Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2024, 01:58 PM   #1

Thinking about a hawk 250 few questions

Looking for a bike I can daily commute and take on light to medium duty trails, ride 2 up, and leave outside full time.

A few questions,

Has anyone had any electrical issues caused by water, or other issues from storing the bike outside uncovered in the rain? Is there a lot of raw metal parts that rust?

How does the hawk do 0-45mph in traffic? Does it feel like it struggles to keep up, or is there some throttle left for passing/accell quickly? I'm 250lb

Any problems riding 2 up? Some of the reviews say the brakes aren't so great and its a little low on power. Plus it sits pretty high. Does it feel real top heavy or pretty manageable? Combined we weigh 350-370lb

Is there any problems finding parts when stuff breaks?

Is there anyplace better than Amazon to buy if I decided to buy new?

The plan ive set out is do all the extra breakdown and greasing, loctiting, valve and chain adjustment, buy a nibbi 28mm carb, and better quality inner tubes. Will this set me up pretty good for the long haul or is there other things i really should be adding to the list?

Old 01-22-2024, 02:45 PM   #2

It's not going to be a good bike for you,cans your passenger. I personally think they handle fine,and are plenty nimble. They are not powerhouses, but they are adequate. If you went with similar gearing to mine, 16 tooth front, and 46 rear, then you can maintain a steady true speed of 55 without straining the bike. With your weight ( same as mine), you will still loose steam on long fast hills out on the main roads, even with the common exhaust, and carb mods, but I personally never really felt the need for more power in any other situation. They make good low rpm torque, but make little power in their upper RPM range. I have a KPX, that is rated around 20 HP, I think, and on backwards, and gravel, I really can't say that the more powerful motor on the KPX is of any benefit. They are not interstate bikes, but they can handle all you mentioned EXCEPT the 2 up. They actually may handle it on blacktop backroads, but it's probably not a good idea.
Parts are very cheap, and easy to find. I wo at least use a motorcycle cover, but if the bike gets rained on, they can take it. I've heard of them rusting, but the owner should be able to keep rust in check. I've never heard of the swing arm rusting, but to me, that looks like it would be easy for one to rust from the inside out, but I have never know one to .

Old 01-25-2024, 09:24 AM   #3

Has anyone had any electrical issues caused by water, or other issues from storing the bike outside uncovered in the rain? Is there a lot of raw metal parts that rust?

While there aren't many/any raw metal parts, welds will rust first, and surface rust will definitely appear. Not sure why you'd want to store it uncovered, as even a simple tarp from Harbor Freight would help a ton here.

How does the hawk do 0-45mph in traffic? Does it feel like it struggles to keep up, or is there some throttle left for passing/accell quickly? I'm 250lb

It does great 0-45mph. But stock gearing, it'll be topped out just above 60. But acceleration wise, it does fine. It'll be slower with any rider weight above 200lbs however.

Any problems riding 2 up? Some of the reviews say the brakes aren't so great and its a little low on power. Plus it sits pretty high. Does it feel real top heavy or pretty manageable? Combined we weigh 350-370lb

2-up can be done.. but it's not as stable as one would prefer. The brakes are adequate, especially if you replace the questionable brake fluid and bleed them on assembly.

It does feel a touch top heavy, but same as any bike that tall with a 3gal tank on top. But nothing unusual in my opinion. HOWEVER... 350-370lbs of total rider weight is A LOT. Sorry... but that's going to overtask the stock suspension and tires for sure.

Is there any problems finding parts when stuff breaks?

Nope.. Generic parts or exceptionally common parts all over the internet.

Is there anyplace better than Amazon to buy if I decided to buy new?

Eh.. yeah. I mean, there are a few reputable retailers out there, and some iffy ones that usually still do good. There are likely reviews or comments on here or if you just internet search it, you'll find other sellers.

The plan ive set out is do all the extra breakdown and greasing, loctiting, valve and chain adjustment, buy a nibbi 28mm carb, and better quality inner tubes. Will this set me up pretty good for the long haul or is there other things i really should be adding to the list?

That'll set you up good for the time being.. but I would not say long haul. These bikes need frequent maintenance and checking just by the nature of their place of origin and build quality. With valves set properly, and good clean oil, the engine won't be of any concern and can take some serious crap. It's the rest of the bike that'll need attention.

I don't think it's a good bike for you and your pillion. For the price of a new Hawk 250 or similar, you can buy a used Japanese cruiser that will handle everything you want with better reliability and handling, and not scoff at the combined rider weight.

Example, I just picked up a Kawi Vulcan 800 in excellent condition and low miles for $1800. 50+hp and much better comfort and reliability. Low seat and ride height, easy to operate, and it'll last a lifetime.

Old 01-25-2024, 11:50 AM   #4

For your weight and intent of riding 2 up periodically, you need more power and stiffer/heavier suspension. At a minimum, I'd say a used Suzuki DR400 if you can find one. Or possibly a Kawasaki KLR 650. Even 1-up at 250lbs is more than a Hawk is built for.

There is one Chinese alternative though. Trailmaster has a TM38 that has a 298cc engine and it's an enduro frame with better suspension and heavier springs than you'll find on dual sports like the Hawk, Brozz, TBR7 type of bike.

TN38 is a $4000 bike, and you'll need to do a lighting conversion, get it inspected for street legal worthiness and plating (State police).

This would be much more capable setup for your needs. Riding alone would be much more fun and you could actually handle a passenger. Keep in mind that 2-up on a dirt bike of any kind is not exactly pleasant but if you must, you really need the power and suspension to handle it.

But, by the time you've spent the time and money on a converted 30hp Chinese bike, you may as well just go for the used DR400 or KLR650.

EDIT: I have heard that LIFAN might be introducing a bike with this engine and similar suspension WITH lights/horn. My guess is that the price will be in the range of $4500 if they do. Orion RXB250 is another one to look at. Only 20 hp, but the suspension is on par with the TM38. An it will cost less (maybe $3400).

Last edited by Thumper; 01-26-2024 at 12:52 PM.