Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2010, 02:59 AM   #1

manual shift gio hummer conversion

Hey guys I'm starting a little project and I'm looking for any tips or suggestions you guys might have.

I bought a gio 110cc hummer and it's not bad but I really don't like the centrifugal clutch that it comes with. So I just bought myself a 125cc motor for a dirtbike to swap into it.
I have most of the details worked out,
I'm putting the clutch lever on the left side of the handle bar where the rear brake lever is now.
the right side of the handle bars is and will remain the front brakes.
I'm going to remove the plastic footwell so I can use the shifter on the left side.
On the right side i'm going to buy a brake pedal for a different atv and weld on a pivot point for it, along with the same style of rear master cylinder that is on the dirtbikes.

The only thing I can think of that will be an issue is the starter. the dirtbike motor is a kickstart.
So I can either try and find a way to make the kickstarter work on the hummer frame or I can try and swap the electric starter from the original motor onto the new one.

I would rather have a kickstart because I don't like the idea of depending on a battery to start it.

Any ideas or suggestions???

Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #2

I believe there is alot more involved with the electric start. I think it reguires a case designed for the starter motor.

Not sure how you good rig the kickstart. One option might be a pull start from a honda atc. www.dratv.com might be of some help.

Allen

Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #3

by cutting some plastic the kickstart should fit, i got a 125cc in my mini atv and i cutted 2" of plastic for the kick to works, you could find another type of kick lever or bending yours if it really dont fit.

easy mod, post some pics once done!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

I was thinking about a similar project, and I wonder what you could get a Gio 125 ATV engine for? They come with electric start, so you'd need to sort out the battery and switch locations. That said, it's probably less hassle to just buy one that's done.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #5

I dunno but I got the 125cc dirtbike engine for $130 shipped, so i'll try it first.

I really would rather keep it kickstart so i'm gonna try that route first, I figured I would have to cut the plastic for clearance but it looks to me like the rear tire will get in the way also.
My gio 125cc dirtbike I can start by hand with the kickstarter. so one idea I had was to bend it out around the case and mount it horizontaly facing forward so I would be pulling the kickstarter upwards to start it.

The electric starter does need a special case, I was hoping to try and swap that side of the case onto my new engine. If it turns out I can't use a manual start.

I'll have to look into the pullstarter off the old atc70s, I never thought of that.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #6

Let me have a look at my 125cc bike when i get home, i've been tossing the idea around in my head today that it would not be that hard to make the kick work forward. I'll look for some stock parts and make a drawing for you to explain my thoughts when i get home.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #7

No, it doesn't really look like this would be feasable, there really isn't anywhere good on the motor to mount something like what i was thinking about.

My thought for the day

Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #8

I don't know if the pull start will work with the manual clutch or not.

You idea of lifting the kickstart may work. I hand crank the xr50s.

Allen

Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #9

yeah my I can easily start my gio 125cc dirtbike by hand by pushing down. I don't think it would be much harder to mount the starter horizontaly and pull it up. and the kickstart lever handle will swing down out of the way when not in use.
I might have to mount it on a slight upward angle so the handle wont get caught on anything passing under the atv.

I went on the dratv site and they sell conversion parts to usee the atc70 pullstart on the loncin motors. it's about $115 for the kit and you have to use the cover and recoil assembly from the atc. So that might be a route to go if I can't make the kickstarter work. I had a look on ebay and there are lots of atc70 parts for sale so finding the pieces I would need to make it work shouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #10

That is how honda solve the problem. It worked for many years.

I think the kickstart idea is worth a shot though. Swapping case for e-start is too much work.