Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2009, 02:42 AM   #1

Need help figuring out what is wrong with my HSUN 200GY

The other day I was riding at around 60mph in 5th gear when all of a sudden it sounded like my engine got louder (I actually thought the manifold came off) and had a loud clank sound. I decelerated, and looked down to make sure my exhaust was on. Everything looked fine so I accelerated with the noise to try to find a place to pull over when my bike totally shut off. When I kick the kick start you can hear a weard whiney fast clanking. I thought that maybe the piston or rod shattered but The bike isnt locked up at all. I can switch gears and everything but just can't start it. Also, I took the right side panel off to check and when I went to put the panel back on I couldnt get the clutch ejector pin to function right. Is there a trick to putting this pin back in? Thanks for your help guys and gals! -Cory

Old 05-01-2009, 04:15 AM   #2

Cory,
I can't help with the pin as my Hongdou has a different arangement. Regarding the noise and non starting I would be looking at top of the engine (valves, piston etc.) not the bottom. The first simple check to do is a compresion test, this post covers covers it: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7807
If you don't have access to a compression guage to get a rough guide stick your thumb over the spark plug hole then kick the motor over, (may need an assistant here), make sure that the plug lead is grounded as the CDI may get damaged if it's not.

Jonathan.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #3

Check compression. Sounds like you may have had an internal engine component failure.

Drain the oil and check for any broken metal bits too.

Report back with your findings.

Allen

Old 05-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about that, PizzaRider. Your posts and success with your GY were instrumental in my buying one. I hope it's an easy fix. How many miles do you have now? Of course, even Japanese bikes fail, but it did seem like ChinaBike engine/transmission failures were fairly rare. That may have been because most of our bikes are still fairly new.

I'm up to about 700 miles on my HSUN, 99% off road...

Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #5

Hmmm, not good. I'd second the compression check, and the oil inspection. If compression checks good, and no bits in the oil, take a look at the exhaust gas emissions system and see if something has come apart there.

From your description, however, sounds like something let loose inside :(

seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #6

I really don't want to say it but it sounds like the piston siezed and the rod let loose.

I think the whiney sound is the crank spinning around with alittle bit of the rod attached. When you kick it around does it feel like there is any resistance?

Allen

Old 05-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #7

Well if it is the engine and out of.......dare I say it "warranty" that is a simple and inexspensive repair since a new engine can be bought for $200+ to $550 or so.
(Just depends on where you find it)

Old 05-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #8

Would a 200cc JetMoto engine be the same? Lifanoid?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #9

I had a Honda OHV engine on a pressure washer that sounded the exact same way when it died. When i took it apart the casting that holds a pin for the rocker had broken holding the exhaust valve in a semi open position.

How did you get your Hsun to go 60mph?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Would a 200cc JetMoto engine be the same? Lifanoid?
I dont know if they'd be the same but there aren't to many differences between most of these engines.

But research is the best way to go, you know first find out exactly what you have and then go looking for the same/similar engine and go from there.

I put an OHC in mine since it came stock with a pushrod engine, I just wanted to see if there was much of a difference (there isnt really) and it bolted/plugged in the same as stock but there are other engine layouts out there so its best to compare before actually buying.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #11

A guy is selling a 2006 JetMoto 200 with 300 some miles in a totalled bike for about $250. Says the motor runs perfect. I could look at it if you like...

Old 05-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #12

The whiney sound and rapid clanking sound like one of the balls in the main bearing broke. If it locked the bearing, the whirring could be the bearing has spun.

My Guess anyway... :?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!! I drained the oil and no chunks came out and no bits of metal. Where should I tear into to check the rod and piston? Please keep up the suggestions. I want to try to fix this my self because i think it is fun. As to how I got my bike to 60mph: I just put a 42T rear sprocket on it and broke in the bike the right way. It can reach 64mph. Thanks -Cory

Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #14

I think they said compression test.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #15

Ok will be doing compression test tomorrow. I did notice that there is very little resistance when i kick the kick start. -Cory