Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #1

Blasphemy? - or - is it Treason!

Confession: I have been trying to make something out of my GY200 that it is not, a bike that is capable on road and trail [notice, I did not say 'street and trail'].

I have spent about half again what I paid for it on chains, sprockets, tires, etc. I am still not comfortable with it on the road. On the trail, it really shines though.

Last week I made the mistake of riding a KLR 650 and a BMW F650 GS, and F650GS Dakar, in that order. It was just too much to take. The BMW just felt planted on the road, and curb hopping, speed bumps, STEEP, loose, gravel road [on a Dakar], it was fantastic.

I have never felt comfortable or confident on pavement on my GY200.

I brought home a F650gsl last Thursday. It is not a bike for single track, jumping and bashing around, but for 2 up dual sport, it fits the bill.

I think if there was a china bike with similar displacement, I would have bought that, but there isn't.

Does that mean I can't post here anymore?

I still love my GY200. Maybe I can trailer it behind my BMW to the dirty spots. With a cargo capacity of 425 lbs, I can just about strap it to the back rack.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 AM   #2

I think we all understand. I also think the real appeal of these China Bikes
is most of us can get one for cash on hand with no payments. I know exactly what I've got and I go easy on my Rokata simply because I bought it to save gas. Thus far it has worked flawlessly for that but I don't push it real hard because I don't want to constantly work in it.
One day I plan to get something bigger as well so I wouldn't feel to bad If I were you. Enjoy .

Old 02-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #3

Beerslayer,
I hear where you're coming from. I'm just counting down the days, months, years? until I know I've gotten all the good out of mine. I plan to have it for parts for my Dad's. I know that I will want to go a similar route, but with a streetable XR650R. Until then, I'm just curious to see how far this little china bike will go. I'm at a little over 4300 miles and I ride it every day to work and every weekend for play. I'm just glad I was able to make a small investment into something that has convinced me to "go bigger". Until then, I'll just ride it like I stole it
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 02-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #4

Beerslayer,
Congrat's on your new Beamer!!! I think we all understand, I too am looking for an XR650 and I'm sure I'll have one before summer gets here... My GY-5 has given me the the bug to ride again and for that it has served its purpose and it gets me outta the house.... How cool would it be to post some pics of the Beamer with a milk crate strapped to the back, Ha, Ha.....

Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 AM   #5

You are only in trouble if you stop posting. This is a China Bike Website but it is a lot friendlier than any others. I say use both and keep posting. Congrats on the Beamer. I am trying to convince a certain importer that I know casually through ScootDawg to develop a 400-650 class true adventure touring machine for sale in the US. He is currently developing such an engine for ATV's and UTV's. I told him that I think the market would bear such a machine providing he could do it under $4000.

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com

Old 02-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #6

It really isnt fair to compare the chinabikes to the BMW/KLR/XL's.

Chinabikes are budget oriented bikes with reasonable roadworthyness and trailworthyness. It you want to do either or both well, go with the big boys. But, if you dont, you'll get by, and still be enjoying life!

A Big Mac and a filet mignon both cure hunger pangs...

Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #7

Re: Blasphemy? - or - is it Treason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerslayer
I think if there was a china bike with similar displacement, I would have bought that, but there isn't.
But there is! I can´t find the link, but the bike was wery similar to the F650.
Congrats to the new bike (I have owned a F650, drove it for 4 years and crashed it twice) they are nice, but too heavy for offroad use.
Visit the "chaingang" website for forums and tech stuff.

Keep an eye on the spoke tension and check for engine oil leaks!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #8

Just like you, I got away from cycles for a while. I bought my china bike to see if it was some thing I would like again. I wanted something to ride when the car is being serviced and uses a small amount of gas when I want to have fun.

I have had my eye on a KLR650 and I won’t be surprised if one shows up in my garage soon. My friends with sport bikes keep inviting me to ride with them on weekends and frankly I just don’t want to embarrass them or myself by trying to keep up.

My bike does just fine going to and from work and for quick runs to the store. On Sunday I found out that it does emergency stops well too. On my little China bike I know I am invisible, I’m just not sure how much more visible I would be on a 650.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #9

Found the link (It´s a 600cc):

http://www.jialing.com.cn/newjl/cn_web/600_sx01.html

You Americans can even buy it!:
http://www.jialingusa.com/productos/sport/jh600.html

Seems like Honda is involved?:
http://world.honda.com/JialingHondaMotors/

Jialing:

BMW:

Old 02-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Does that mean I can't post here anymore?
Don't sweat it. I'd have a new KLX250 tomorrow if I had the cash.

On the street, a 200cc DS is never gonna equal all the other bikes you looked at.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #11

Beerslayer,
I feel your pain buddy. I test drove a Kawasaki KLR 650 last week and it was the first time I had ever ridden anything over a 200cc bike.(my lifan) It was the ride of my life. I just couldnt get myself to spend what they were asking, but dont let me find something in my price range. I still love my Lifan. The Kawasaki seems too big for the type of riding that I do. I guess I'll never know! :roll:

Old 02-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #12

Not to worry, Beerslayer. Most of us lust after other bikes as well. In my case I had been wanting a CF Moto V3 Chinabike for the street until I found a late model Honda 750 for less, which was a no-brainer. It is nice to have something that will easily handle any highway out there. But lately, of course, I have been drooling over a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I guess that's why they call it a disease. But there is no substitute for the little GY200. I will never give it up as long as it will take me places.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #13

i've been thinking about getting a dr-z400sm for a couple months now. if i could get some cash saved up i'd buy one. right now my house is sucking every penny out of me though

Old 02-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #14

Great post ! I re-started my riding career by buying a big bike for off road.. a KLR650. It will go anywhere that a rider can take it. For me, the tight single track is too tough to ride on a 425lb bike. If I was stronger and a better rider, sure... I've seen guys ride the big dual sport bikes in many places you would not believe.

So I bought a smaller, lighter, more nimble bike to ride those kind of trails. The Lifan GY20-5. It will climb like a goat and squeeze between the trees and be light enough to ride the tight trails trails all day. Fun times for sure.

The bigger bike is so I can strap my tent, sleeping bag, camping gear and a few days worth of stuff on the back and ride across this country, hitting all the great dirt roads along the way.

If I would be cured of MBD, and only have one bike to my name.... It would not be over 250cc and 270lbs. A street legal dual sport bike. Something like a Kawasaki KLX250S or a Yamaha XT225 ( wait ... I have one of those...) Yea, it's a disease....

Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #15

I've been lusting after a 650 GS or Dakar for a while now. Afraid to ride one, that I may really come to dislike my little china bike and can't really aford the BMW right now - those suckers really hold their value. But I would love to hear more about how you are liking yours, particularly how it handles off road. I'm sure it is killer on the street.