Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #1

GIO Monster: Which belt?

I recently purchased a GIO Monster replacement motor, it was cheap, the shipping was not........anyway.......

The drive belt is a 743.20.30 (length.width.angle) Gates # PL30707

I will be heading into the final drive and will report on the final drive ratio.

The final drive ratio (13/40) appears to be 3.07:1

I have no idea what a "normal" ratio is? I see gears listed from (14/39) 2.78 to (17/36) 2.11 for scooters.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #2

Are you referencing two final drives, meaning the gearbox and the chain? I presume that there is a gearset in the box that multiplies torque, since scooters mount the rear wheel directly to the output shaft.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #3

I'm speaking about the final drive gear set in the transmission. (I'm in here removing the brake anchor pin block-off plug and installing a brake anchor pin)

http://www.partsforscooters.com/Vehi...e/Transmission

Specifically gear #6 that fits on the output shaft/axle being 40 teeth and the counter shaft gear #7 of 13 teeth that is the driver of #6.

The ATV/Buggy has a final drive ratio (in the transmission) of 3.07:1

I am working on finding out the final drive ratio for scooters (there is a range of 2.57:1 to 2.11:1 available), so far I have been told that something around 2.375:1 is not uncommon (16/38 ), giving around 7200 RPM @50mph.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #4

Are you planning on installing the GY6 in a scooter (hence the brake anchor pin)?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #5

yes

Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 AM   #6

Was it a 150cc scooter to begin with?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:56 AM   #7

Was it a 150cc scooter to begin with?

Not likely. There are certain advantages to doing a re-power of a small displacement scooter/moped. This motor was bought cheap and I'm getting it ready to install into something. I have, at the moment, a 50cc yamaha, that needs a complete re-fresh (in the spring), it may go there, or I might buy something. At the moment it is something to work on when it's raining, or snowing, when I have time available in small blocks.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #8

Please keep us updated as you make progress.

My buddy and I have tossed the idea around of installing a GY6 into an old BW. It looks like a fun project, and there's always room for mods. It's quite remarkable how many speed parts are available for the GY6.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #9

Truthfully a GY6 is wasted in a BW. It's not too difficult to get 6-12hp out of a BW, mine, sick as it is, still hits 50mph (with my fat ass on it). The idea here is to do it to something slow, maybe a Razz, or a Hobbit.

That said........

A GY6 is almost a direct fit into a horizontal BW (02 and later), with only washers needed to shim the motor mounts (the vertical BW will need some frame mods), the electrical system needs a relay added for shut-down. A short case is a direct fit, a long case motor will require some messing with the shock, either relocation, or longer.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #10

My buddy has an '07 Aprilia that'll do about 95km/h with him on it, but I really like his fat 150 Mojito; nice ride.

I think that my buddy still has a pre-'02 BW Leo Vince available for sale; do you have any interest in it?

Thanks for the post-'02 tips. I think that's the BW my buddy has, and it's a perfect candidate because it was a wreck.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #11

Yes, but...........

The GY6 motors we are buying are maybe 8hp, unless you buy a "4 valve", or a "big valve", there should be little trouble getting more out of the 2 cycle engine.

Your typical 8hp GY6 engine is $299US, at least $100 to ship, a wheel, bits, and pieces another $200 (I'm going easy here, $300 is more realistic). $600 will mod that 2 stroke engine to about 12hp, and last 2 seasons between re-builds, and you have a reasonably stock scooter to sell (higher value).

If you do a re-power of a "nothing", you still end up with "specialty build" that has only the value of the build in it. (02 or newer BWs bring $1500+ out here in nice shape stock)

Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #12

Please let me in on what a BW is?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #13

A BW is a Yamaha 50cc scooter. It is often referred to as a "Big Wheel", as the wheels are quite fat for the overall height.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #14

A "Zuma" to you US folks.