Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #1

v4sw guidance

I've been reading up on this particular ATV and really like what I hear! I contacted vbike and can get one for $1299 shipped. I just need a little guidance. Will I have to spend hours upon hours fixing / repairing this bike after initial proper setup? I am torn between a used jap quad and the china quad...I had a HiBird 200cc enduro last year and loved it, but it constantly needed tweaking! I want to get something that I will not have to repair constantly...something reliable....but most of all, something inexpensive! PLEASE ADVISE!

joeyo25

Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #2

There is a couple reviews of this quad on here and one fellow in particular with a lot of experience with it. (I think he loved it) I'm sure he'll see your post and give you his thoughts, but I would search through the forums for the review.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #3

I think I'm the fella TurboT is referring to!

My experience with the V4SW was EXCELLENT! Get it while you can- they are discontinued (should be able to get a better discount)- and Vbike only has one or two left. The one other site I found the same bike on, wants almost $1000 more for it!

I only sold my V4SW because I liked the quality of it so much, that I figured I'd be safe spending more money, and getting a Vbike model with more features that I wanted. I was wrong- the 250T I ordered, which was promised to be the same as the V4SW but with some upgraded features, was not as promised(although it is proving fairly trouble-free after having cleaned the carburetor) and the 300 Monster I ordered is a piece of doo-doo, requiring constant attention and had stuff breaking from day one.

I had the V4SW for a month(and rode it virtually every day on my farm- I'm not just a weekend rider)- and never had a problem- other than the rear brakes not working out of the crate- and I exchanged the non-workiong brake system for a good one, and all was well.

I don't know if I was just lucky with my V4SW, and just happened to get a good one...or if they are all good- but others on here seem to have positive opinions of them as well. I would say that the V4SW was close to Jap quality- and it was a BEAST! It flew; sounded great, stoppped good for having front drums/rear disc (the 250T sucks in comparison); was very stable (as opposed to the 250T) and nothing broke or fell apart.

Although I would refrain from buying another Vbike after my current experiences....I'd buy the V4SW again in a heartbeat- it is a LOT of bike for $1300- and certainly better than someone elses beat 10 year-old bike.

The one thing I would do to any Chinese bike from the git-go (and this applies to even the V4SW) is to take the carb apart and clean it out/readjust it; check intake-to-engine manifold bolts for tightness and install an in-line fuel filter. Doing this will ensure good performance; good idling and trouble-free operation for some time to come.

Just be advised, that the V4SW will throw a lot of slop at you when it is wet out, or if you ride through cow manure/dog 5h1t, etc. The scant fenders insure that everything ends up on the back side of your pants/shirt. But considering the quality of the V4SW, in hindsight, I'd just find a way to jury-rig something to deflect the crud, if this is a problem for you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask HERE before you purchase. (Vbike will just yes you to death)

Old 05-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #4

Great bike, I have run mine through plenty, and my neighbor ran it into the ground. Aside from a few loose bolt the only thing that has gone wrong is the battery (which is pretty common no matter what you buy) and the bracket that held the muffler on sheered off, apparently after a jumping it a few times.
Still well worth the money, I love it, and have been offered hundreds more than I paid for it be a couple people now.

If you do get one, make sure you tighten/replace/loctite every single bolt you can get a wrench around, this will save you a ton of headaches in the long run. Also get a vented gas cap

Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #5

Did you find a vented gas cap anywhere? Also, what about the rear wheel spacers? What is their purpose and where fo I get them? Any trouble finding parts for the quad?

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #6

I got 3" spacers on ebay for $20, one came loose and broke a wheel nut, so I replaced them all with some bolts I got from the local auto parts store and they've held up nicely. That extra 3" really did add a lot to the stability, just make sure you get them TIGHT and RED LOCTITE lol

Then because I'm cheap I drained dried and drilled a hole in my gas cap, stuck a metal nipple and made my own vented gas cap for $3 lol
I bet if anyone could get you one it would be tim, let him know you want a vented gas cap and I bet he'd help you find one, if not give you one.

As far as parts, haven't needed any. In truth I doubt parts are going to be overly available, this is the curse of the chinese quad. But still I will stand by the fact that the V4SW is worth every single penny of the cost, it's an amazing quad for the price.

Will it last 20 years? probably not. But provided you loctite/tighten/replace everything I think you will get many years of fun out of it.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #7

I'm almost sold...what exactly is neded out of the crate? How was the replacing of the break system? My HiBird would bog down when blipping the throttle...does this quad have the same tendency? How is it taking the carb off to clean...difficult? Anything else you think I would need to know may just finalize my decesion. My bro thinks I should go with a good used jap quad (since it's mostly him that works on them!). I just want something to have fun on, cheap! And, not have to spend all my time fixing...advice?

Thanks,

joeyo25

Old 05-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #8

4 bolts and 1 screw to replace the rear brake system- took all of 3 minutes (and I'm slow), but chances are, you won't have to- as others on here who have bought the V4SW received theirs with a good system.

No...had absolutely NO bogging with the V4SW. Did have bogging with the 250T, though. Seems cold idle was a little poor on the V4SW...and the obligatory carb clean and adjust would have solved that. Again, not a big deal- these carbs are ultra simple. Two bolt to remove, and three screws to disassenble.

I had been looking at used Jap bikes before I bought the V4SW. The old Jap bikes one can find for the same price seem really lackluster after the V4SW. None of the used 300cc Japs I tried had anywhere near the power of the V4SW..nor the neat gear indicator; nor the manual tranny, etc.

It wasn't like buying a Chink bike was a compromise. After riding some used Japs...the V4SW was a step up. Night and day.

This bike is amazingly fast for a 250!!! And as I said before, in the time I had mine, I did nopt have one problem or issue- it just ran perfect from day one- something I can not say about my current two Vbikes.

I just hope that Vbike still has one left for you. If it's gone...you'll be sorry. I can not recommend their other models as heartily. You'll pay $100 more for the 250T, and while it's still not bad for the price and better than buying someone elses 10 year-old Jap....it's not half the bike the V4SW is.

I think you'd be well-pleased with the V4SW- it seems everyone else has been. I can't believe they discontinued it....that was the one bike that did not suffer from the usual China-bike syndrome. (The two I have now, while not even a month old yet, seem to require constant attention and repairs- whereas the V4SW, I just put it together and rode it...and it required nothing).

If I could sell my current two Vbikes fast enough, I'd buy another V4SW.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #9

Just so you know. The email I received from vbike said the V4SW was not discontinued...where did you get that info from? They said they'd be getting another shipment in June.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #10

Hehe...yeah, Tim told me that at first, too- that the V4Sw was not discontinued- but then on the phone, when I mentioned that they were no longer on KMD's[the manufacturers] website, and that only one other place had them for sale, he admitted that they were not getting any more.

He doesn't want you to think they're discontinued, because he figures that will either scare you away from buying it, or make you want a discount.

Apparently ATV salesmen are like car salesmen.

We'll see come June...but I'm not holding my breathe.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #11

man wouldn't that be great. If he's getting more I am personally buying 5 just to sell here lol. I have gotten several offers for my v4sw and have turned them all down because I know I couldn't replace it.

And to sum up, loctite max strength (red bottle) I think they sell it at home depot/lowes and loctite every single bolt you can get to. The *only* problem I've had mechanical wise was loose screws and a crappy weld on the muffler mount. And I've ran this beast into the dirt lol

Get 3" spaces on ebay (for honda quads i think, I can look it up angain in my history if you just can't find them.)

In line fuel filter will no doubt help keep it running smooth. I did not do this on mine, prolly should.

Make sure you break in the engine right. I think there is a post about that somewhere on this site.

Lastly just be realistic. If you're out with this thing full bore doing jumps, chances are it's going to need work. I run it fast but don't do jumping with it heh

Old 05-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthalis
man wouldn't that be great. If he's getting more I am personally buying 5 just to sell here lol.
I'd even buy from him if he got more V4SWs in! -One for myself, and several others to resell!

I can't give the 250T or the 300 monster away...but I had no problem selling the V4SW!! (Got a chance to ride the 250T on the road today- had seen a dog laying on the side of the road, so I hopped on the 250T and went to see if it was still alive and if there was anything I could do for it- but it was already dead....but...uh...where was I? Oh yeah...rode the 250T 3/4's of a mile down the road...and it is definitely nowhere near as fast as the V4SW)