Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #1

My new sunL Kung Fu 250cc sportbike

Here's a photo of me on my new Kung Fu 250. Fantastic bike.
If your considering this bike, it does require a little bit of finesse to make it perfect.

I bought it from Town & Country Motorsports in Warner Robins GA for $1500 new off the showroom floor. Which in my opinion was a heck of a deal.

When I first rode it, the plastics were quite noisy, producing a buzz at certain RPMs. I corrected this by disassembling the nose end of the bike, and putting foam between all the spots that were vibrating on each other. The buzz is now gone, and its all quiet now.

The next thing I did was I had a airleak in the intakes from the carbs which caused it to surge at around 5000rpms. I think the air leak was caused by dry rot in the rubber compound. I just wrapped the intakes with some high temp rubber, and presto....problem solved. You could of course order new intakes if you really wanted to. They are around 12 bucks a piece.

The parts for the bike are DIRT cheap. www.motosportsparts.com has parts for nearly every china bike out there.

If you have any questions about this bike, just let me know.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #2

Good looking machine, What's the top speed?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #3

I dont really know.
Ive had it up to 85mph so far keeping up with a guy on a 08 Ninja 250.

Its pretty peppy. I need to run a quarter mile with it and see what it can do.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:03 AM   #4

Here are some of my observations so far.
It literally sips gas. Ive got 400 miles on it, and Ive only put about 5 bucks in it.

The riding position is comfortable. Feels almost identical to my friends nighthawk 750, but your a little lower to the ground.

The rear brakes are a little tight, easy does it., The front feels just about perfect to me. Nice smooth grab. No snatch or overbraking. Nose drop in braking is minimal, and the forks keep the nose up pretty well so you dont get that nose dive at stop lights.

The bike is a copy of the BMW F650CS, so it shares some really cool features. The tank is under the seat, vs between your legs like most bikes. The spot where the tank normally would be is actually a "stuffbay", and has a place for a hard shell tank bag or a soft tank bag that rides flush with the top. I have the soft shell tank bag for it.

The gas tank fill is a nice F1 racing style gas tank deal. Locks with the same key as the ignition. The seat also locks down with a steel locking post, so you dont have to worry about it coming off during a ride. There is a little space under the seat...about enough to put a alarm in there...which I plan to do soon.

The headlights are pretty good...perticularly the brights. And there is an adjustment knob under the headlights that makes it really easy to adjust them.

Dashboard shows tach, speedometer, odometer, neutral, brights, and turn signal indicators, as well as a gear indicator to tell you what gear you are in. Backlit in blue at night.

The handcontrols are bright flash button, low/high beam selector, push to cancel turn signals, choke, and horn on the left. And hazard, engine kill switch, and starter button on the right. The grips are nice fat ones like you'd see on a cruiser, with the vinyl centers and chromed end caps.

Its a 5 speed tranny, 1 down 4 up. 1st gear is short. By the time you hit 5th its pretty much 50mph and up. As far as the engine goes. Its a 4 stroke twin side by side. Dual Mikuni carbs pumped via a fuel pump that uses vacumn off the intakes to run the pump which works very well in my opinion.

It has a nice big super bright tail light. Which I like alot. And of course a luggage rack in the back.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #5

That's a CB you can be proud of. Killer deal, BTW.

1 down 4 up.. That's one of those odd CB sportbike things. My Kinroad (sold BTW) was 5 down, N on top of all things.

Enjoy!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #6

I always thought that was pretty much standard.
1,N,2,3,4,5

My other bike...a Sachs Madass was 1,N,2,3,4
The Honda Shadow and Nighthawk and the Gixr1000 Ive been on are also... 1,N,2,3,4,5,6

One thing that I dont like about the Kung Fu is that you really have to KICK it into gear. Its not just a light toe tap...you have to really kick it up into the next gear. Ive tried adjusting the turnbuckle to get it set where I can get some leverage on it, but its still seems really notchy.
There's been a couple of times where Ive upshifted only to realize I didnt quite get it. Maybe its just because Im used to the light shifter on my little 70cc bike.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #7

My bad I misread you. Yeah, that's standard. MINE was oppisite. Pull up to downshift and vice versa.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #8

Oh and for anyone wondering. Im 185lbs 6ft 3in. So as you can tell by the photo, its a fairly large bike.

Once your on the bike, get up to 45mph is a piece of cake, and it has enough power to get around slow cagers. The powerband seems to be in the 60mph range. Once you get it there everything smooths out, and it just wants to fly. Their is a little engine vibration in the handlebars, which can numb your hands on a 50+ mile ride, so some padded gloves might not be a bad thing.

As far as being affected by wind. Its pretty stable. It weighs around 400lbs wet Im guessing. Ive ridden it in gusting 30mph crosswinds, and it doesnt seem to get squirrely on you, you just get a little push on the bottom of the bike and a slight lean into it.

The windshield seems to work pretty well. It has enough upward push to the airflow that debris and bugs will go over the top of your helmet, instead of splatting on your visor. The windshield isnt clear, its got kind of a foggy look to it. Im considering airbrushing it on it to make it look a little better.

Im considering a tail job to it to get rid of the rear fender and all that crud...but I havent yet determined where exactly Im going to relocate the blinkers, or the license plate.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #9

Oh, and if anyone still needs a bike. Town & Country has another one, but its Blue. They also have a 300cc sunL cruiser in there. The nice thing is that its not one of those MSO deals. They tag/title it right there in the store. They also carry the complete line of Kymco scoots.

The guys at that store are top notch guys. Ive bought two bikes from them and tons of parts. They have good prices too. I got my little Sachs Madass for $1083 out the door. And then got all the stuff to do a 70cc conversion for under $150 which included EVERYTHING. New head, piston, gaskets, bigger carb, intake, filters, valves, etc.

I cant recommend them enough. They've always treated me right.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #10

Here are some more photos of the bike, including closeup so you can check it out.

Side View

Front View

Exhaust

Gas tank Filler

Dashboard

Stuffbay without the tank bag

Stuffbay with the tank bag

Headlights

Righthand Controls

Lefthand Controls

Front Brake Caliper and wheel

Headlight tuning knob

Engine. (yes, it has a two into one exhaust pipe)

Tail end of bike

Old 05-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #11

Man kick but!!!

Makes me wish I hadn't gotten mine, but I guess it would have been more with shipping and all. Still a sweet bike.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #12

For that price, I almost feel sorry for the dealer. He's probably paying you to take the bike.

I wished I got a deal like that. I, instead, bought an American Lifan one month ago. I'm still waiting for the MSO! My bike is in the garage, ready to go, but I can't ride it. And I'm getting irritated. This is AL; they're suppose to be the best of the best. I got much faster service from Vbike. I assume you have your title already.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #13

Yeah, the dealership handles all the MSO/tag stuff. From what I understand is they send off the MSO to the DMV, the DMV sends them back a title, and they mail the title to you. When you get it you take it to the DMV and they give you the permanant tag. I go to pick up the permanent tag on wednesday.

I dont know how they sell them so cheap. They carry Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat, and Kymco as their primary stuff. I think all the misc. bikes that end up there are stuff they picked up dirt cheap in liquidation sales from other businesses. I dont know. All I know is they normally have some cheap bikes in stock for a heck of a deal. I think they test them out to see what sells, and if it sells good, they start carrying them permanantly...like the kymco scoots which they have a TON of in there. I think they've got them for really good prices too.

Its a good business strategy, because many of the people that buy a cheap bike from them and get their fantastic service and help, end up coming back later to buy more expensive bikes.

The Madass 50cc bike I got was selling online for around $2000-3000 bucks, but they had three of them in there a while back, and I got it for $999+ tax. I payed cash and rode it off the lot the same day. A few weeks later I went back in to order a sprocket, and the guy asked me if I wanted a 70cc upgrade kit for it. I said yes, what's it cost? He said it wasn't something they normally would sell a lot of, so he'd sell it for $150. I slapped the cash down on the table fast! The kit runs around $350 online. Me and a friend had it installed in about an hour. And when I say complete kit, I mean complete. It was the best upgrade kit Ive ever seen. Not just a cylinder/piston kit like most upgrades. This thing had new intakes, new carb, new jets, new piston, new cylinder, new bolts, new gaskets, new bearings....everything. It was basically a new engine for $150

I had a flat on the little madass, and took the wheel off to go have them fix it since I dont have a tire remover. They fixed it all up in about 10 min. While I was waiting I was browsing around the showroom checking out the bikes when I spotted the Kung Fu.

They arent like most shops where as soon as you walk in the door, some high pressure salesman comes bumbling over and tries to sell you a bike.
They let you do your thing, and when you are ready they will help you out.

If you get a chance to visit them, I highly recommend them. You wont find a nicer bunch of guys anywhere. Ask for wesley, he's the one that hooked me up with both my bikes.

Whenever Im ready for another bike...Im definatly going back.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #14

Shifting hard

My Hi-Bird 250 shifted the same way. When I switched to syn oil it got much better.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #15

Nice bike. It doesn't look ugly like in the photos I've seen for other dealers who sell this bike. I would actually be interested in this bike, now.