specific retailers that offer and back some sort of warranty or guarantee on the products they sell. It might not be perfect, but it beats having a giant pile of dead cheap LED bulbs.

The other way around it is to spend quite a bit of money on much more expensive options like Xenon Depot's C series bulbs, which are a fully ceramic base design. At $12 a pop for the T10 bulbs though, it can add up really fast.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-16-2024, 02:52 PM   #4

I've tinkered with LED replacements on my bike, and it's been hit or miss. Some LEDs didn't last long, especially the ones in high-use spots like the Neutral light. I guess it's the bike's electrical system, vibrations, or maybe just the type of LEDs. I've noticed that higher quality LEDs tend to be more resilient, though they're a bit pricier. It's crucial to check the voltage compatibility and whether they have any built-in protection against spikes. For a wide range of options, you might find https://leds.to/ useful. They have a variety of LEDs that might better suit your bike's electrical system.

Last edited by Gooseberry; 01-22-2024 at 09:34 AM.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:12 AM   #5

I bought some cute red colored LED 194's for dash gauges on my old VW. What a mistake. The little bulbs began catching fire inside my gauges after about 9 months. I went back to incandescent 194's until something actually better comes along. LED's have great potential, but there are tons of shitty ones out there manufactured to the lowest possible standard.