Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Your offer was better then mine. :wink: Not sure about the others. I'm not really in the market for an atv so that also played into my offer.
Hahaha.. fair enough. I didn't even really make the offer, just asked him if he'd part with it for less, since he wanted it gone... came back at me with the new price. I figured it was fair enough considering the 700+ pricetag new... way less than half new.
$525.00 Auction
$ 50.00 Auction Fee
$143.00 Shipping (Might be off since you are local)
$ 55.00 Lift Gate Fee
5% Tax

$811.00 or so, probably give or take 50 bucks.

Methinks you did great. I bet you spend about a hundred on cables and misc stuff to get it going (I hope less).

From the pics it looks pretty good. Look at the rear brake rotor, I dont see any meat missing at all, just a bit shiny where the pads grabbed it.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #47

Oh definitely, I'm not really in the market though, so that was reflected. You did good

Old 10-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #48

Hey Guys..

Thanks.. I feel good about the buy and wasn't searching for validation, however provided perfectly.

I've already won an auction for the perf. cdi, going to let it sit there until I can either win some perf shocks and/or the mikuni carb. Save on shipping.

The CDI was important to me, as it's loose and dangling on this unit near the front. With it swinging around like that it could have smacked around and damaged itself. I like how my 110cc Mini Beast ran with the cdi, so I know it's a good upgrade.

I already bought a plug at Lordco. They didn't have the NGK one, but he had the Autolite version. When I got it home, looks like the seller had replaced the original with a NEW NGK of the right number. It hasn't run with it yet the end was still silver, and it wasn't tightened in. (I took it out by hand).

So as now, I'm down my buying cost, $4 for a spark plug and 20 bucks or so for the CDI. My guess is I might need a .25c spade connector or two, and I should be able to get it running. The tire is up in the air, but minor. If I get it running for under $300 I'll be more than happy to beat on it like that for a while.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 AM   #49

Just found the blogs on Gio's website, this one might be interesting

http://www.giobikes.com/Blogs/techni...tarting-Guide/

Old 10-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #50

Hey Turbo, please let us know when you get it running and what turned out to be wrong... Curiosity is killin me!

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-25-2009, 02:41 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Hey Turbo, please let us know when you get it running and what turned out to be wrong... Curiosity is killin me!

Regards,
Stew
Hey Stew,

I'm sure you and everyone else following this thread is curious, so I'll oblige and inform!

W&G spent the day teaching me the finer points of the Beast quad. He's a wealth of knowledge and I can't thank him enough for his time and efforts, even though he's the "aww shucks, no problem' type.

I'm pretty sure the no spark issue was the broken spade connector off the coil, which looked to me like the wire from the CDI wiring harness sending the signal for the coil to fire. It was a black/yellow wire. We did top up the battery and give it a good charge, and corrected some other wiring issues and placement of things, but other than cosmetic and correctness, I don't think they would have caused the no spark issue.

W&G re-sealed the bead on the tire and it inflated as it should, we rode it around his backyard and it seemed to hold air, so I'm hopeful it's all done and dusted for the tire. Be a bugger to get it into the woods and have it come off again, but no way to find out but to try.

The throttle cable was sticky so that got lubed and adjusted.

Took the air filter box off (what a joke) and tried to clean it up and place the element in the right position. UNI coming after Mikuni.

It starts, runs, drives. Took a while to warm up and has some idle racing issues, but I plan to get the Mikuni for it so not too fussy with that at the moment.

Doesn't stop too well. We ran out of daylight, so the front brake cables need to be lubed and adjusted and a few other minor details.

Word to everyone, if you ever lose your key, just bride the solenoid connections. I'd say insulated plyers would be a better idea than a socket and ratchet... We were trying to returnt the solenoid to it's proper spot, which required loosening the wire nuts. Key was off, but as I was tightening managed to give myself a bit of a surprise, neither of us expected that with the key off... oops...

Big thanks to W&G AGAIN! We plan a test and tune ride tomorrow at Nickelmine.

D, feel free to chip in if you feel I missed something. I tend to get wordy and forget important things.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:22 AM   #52

You captured everything T. Thanks for giving me something new to wrench on.

Bring your camera along tomorrow, and we'll post some photos for the group.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-25-2009, 04:03 AM   #53

Good work guys, have fun

Old 10-25-2009, 04:51 AM   #54

Fantastic!

Glad to hear you two fella's got her up & running. Gotta love it when a plan comes together
Darn shame I couldnt be there to help out and share a pop with you both :(

pete

Old 10-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #55

Woot! Awesome job! So it did turn out to be those nasty electrons eh? Good to hear it's up and running, now your just waiting for a carb too . The airbox is kind of cheesy on the Beasts... Kind of reminds me of the airbox that was on my old early 70's Honda CT70 minibike, though I think the element was better in the minibike! Sigh, that was a fantastic little machine... Wore the wheels right off it! Couldn't be killed till I tried to rebuild the engine. Lol Good times! Have fun with your Beast .

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #56

Quote:
Woot! Awesome job! So it did turn out to be those nasty electrons eh? Good to hear it's up and running, now your just waiting for a carb too . The airbox is kind of cheesy on the Beasts... Kind of reminds me of the airbox that was on my old early 70's Honda CT70 minibike, though I think the element was better in the minibike! Sigh, that was a fantastic little machine... Wore the wheels right off it! Couldn't be killed till I tried to rebuild the engine. Lol Good times! Have fun with your Beast .

Regards,
Stew
Pretty exciting times, relief to see it run and not blow smoke and fart. When buying something with no spark hard to tell what it'll run like once the spark is back.

Should have pics of some riding with W&G later on tonight!

Old 10-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Should have pics of some riding with W&G later on tonight!
Looking forward to that!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #58

Me too! Pictures please, I live vicariously!

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #59

Quote:
Me too! Pictures please, I live vicariously!

Regards,
Stew
Hey guys..

Pics of our afternoon testing and tuning are in the ride reports section in the forum!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #60

Thanky, pics are awesome

Regards,
Stew