Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2024, 01:18 PM   #1

Carbed hawk front tire clearance?

I took all the plastics off my bike and painted it the other day and noticed that my front wheel is considerably closer to the side that brake is in on. Is this normal? Just from looking the fork doesn't look bent or anything...Can't seem to find a photo of the carbed hawk at a good angle to check this. However sometimes the brake seems to drag a bit and sometimes it doesn't? If it's off the ground and I spin the wheel I can hear a slight drag at a certain spot, however if it's on the ground and rolling it's a 50/50 if I can hear it dragging or not.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Old 03-12-2024, 03:49 PM   #2

Assuming that the front fork doesn’t have a twist in it, and all nuts and bolts are tight, then a bearing seems to be falling. Thinking out loud here. Just my thought…

Old 03-12-2024, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
Assuming that the front fork doesn’t have a twist in it, and all nuts and bolts are tight, then a bearing seems to be falling. Thinking out loud here. Just my thought…
I was thinking the fork might be bent? but I'm not sure there is an easy way to tell without removing it?

I do already have replacement bearings and seals here, suppose I could take a look but the front rim is new-er. Has maybe 500-700 miles on it.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:19 PM   #4

Is the rim out of true, that also can cause the problem…

Old 03-12-2024, 11:28 PM   #5

Double check the distance from the bottom of the lower triple tree to the axle center on both sides and see if they are uneven. My Hawk was the same way out of the box, and I discovered that they every so slightly misaligned the holes for the axles on the fork lowers. I have to install my left fork just a tad higher than the right side. That may be your issue too.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-13-2024, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Double check the distance from the bottom of the lower triple tree to the axle center on both sides and see if they are uneven. My Hawk was the same way out of the box, and I discovered that they every so slightly misaligned the holes for the axles on the fork lowers. I have to install my left fork just a tad higher than the right side. That may be your issue too.
Mine are pretty much perfectly even, they are a tiny tiny bit off but it looks like that is because they are mounted a tiny bit off at the tripple tree lol.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:10 AM   #7

Thinking my wheel is out of true. I bent mine last year and got a new one and I'm guessing it came un-true. I assumed since it was new it would be true. Made an ass outta myself.

I went ahead and ordered tire irons, lube and a truing wheel/stand. Figure I'll need this stuff eventually as I plan on getting another bike in the next few months.

Wish me luck ya'll, I'm a newb at all this.

Old 03-13-2024, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7sithis View Post
Thinking my wheel is out of true. I bent mine last year and got a new one and I'm guessing it came un-true. I assumed since it was new it would be true. Made an ass outta myself.

I went ahead and ordered tire irons, lube and a truing wheel/stand. Figure I'll need this stuff eventually as I plan on getting another bike in the next few months.

Wish me luck ya'll, I'm a newb at all this.
I would think that if it was the rim being warped, then the gap difference would increase, and decrease with the rotation of the wheel. I just rolled my Hawk out, and with just the naked eye, the gap between the tire, and fork look the same on each side, but when I stick my finger better the fork, and wheel, it seems like there is just a hair more gap on the rotor side. I'm not particularly worried about it though.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I would think that if it was the rim being warped, then the gap difference would increase, and decrease with the rotation of the wheel. I just rolled my Hawk out, and with just the naked eye, the gap between the tire, and fork look the same on each side, but when I stick my finger better the fork, and wheel, it seems like there is just a hair more gap on the rotor side. I'm not particularly worried about it though.
It does a bit, the gap actually gets smaller on the brake side when spinning the wheel. But it's always worse on that side, never opens up enough to be even.

I suppose if trueing the wheel does not work I will order new forks and hope it does? I've heard the TBR7 forks fit and a pair is only about 80 bucks.