Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #1

Winterizing

I'm sure this a process for winterizing has been posted before but i haven't found any. What should i do with my Gy5 So i can start her up next spring?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #2

I'll start.

Keep it out of the weather if you can. Supporting the bike on a stand is better for the tires. Change the oil, remove the spark plug and add a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder. With the ignition off, slowly kick the engine over a couple of times to circulate the oil.

Some believe in Sta-bil fuel treatment, but I believe in draining the tank and carb bowl.

Remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger from time to time.

Lube the chain to prevent rust over the winter.

That's all that comes to mind. Anyone else?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #3

Is it ok to leave the battery on a maintainer all winter?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet_stingray
Is it ok to leave the battery on a maintainer all winter?
Yes, you can leave the battery on a trickle charger. If the motorcycle is stored outdoors, it is best to remove the battery, and take it inside your home. Then you can maintain the fluid levels in each cell, charge, and inspect the battery periodically throughout the winter months.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #5

I choose to connect a battery to a trickle charger only when I'm home and awake.

Yes, I can be over cautious. :roll:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I choose to connect a battery to a trickle charger only when I'm home and awake.

Yes, I can be over cautious. :roll:
I don't blame you, WG. I have left a trickle charger connected for several weeks at a time, without any difficulties. However, I prefer to remove the battery, and take it inside my home. I then attach the trickle charger every week or so, and remove it after it fully charges the battery.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #7

I ride my bike all year and as mentioned in other post I kinda like winter riding. If you ride in the winter be sure to clean your bike often or the de-iceing stuff will pit your aluminum and rust out your frame, so I wash often and coat the bike with a film of oil often. Also I always put a tinfoil wrapped cardboard piece in front of my engine when it dips down into the single digits.

As far as my lawn mower, generator, and weedeater goes. I just get out there every two or three weeks and start them up and let them run for 10-15 minutes. I put the trickle charger on the lawn mower every couple weeks too.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #8

I used my all year too, but if you are planning to not ride at all the I recommend the W/G method with draining the gas and the carb. Take the battery inside and keep it warm.

Its that or take is for a guick spin every couple of weeks. It doens't get the cold in Chattanooga.

Allen

Old 12-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #9

I'm not a huge fan of starting something up for a short peroid of time in the winter, primarily due to condensation formed, if not in the engine, then for certain in the exhaust where it sits and rusts things out. That being said, for anything under a garden tractor its probably not a big deal.

I also run fuel stabilizer all year long in small engines. You never know when something may break, forcing your bike or whatever to sit for awhile before you get around to fixing it, so I consider it cheap insurance against yanking off the carb.

Batteries come inside. Lawn tractor, lawnmower, weedeaters, blowers, etc live in the shed, expensive stuff gets heated storage because I have access to it, and the quads are going to be driven in the winter