Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #1

200 Gio Beast Performance Exhaust

TurboT and I were talking about this on the weekend. From the photos on the Gio site, it seems that the Beast performance pipe has a small outlet pipe. Has anybody installed one that can comment on the perfromance over the stocker? Here's the pic:

The Gio Monster 150 GY6 performance pipe is a straight through design, with only one perforated plate in the way. Exhaust travels through a perforated tube that is surrounded by packing, but that only serves as a sound deadener. As well, one could drill out the perforated plate for even less restriction as necessary. The Monster pipe is the same ID as the Beast head pipe, so I'm certain that it is less restrictive than the Beast performance pipe. With a little welding and grinding, I hope to make it work.

Here's the inlet side:

Aside from the fabrication need, this seems to be a better pipe for the Beast. What do you think?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #2

Here's an internal shot of the Monster 150 pipe:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #3

I think i wrote something somewhere about my Beast performance pipe, not sure.
The pipe and CDI went on at the same time iirc, but i did run the bike a little with the stock pipe.

The exhaust note is ENTIRELY different and it revved better, NO doubt about it (CDI or Pipe I dunno). One thing you lose is the putt-putt-putt sound of the shorty stock muffler. You get more of a mechanical sound from the bike because in actual fact I think the performance muffler is quieter than stock at low/mid revs.

Being twice as long as the stocker I would expect it to be quieter when new, but I think it is baffled and packed differently than stock.

It is also 2 piece, unlike the stocker. From the looks of the flange on the Monster Muffler it may bolt on the the performance pipe header.

I've tried over the years to beat physics, but it aint happening...the pipe dia looks same as stock so other than appearance, sound, maybe baffling, it may not offer gains over stock...BUT harmonics, backpressure, pressure waves all play a huge part in exhaust performance (very very complex subject in reality) so who knows ;-)

EDIT: Based on you holding it in your hand, it is WAY WAY smaller than the performance beast piece. Looks like (if you were to bolt it to the performance header pipe) it will exit about halfway under the rear fender, if even that far. Since it is a straight thru design it may or may not sound incredibly obnoxious as well, but this probably wouldnt be a concern to me. Your backpressure would also likely drop significantly.

As for mounting, lots of areas to hang it. If you do this, i for one will be following closely

Old 10-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #4

Alright, screw it. I can recognize a good idea when I see it.

I'll let you know if it bolts to the beast performance header pipe when it gets here......

Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #5

You kill me Pete!

Please do some math when the new muffler arrives. Measure the ID of your Beast pipe at the flange and calculate the area. Then calculate the area of one of the holes in the perforated plate of the Monster muffler. Multiply the area of the hole by the number of holes and compare that with the area of the pipe. If the pipe area exceeds the total area of the holes, the holes should be drilled out to equal the pipe (IMHO).

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #6

Piece of cake or should I say PI?....yeah dead nuts easy and logical. Lower is a restiction higher is more than enough and close to equal, well, open er up anyway for the hell of it. You notice in my previpous post the failed attempt at convincing myself not to order it. Sigh...

Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You kill me Pete!

Please do some math when the new muffler arrives. Measure the ID of your Beast pipe at the flange and calculate the area. Then calculate the area of one of the holes in the perforated plate of the Monster muffler. Multiply the area of the hole by the number of holes and compare that with the area of the pipe. If the pipe area exceeds the total area of the holes, the holes should be drilled out to equal the pipe (IMHO).

Uhh could you say that again a little s.l.o.w.e.r? :?:

8)

Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Piece of cake or should I say PI?....yeah dead nuts easy and logical. Lower is a restiction higher is more than enough and close to equal, well, open er up anyway for the hell of it. You notice in my previpous post the failed attempt at convincing myself not to order it. Sigh...
Ok, piece of PI. 8)

I would try to accomplish an equal area if possible, because I believe in a certain amount of back-pressure. If the areas are equal, the only remaining back-pressure will be the turbulence created as the gases try to escape out of 15 holes. If they're too large, I think that the gases will escape too quickly, ala straight pipe. Oui?

Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
You kill me Pete!

Uhh could you say that again a little s.l.o.w.e.r? :?:

8)
Measure pipe dia at smallest point. Calculate area using pi 3.14

measure 1 little hole in muffler. Calculate area using pi 3.14

multiply that 1 little holes area by the total number of little holes to get total area of all the little holes together.

compare the 2 numbers
If all the little holes added up are a smaller total area than the pipe, they are a restriction.

If all the little holes added up are more area than the pipe, no restriction.

If both numbers are the same, they are about equal and match each other.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 AM   #10

You guys are just too smart for me so I need to throw some comedy into the mix once and a while, that way I feel like I can contribute something.

I do think W&G we should try both, you can do the monster to beast mod, I can try the actual Beast pipe, and see whats better... or worse.. or the same..

Old 10-28-2009, 02:05 AM   #11

Ok. That way, if you're not satisfied, you can always pick up a cheap Monster pipe and throw it on without welding (or so we presume).

Old 10-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
You guys are just too smart for me so I need to throw some comedy into the mix once and a while, that way I feel like I can contribute something.

I do think W&G we should try both, you can do the monster to beast mod, I can try the actual Beast pipe, and see whats better... or worse.. or the same..
nah, Im just explaining it wrong...

2" water pipe.....you have to put a fitting on it...store has 1.5", 2.0" and 2.5".....1.5" will restrict the flow (well not REALLY but this aint about fluid dynamics), the 2" would match up OK, and the 2.5" would work, but is overkill.....thats all there is to it.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Ok, piece of PI. 8)

I would try to accomplish an equal area if possible, because I believe in a certain amount of back-pressure. If the areas are equal, the only remaining back-pressure will be the turbulence created as the gases try to escape out of 15 holes. If they're too large, I think that the gases will escape too quickly, ala straight pipe. Oui?
Lots of things (like intake/exhaust flow) can be negatively affected by too little backpressure.
Its an interesting topic, but way above me. Lots of heavy duty math etc, but it is really very neat.

EDIT: It is already very very close based on the pic, but cameras lie.

I am ASSuming the plate dia is 2" and the header pipe 1" and I counted 15 holes. I am ASSuming the holes are about .250" dia.

header pipe area is .785sq in
small holes add up .750sq in

I'd leave it alone.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #14

I have the CDI and the Mikuni carb already and added the performance exhaust.

It added absolutly nothing for performance or sound (I do tend to not wear ear plugs so I may just not be noticing the sound diff).

The only thing it added was a nice look, and now I have a spare to mod/mess with :P

The only reason I got it is because it was only $20 on auction and I was already ordering other parts.