Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #91

Send a message via MSN to max_damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
How does the LED taillight work?

I may add one for additional brakelight visability.

Allen
They work whell, just buy one with red plastic cover (not transparent).

Old 08-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #92

Zongshen first impressions

I purchased a 2006 ZS 200 Black and Orange a few weeks ago new in crate. This was a pretty big leap of faith for me; as I have not seen one of the bikes in person, and I have never even ridden on a motorcycle before.

The dealer arranged for me to pick it up directly from Zongshen at their Memphis warehouse. $1398 OTD . I'm still waiting for the MSO :(

I found out the crate will fit in a the bed of a full sized pickup truck, but the metal feet will scratch the hell out of the paint. Good thing the truck was a rental. Also, you really need more than one person to unload the crate. Believe me, it is possible to unload it yourself but it's not much fun!

The bike looks great. I was not sure about the color before ordering it, but now I really like it. I bought a orange and black jacket, and orange helmet to go with it. I'm sure I look like a big pumpkin rolling down the street, but my rationale is it might help cars see me better.

Once I got it home I followed the DS prep thread when assembling it. I did have one problem though. I struggled for a few hours trying to get the bike started. After taking half of the bike apart and checking every electrical connection twice, I realized it helps to have the kill switch turned off.

I have no done much riding yet. Mainly parking lots, and subdivision streets. I just realized today that my speedometer is in km/h. Is this normal for all China bikes?

I noticed I have an exhaust leak. I went to he auto parts store and made a gasket for it but I still notice some vapor at night in front of the headlight. Could this just be heat from the engine?

The other problem I'm having is figuring out the choke. The choke seems like it has two settings On and Off. The problem s I don't really know if it is off or on. The manual does not even mention the choke.
When I turn the choke to either extreme the bike seems to idle the same. Even when warmed up. If I move the lever in the middle the engine revs higher. Any ideas?

One last issue I'm dealing with is another example of my newbie status to riding. Since my bike does not have a Tach, I'm not sure how much I'm revving it. I'm not really sure if I'm revving it too high and I don't really know when I need to shift. Will an automotive tachometer from the auto parts store work?

Old 08-08-2008, 03:57 AM   #93

Welcome comrade Zongshen rider!

Cmike,

Congratulations on your new bike! You made a great choice getting the Zong, and you got a very good deal. I also ordered an orange Sierra 200.

My speedometer reads both kph and mph, but the larger figures are in kph. In fact, the mph figures are so small that they are very difficult to read at night. However, there are two solutions to this problem.

Using your memory is the first, simpler solution. If you multiply kph times point 6 (.6), you will get mph. Therefore, forty kph is very close to twenty-five mph. Sixty kph is very close to thirty-five mph. Eighty kph is very close to fifty mph, and one hundred kph is very close to sixty mph. These are common speed limits for the urban and secondary roads you will usually travel while riding your Sierra 200.

The second solution is to get some colored electrical tape from Lowes or Home Depot. Cut out some small triangular “arrows,” and mark the speedometer for some common speeds, e.g. 25, 35, 50 and 60 mph. You can quickly approximate your speed whenever the speedometer needle is between two of the pieces of electrical tape.

Interestingly enough, my odometer records miles traveled, not kilometers. I checked it by measuring a mile distance driven with my automobile. I then traveled the same distance riding my motorcycle, and the odometer clicked off one unit. If you travel a mile on your motorcycle and the odometer clicks off one point six units, it is measuring kilometers, not miles.

The choke for your Sierra 200 is located on the left handlebar. When it is rotated fully toward the rider, the choke is off. Rotated fully away from the rider, the choke is at its maximum setting. I have found that I never need to use the choke on my Sierra 200. Even when my bike is cold, it always starts right up with the choke fully closed.

You don’t really need a tachometer for your motorcycle. You can tell if you are over-revving the engine by listening to it. The engine sounds louder when it is revving at higher rpms. Unless the engine is lugging, struggling to maintain speed, upshift quickly to keep the engine sounds and rpms as low as possible. This will spare your engine and increase your gas mileage. Keep riding and you will quickly become proficient using this method.

However, if you still want a tachometer, an inexpensive, easy-to-install option is the Tiny Tach. Cabella's is currently selling them for $29.88. However, this unit only gives you the average rpm reading every 2.5 seconds. You can read more about the Tiny Tach on the internet at the following url: http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php

Even when I ride a motorcycle with a tachometer, I never look at it when I am shifting gears; I listen to the sound of the engine, judge its response to the throttle, and concentrate on safely riding the motorcycle. When I have a tachometer I only look at it occasionally, when I am cruising along at a steady speed. I truly don’t miss having a tachometer on my Sierra 200.

Drive carefully, and slowly build your skills riding your new motorcycle. If you haven’t already done so, I strongly suggest that you take a rider safety class, such as the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. You can find more information at the following url: http://www.msf-usa.org. These classes are superb, and you can frequently get a discount on your motorcycle insurance after you complete the course.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #94

Good post spud

I use my tach( of this new bike.) to set the idle, and when I tune the bike.
Once my engine was broken in on the chinabike, I never worried about reving too much. (it never had a tach,) I rode throttle wide open until I hit a gas station. Then I'd do it again, all day long.

Take it easy for the first while. Getting used to the bike and doing parking lot maneuvers is breaking it in nicely I'd bet. Change your oil stupidly often if you love your bike, and your bike will love you back. :wink:

Old 08-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #95

The vapor may be the oils/paints cooking off the new engine and exhaust. Should be gone within the first 50 miles.

Allen

Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #96

Re: Zongshen first impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmike
I just realized today that my speedometer is in km/h. Is this normal for all China bikes?
USA DOT standards require speedometers to read in miles per hour for all motorcycles sold for road use - but, and it's a big but, there is no specified text size. Many imported motorcycles use the same gage face worldwide and have very large kilometer per hour numbers and very, very small miles per hour numbers, and I'd guess your bike actually does as well.

If it really and truly has no MPH markings at all, it does not meet DOT requirements and you could demand a USA-legal speedometer from Zongshen.

HTH,
tcs

PS - There's no requirement on odometers, and many China bikes read in "kicks". I'm impressed that your Zongshen registers miles.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #97

Thanks for the quick replies. Without this forum and the combined knowledge of its awesome members, I would never have considered a China bike. The suggestions you guys have provided are great.

Here is a little more info on where I purchased the bike. I'm not plugging them abut they have been really helpful and I think I got a good price. I purchased the bike from Bobby Pack at http://www.lewpackinternational.com/ $1400 OTD. I know they have one black and orange left in stock. Shipping was only going to be $200 extra but I live close to the warehouse so that is why I picked it up. On a side note, the warehouse is not a dealer store. It is actually the Zongshen America warehouse.
Now it may just be a marketing ploy to get me to buy the bike, but the dealer said once the remaining inventory is gone, the new bikes will be substantially higher priced.

The tiny tach is a great idea and inexpensive. I double checked the speedometer and it does have MPH. They are just really small. The idea just to memorize the mph to km/h conversion will work just fine. I'm planning on checking the odometer against the GPS later today.

Setting the choke towards the driver is where I thought it needed to be set but at this setting I'm having a problem. This only happens once the engine is warmed up. If I give it gas in gear or in neutral the engine revs up but it very very slowly drops in RPMs when the throttle is released. For example, when coasting to a stop in neutral or first with the clutch lever pulled all the way in, the engine RPMs are higher than they should be. It is almost like there is some kind of major delay between releasing the throttle and the engine speed decreasing.
I have adjusted the idle screw when the bike is warmed up. It will idle fine but when you give it gas it slowly revs back down.
I don't think there is a problem with the throttle cable as the problem does not happen when the choke is all the way on. Someone in another thread mentioned it could be an exhaust leak. Any ideas?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #98

cmike - I bought my Sierra 200 from the same guy Bobby Pack. $1395+$250 shipping to CT. The invice from ZongshenAmerica said $900, so figure there is his profit. Either way, I thing it's a great bike for the price. Before I ordered mine, I was talking to a local guy on NJ Craigslist selling his USED Sierra 200 for $2K, now WTF is wrong with this guy:
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/746241981.html

I talked to him and he would not come down much, crazy how some people overpay and then think they can get they money back, I guess he's still trying to sell his. LOL. I did tell him where he can get his next bike for less

Ross

Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #99

Did you ever get knobbies? If so where from? I've been lookin not many options for the Sierra's wheel sizes.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #100

Slow Throttle Return

The lazy throttle problem sounds familiar. Think it may have to do with the twist grip body screws being too tight from the factory. Something may be binding. The cable pinched somewhere perhaps. Plus chinese throttles have a reputation for self destruct. :?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #101

after reading i figured i would post that since becoming a zong dealer i havent been dissappointed yet in the us distributor they have always had parts and even helped bail me out a jam i was in with a lifan. i really like the bikes and am eagerly waiting to see the new models. from what i have learned they are the biggest maker of motorcycle engines in china and seem to have a pretty good setup on their quality (i have even seen pics of the 600 prototype) and if anybody needs them im pretty sure i can get dp knobbies from zongshen pretty cheap if anyone wants them let me know ill check the price
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 11-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #102

I'm interested, would perfer some that are DOT approved. Was wondering If Spud had any luck with other vendor and just who is this other vendor?

Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 AM   #103

DOT Knobby Tires

Wool-Z,

When I was looking for the DOT knobby tires I did a search on eBay and found a Miami listing for the Zongshen Sierra 200. This listing had several telephone numbers listed to contact the sellers. I called one of the phone numbers and asked about off-road tires. The seller had them, so I ordered a pair.

These tires are manufactured by Kingstone in China, and I believe that they are only available from Zongshen. I now have 7,000 miles on the tires, and I am ready to replace the rear tire. The front tire is still in very good condition. I am pleased with the tires; they grip well in the dirt and wear well on the street. This is fortunate, because they are the only available DOT knobby tire I have found for the Sierra 200.

I don't remember the phone number I called to purchase these tires. However, if you are interested, please send me a pm (personal message), and I will try to find the information. You can also try calling Lewpackinternational or any other seller of this motorcycle. As I said, I am ready for a new rear tire myself. I think that I will probably order my next tire from the importer who sold me my motorcycle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #104

I had this slow to return throttle issue on ours too!

I took the throttle on the handle bar apart...just the top to that i could see...I saw that the cable had slipped off the little fulcrum or curved and dished plastic guide it sits in and was stuck between it and the casing. I got the cable out and rerouted it to where it was designed to go, but first put antisieze compound in the little groove the cable rides in to make it slide easier and then put it all back together. It works like a charm now..perfect!
I also lubed all the cables too...this made a big difference as well.
One other thing I had issues with was the power needed to pull in the clutch lever. For my daughter, it was too stiff. I fixed this by moving the hole that the end of the cable is locked into lower down on the lever making the mechanical advantage better for the rider. It still pulls far enough but has much less power needed to pull it. She now can operate it without having to struggle.

Over time I will find other bits and pieces that will need either redisigning or attention and i will post them up as i do.

Hope this helps