Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #1

Exhaust leaking

edit

Old 08-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #2

two things, you can get "muffler patch" from your local auto parts store. or you can stock up on black RTV silicon. i suggest the silicon, you will find a hundred other uses for it on your bike and around the house. some people use loc-tite, i use loc-tite(blue) and on nuts, i use black rtv to "glue" the nuts in place. hint- be generous when applying the rtv.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #3

edit

Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #4

No Joey but I'm gonna give er a go tomorrow.

I bragged that I fixed a muffler hole with JB weld a scrap piece of thin metal. It lasted for 3000 miles but after my ride today I noticed that my patch had failed. I was proud of that patch.

Canadian tire has a product that I almost bought like Inferno Metal Repair but a different name. It's more of a putty than JB. But it says it cures harder with extreme heat. We'll see. If not I'm back to Jb and the metal from an altoid mint tin. Curiously strong mint tins.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #5

I was thinking about this last night as we lay out in the back yard testing our new tent and was wondering what caused the exhaust leak, is the engine moving a little and causing it to leak at that joint.

I just redid my wifes exhaust and I hope I dont have it all so snug that it just breaks the exhaust somewhere.
On hers now the header pipe and the short section of exhaust pipe fit together so well that all I had to do is make four slots in the beginning of the exhaust pipe and slide the header pipe into it and clamp it with a regular hose clamp, no exhaust gasket needed as the stock exhaust had.

When our bikes were stock they had the typical type, round, silvery, fiberous exhaust gasket at that joint to fill the gap and seal the exhaust.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #6

i would like to see that. my exhaust seems to fall short. there is a 1/8 hole where the slots are cut in. like i said earlier, i just took it apart and RTV-ed thecrap outta the pipe. it still holds... for now. but if i can get a SLOID fit, i would go for that.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #7

This is how hers is set up now.

As you can see they pipes fit together very well and we actually got her bike down from the work stand and fired it up and it sounds very good.

I doubt she will get any kind of blow back since that chinese 250cc dirtbike exhaust is a straight shot thru.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #8

my pipes are too short to do that.. what pipe do you have? after market?

Old 08-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #9

That is a complete chinese exhaust(chrome) for the 250cc dirtbikes and I used the stock header pipe and cut the 250cc exhaust header to fill in the gap, more than enough pipe to do it.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #10

The product I got to seal my pin hole in my muffler is High Temp Steel. I used it to secure a small piece of tin over the hole, wait 3 hours an heated it with a butane torch/Pen, to activate. I'm not so confident. When it fails I'll try once more with JB Weld. But I thought I'd beat the rush and just start searching for mufflers now. :(

Old 08-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #11

okay, its a little off topic but, i got my bike in second gear and actually pulled and rode(for a short distance)a wheelie! this little booger is getting better (and falling apart) every day! i lost the rear exhaust shield while offroading today....

Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #12

sky rider:
My china bike ran better everytime I rode it for about a month and a half. I read that most others were getting simular results. Hard to believe, when it happens eh? But it's normal.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #13

Where did you get the muffler from?, It look great and want one for MY bike. Thanks

The Citadel

LF200GY-5

Old 08-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
The product I got to seal my pin hole in my muffler is High Temp Steel. I used it to secure a small piece of tin over the hole, wait 3 hours an heated it with a butane torch/Pen, to activate. I'm not so confident. When it fails I'll try once more with JB Weld. But I thought I'd beat the rush and just start searching for mufflers now. :(
Brother, your'e on the right track! I would do the J-B and tin patch, but would use a worm-drive clamp, or maybe two, to snug up the joint...providing, it would not be an eye sore...That should last 5 years or so :idea:

Also, I would consider a patch with a little more heat resistance than an Altoid can...Stainless sheet, maybe 64 guage, if aquirable.

Now if it is a poorly fitting pipe joint, I would try to better match the fit first, and then do the J-B/Stainless/worm clamp fitting.

Thinkin' outside the box,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #15

At first glance I would say the same thing tiger. The tin is too thin, but the tin didn't fail. I'm using Hi Temp Steel, but I don't think the JB is to blame either. I think that with the condensation in the pipe, the pin-hole under the patch keeps rusting. After a while, the JB has nothing to hold on to and after a while the tin is blown off and the pin-hole slightly/ but visibly bigger.

I hate to admit it but my muffler is 36 years old. 8O