Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #31

I work in the dirt in backyard under the shadetree.

Sometimes I get some cardboard to lay on.

Allen

Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welle417
So Spud, does the XT225 directly bolt to the Zong Engine? ...
Yes, the Yamaha XT225 exhaust header will bolt directly to the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 engine. I like this particular exhaust header because it is stainless steel, and it is tuned to work well with the Zong 167FML engine and Yamaha TT-R225 mufflers. However, if you choose a different muffler, the Yamaha XT225 exhaust header will not be supported by the bolt that connects the midpipe of the TT-R225 muffler to the frame.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Yes, the Yamaha XT225 exhaust header will bolt directly to the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 engine. I like this particular exhaust header because it is stainless steel, and it is tuned to work well with the Zong 167FML engine and Yamaha TT-R225 mufflers. However, if you choose a different muffler, the Yamaha XT225 exhaust header will not be supported by the bolt that connects the midpipe of the TT-R225 muffler to the frame.

Spud
Good to hear from you again Spud I trust you're getting some solid riding time in (i'd hope)? 8) Thanks for the clarification though, you think if i get the FMF with the ATV clamps like DesertRider has ill be able to use the XT225? (sorry i don't have the bike yet and all i have to reference is a TW200, a few old yamahas and pictures of the Sierra- Much obliged! )

Old 06-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #34

I have a little over 200 miles on mine now, 100 since the new exhaust and running better than it ever has

Old 06-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

Spud
Good to hear from you again Spud I trust you're getting some solid riding time in (i'd hope)? 8) Thanks for the clarification though, you think if i get the FMF with the ATV clamps like DesertRider has ill be able to use the XT225? (sorry i don't have the bike yet and all i have to reference is a TW200, a few old yamahas and pictures of the Sierra- Much obliged! )
Yes, I have been riding the Zong and my Arctic Cat ATV.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7578

I have also been doing maintenance and modifying the Zong. In addition, I have been quite busy teaching motorcycle rider safety classes for Idaho STAR.

http://idahostar.org/

As you know, the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 closely copies the Yamaha TW200 airbox, carburetor, and engine. Therefore, exhaust systems designed for the Yamaha TW200 and the closely related Yamaha XT225 and TT-R225 motorcycles should be well tuned to the Zongshen 167FML engine. Therefore, I have recommended the FMF TurbineCore 2 silencer because several members of the Yamaha TW200 forum have reported good success with them.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/22527/ShowPost.aspx

Other TW200 forum members swear by the FMF Power Core 4 muffler designed for the Yamaha TT-R225 motorcycle. However, the Power Core 4 is very loud, and more expensive than the TurbineCore 2. You can buy the FMF Q4 model, which is much quieter; however, it is even more expensive. :( The Power Core 4 and Q4 models should mount very securely to the Zong frame at the midpipe, as shown in the following threads.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/58553/ShowPost.aspx
http://tw200forum.com/forums/22881/ShowPost.aspx
http://tw200forum.com/forums/23049/ShowPost.aspx

I now have a Yamaha XT225 stainless steel exhaust header in my possession.

However, I am wondering about the length and angle of the midpipe that comes with the FMF TurbineCore 2 silencer. If someone has installed the FMF TurbineCore 2 on a Zong, perhaps he can post some pictures where the midpipe connects to the exhaust header, near the frame? I would appreciate getting a look at the way things line up and connect together underneath the plastic.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #36

Hey Spud,

I got that Powercore 2 on order from Cheap Cycle Parts. Got it, a clamp and shipping total was $125. I'll post some pics when I get it put on.

BTW I am a Instructor for the SVIA ATV Rider Course. I am what they call an agency instuctor, meaning I teach to agencies such as the FD I belong to.

Haven't had much time to ride because of all the rain we have been having. I did get the Outlander out a couple of weeks ago and ran into snow that was still about 6ft deep not far behind the house.

Steve

Old 06-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbare
Hey Spud,

I got that Powercore 2 on order from Cheap Cycle Parts. Got it, a clamp and shipping total was $125. I'll post some pics when I get it put on.

BTW I am a Instructor for the SVIA ATV Rider Course. I am what they call an agency instuctor, meaning I teach to agencies such as the FD I belong to.

Haven't had much time to ride because of all the rain we have been having. I did get the Outlander out a couple of weeks ago and ran into snow that was still about 6ft deep not far behind the house.

Steve
Thank, Steve! I look forward to seeing the photos.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #38

*update*

Yesterday I took out the carb and re-jetted the stock from 132 to a 136, as I suspected it was running slightly lean from adding the new exhaust system. I also did the airbox mod to get more air in the intake. After testing a few, 136 was exactly what I needed. I think this has enhanced adding the new exhaust that much more, as there feels like even more power now. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #39

which jets did you use?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #40

Quote:
which jets did you use?
They were a kit for a Yamaha raptor 350 my buddy had, the kit had all jets from 120-160. He told me, (and he was right) that they would go right in. Once I got it out, the jet looked exactly the same size and threads as the factory one. Works perfect !!!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #41

The Zong's carb is almost identical to the Yamaha TW200 carb. Here is a pictorial I found on the TW. http://tw200forum.com/forums/29002/ShowPost.aspx Replacing the main jet is exactly the same. One thing I noticed, they have to add spacers to raise the needle, and the zong has the adjustable c-clip. Also, their stock jet is a 126, and my Zong's was a 132, so they must be slightly different internally, but other than that identical.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #42

Awesome! Great info.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #43

Ok Spud, pipe showed up today. On the Zong, there is no mid-pipe. It is the muffler section with a pipe and the header pipe. What you need to is cut the muffler pipe section about where the bend is. And then you will need to cut a section off the new mid pipe. Seal it up with some red silicone and clamp with pipe clamps.

The pipe is definitely louder, but not too loud. Gives it a nice grunt. Now for a test ride. I have to agree with Desertrider, this is the best mod for the money. The soft low end is now gone. This thing pulls noticeably harder than stock. Thumbs up all the way...

Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #44

That tire is just plain awesome.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Ok Spud, pipe showed up today. On the Zong, there is no mid-pipe. It is the muffler section with a pipe and the header pipe. What you need to is cut the muffler pipe section about where the bend is. And then you will need to cut a section off the new mid pipe. Seal it up with some red silicone and clamp with pipe clamps.

The pipe is definitely louder, but not too loud. Gives it a nice grunt. Now for a test ride. I have to agree with Desertrider, this is the best mod for the money. The soft low end is now gone. This thing pulls noticeably harder than stock. Thumbs up all the way...
Thanks, Steve! Your photos help a lot. I got a Yamaha XT225 stainless steel exhaust header, so I am going to replace the Zong's exhaust header. The XT225 exhaust header ends near the first frame pipe back from the exhaust port. From your pictures I can see that I have a bit of extra Turbine Core 2 midpipe to play with. I also see that I can shift the silencer itself back and forth a bit.

Other than the exhaust hanger, is there some support for the exhaust system? Have you attached the midpipe somewhere to the frame for support? If you still have the old muffler, can you tell me how much weight the Zong lost by switching to the FMF?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220