Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
UPDATE:
Since the bike is still under warranty from Bike2go I called them and talked to Manny the mechanic. Once he was satisfied I had the kill switch in the right position he immediately said it was the CDI. He ordered it and it has been sent to me. I will post once I get it and get it put on. Thanks again for all the help. I hope my next post will be saying that was the problem. Great forum.
Good deal. I have talked to them on the phone too, they seem to be a decent place to deal with.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #17

Good point. They won points with me there.

Looked at the website. Good price here, like the color:

http://www.bike2go.com/dbc002-200cc-...ing-p-898.html

I'm almost thinking of getting one and setting it up for street riding, or just leave it in the crate in my barn as a spare....

Old 05-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #18

Here is their other site. http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...oducts_id/1014

Both companies are owned by Deeal inc

Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #19

I finally got a new CDI. I plugged it in and .... nothing new. Still no spark to the spark plug. It really ruined my day. I've got this new toy with 19 miles on it and it won't run. I'm pretty good mechanically but not so much with the electrics. I am getting power to the ignition switch and the lights and other electrics are working. I am puzzled. I am still getting a small amount of voltage from the CDI to the coil (about 1.4 volts) regardless of kill switch position. I will wait to praise or bad mouth where I bought the bike from. It has a supposed warranty. But let's say they haven't been terribly helpful so far. I appreciate this forum and the fact that people take the time to throw out ideas and suggestions. :?:

Old 06-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #20

Sorry to hear about the lack of result so far. Spark plug? Coil? Cable?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #21

Sounds like the same symptoms hensim has with his GY-6 scooter in the scooter forum. Keep at it and you'll get it going.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #22

Ok, if you have a new coil, and still no spark, then lets track it down. Check the ohms on your sparkplug wire from one end to the other, could be that the wire has kinked and broken. Also check the plug end, make sure the wire is fully contacting the clip that sticks on the top of the spark plug. If that doesn't show a problem, then go back thru the other side of the cdi. You'll have to check the wiring coming up from the engine. If the timing signal is being lost from the engine, the cdi won't put out a spark.

Also, sounds like Manny at B2go knows what he's doing so be sure and update him on your progress thru the wiring and see what other ideas he has.

When I put mine together, I took I think Forchetta's advice and after having made sure the wire connections were tight, filled them with dialectric grease then electrical taped and zip tied the whole mess to keep em from moving around.

On, one other thing, the other big wire 'ganglia' is the one under/behind the headlight which you would know about having installed that during assembly. I'd give each and every wire there a look see also and make sure all are connected.

Your last resort is going to be hand tracing each wire that even remotely looks like it has something to do with ignition and physically eyeballing each inch to make sure it hasn't been pinched, cut or otherwise grounded somewhere on the frame. on my bike, the welding was/is such a mess, I think I found about 20 spots I had to heavily tape/tie the wires so they wouldn't cut on sharp edges or get fried by the exhaust.

good luck and keep us posted on anything you find.

last thought, and its not a good one, if the wiring reveals nothing, you may have a failed sending unit on or near the stator in the motor.

seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #23

Thanks for all the advice. Thanks for the detailed response, SEER. I have replaced the CDI but not the coil yet. That may be next. I have traced a lot of wires but haven't come to any conclusions. I don't think that the CDI is getting a signal to send to the coil.

I'm going to seek help from my father-in-law this weekend. He's a licensed electriction that has forgotten more about electricity in the last week than I've ever known. I believe its something simple, and that makes it all the more frustrating. 8O

Old 06-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #24

Man, that stinks! Hope you get it going soon.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #25

PATIENCE

I still go with checking the spark plug, ignition cable and coil... start small

But don't be discouraged your better off than a hell of alot of people

Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #26

Problem Fixed! This has to be a one of a kind problem that is both simple and complex at the same time. I will go into a little bit of detail so that other people can check their bikes for the same issue.
I really do appreciate all the responses.

Brief Recap:
Bought the bike, took it out on the first weekend put 20 miles on it. Well worth the money. Took it off the truck and washed it off. It wouldn't start again. Natural to assume it had something to do with the water, well you know what assuming does.
I checked the normal things that many of you recommended and would have been my first inclination. Checked for spark - no spark. Then thought of short due to water somewhere, checked lots of wires, couldn't find anything obvious. I called Bike2go.com where I bought it and it had a warranty. The mechanic there said it was the CDI and they would send me a new one. I waited for the CDI, it took 3 weeks to get to me. I plugged in the new CDI, still no go. Got very frustrated. The last motorcyle I had was a Kaw 650 that I never did anything except regular maintenance on. I didn't really know much about the stator other than I think thats where the CDI gets the signal from to send a signal to the coil to spark.

THE PROBLEM: Through blind luck and perspiration I followed the wires that go to the Stator. The HSUN has a cover over the chain sprocket on the engine side that the stator wires run into. The cover is held on by two bolts. I thought I had the problem as soon as I took the cover off. POOR FACTORY ASSEMBLY. There was a nice neat channel for the wires to run through this area. Even has a protector clip. Problem was no one put the wires there. They missed putting the wires in the channel. When they tightened the cover the wires were caught in the lip of the cover and crushed. Two of them were crushed almost all the way in two. I spliced them and the bike runs good now.

I still have a question -could this have caused damage to the stator and should I have them send me another one while it it under warranty. It doesn't seem to run quite as good as I remember it running before it stopped.

My 9 year old also asked a qood question (I guess he's smarter than he looks). He asked how it ran at all to begin with if the wires were crushed. I guess there was just enough of a connection for it to work until it got jarred around some.

One more note. I still am impressed by this bike, just maybe not the assembly. Several people had mentioned how poorly their wires were run and issues like that. All the wires under the gas tank and other wise were neatly run and tie strapped up, with the exception of this problem. I am not bad mouthing the bike. I know you get what you pay for and I bought a cheap bike. I just didn't expect an issue like this and it took me by surprise. Maybe this will help someone else.

Thanks again. Stay Sharp - Ride Smart

Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #27

If you still have the old CDI unit, swap it back in and see if it runs like you remember.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #28

Cal 25, good suggestion. Actually already did that. In fact, I now have 3 CDI's because the warranty one was taking so long I ordered one off of Ebay. They got to me on the same day(isn't that the way it usually works?) All three of them, including the original run the same. I will hold onto them for the future. Bike runs good, it just doesn't seem quite as smooth as it did before. It seems like in the firing as opposed to the gas. I really wonder if there might have been some damage to the stator.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #29

The simple answer regarding damage to the stator is *maybe*. If those wires were shorted, it might have damaged something in the circuit. I havn't pulled mine to see what all is involved, but usually resistors and perhaps a diode or two.

I'm going to suggest something else however Pull the airbox and examine your air filter carefully, in fact, pull it and go down to the local shop and find a replacement, something like a UNI which is oiled etc. You'll want to check the path from the intake manifold, especially where the rubber part slides over that lip and is tightened down-make sure its in its channel and making a good airtight seal, then, make sure the lip on the rubber runner that leads into the airbox isn't partially crushed or tweaked. You want a really good seal there also with the filter element. I use heavy grease to ensure airtightness. The change in performance you're seeing may have nothing to do with the cdi's, but rather something working loose in the intake during your wiring explorations

Good luck

Seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #30

Oh, one more thing, pull and inspect the plug. If you haven't already, you might want to toss in an NGK correctly gapped while you're at it. . Could be that trying to start it with no spark all that time on a new bike, might have caused some oil/gas etc. to collect on the plug, then when you fired it, all that would have baked on the electrodes causing poor ignition