Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

Today's "fetch-up" in New Brunswick Canada

I bought a $50 Jawa moped last year, worked on it over the winter, and now it's ready to transfer the title/plate.

I arrive to do the deed, title, bill of sale, insurance papers, and, of course, my smiling face.

Ok, so you don't have a "book value" for such a thing, it's a moped, here: I paid $50 for it, how much can it be worth?

Oh, you want an appraisal, on a $50 moped?

(I shuffle out to get a $50 appraisal)

Ok, I have your appraisal, here's the paperwork.............oh, in your estimation the signatures don't match. Are you suggesting I am trying to do something illegal here? Oh, you want me to track down the last owner and do what? Can we simply call a police man and see if he thinks I am trying to do something illegal? No eh?

Do you normally treat folks willing to pay you money like a criminal?

Oh, you're not doing that? The appraisal wasn't you thinking I was trying to shortchange the tax? Oh, and the signatures, are you implying I'm trying to do something illegal? Listen: I bought the thing in good faith, the guy signed off on it, I don't care how the signatures look, I did not sign it, if his signatures appear different that is not on me, it's on him.

The saga continues Monday.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #2

Re: Today's "fetch-up" in New Brunswick Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
I bought a $50 Jawa moped last year, worked on it over the winter, and now it's ready to transfer the title/plate.

I arrive to do the deed, title, bill of sale, insurance papers, and, of course, my smiling face.

Ok, so you don't have a "book value" for such a thing, it's a moped, here: I paid $50 for it, how much can it be worth?

Oh, you want an appraisal, on a $50 moped?

(I shuffle out to get a $50 appraisal)

Ok, I have your appraisal, here's the paperwork.............oh, in your estimation the signatures don't match. Are you suggesting I am trying to do something illegal here? Oh, you want me to track down the last owner and do what? Can we simply call a police man and see if he thinks I am trying to do something illegal? No eh?

Do you normally treat folks willing to pay you money like a criminal?

Oh, you're not doing that? The appraisal wasn't you thinking I was trying to shortchange the tax? Oh, and the signatures, are you implying I'm trying to do something illegal? Listen: I bought the thing in good faith, the guy signed off on it, I don't care how the signatures look, I did not sign it, if his signatures appear different that is not on me, it's on him.

The saga continues Monday.
OMG.

Sometimes I think it makes these people's day to piss others off, and cause havoc for normal folk trying to do the right thing.

A few years ago my wife lost her wallet with her ID, Driver's License etc. She went to the Motor Vehicle Branch to get another license sent to her, but they wouldn't do it without 'other ID' which of course was lost. The lady is looking at her picture on the screen but won't issue her another one without her Canadian Citizenship Card, which she attained when she was 7 with the picture of a 7 year old to match.

Stupid stuff.

Hope you get it sorted Reveeen without anymore stupidity.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #3

Aye carumba! :evil:

Is there another place in town that understands service?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #4

No guys......it's the only game in town, the name says it all "Service New Brunswick" (the out lying spots to do this are predominately french, I can deal with stubborn, but stupid is too much).

I'm going to give the thing another go on Monday.

BUT, if you hear about an old guy with whiskers going postal in New Brunswick......guess who? (I'll get the police involved one way, or another, if I have to).

EVERY transfer of title I have done here has gone like this, I DO NOT DARE to try anything out of the ordinary.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #5

Here, the offices in the city can be a little tough to deal with (not all), but my local office has these 2 old woman that are so sarcastic, so funny, and so easy to deal with, I look forward to going there.
The last time i transferred a vehicle into my name, she wouldn't look at the bill of sale, because the wholesale valiue of the car was less than I paid. She saved me about $40

Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #6

They know me be name. :wink:

Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #7

My suggestion would be trying a different SNB location. The more remote the better. Typically anything in SJ, Fredericton, or Moncton proper tends to be more problematic. The smaller the office the less hassle you'll probably encounter. My brother often uses the office in St. George to avoid such hassles.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 04-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #8

Here in the US I think that there is a certain maximum IQ that a person can have and still be hired by the DMV. Anything over 110 and they make you flip burgers at the closest McDonalds.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #9

certain maximum IQ

This does not apply here. These are Provincial jobs, staffed by friends, relatives, and neighbors, of the locally elected politician at the time of hiring.

It is done.....I had to swear rightful/legal possession in front of a JP.

A $50 moped has become $250.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
A $50 moped has become $250.
Oh brother. :roll:

Glad to hear that you got 'er done. Got pics?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #11

This sounds like a typical government operation to me. :evil: I'm glad the ordeal is finally over. Indeed, let's see some photographs!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #12

I get my reggie's done in Sussex NB...they are glad to have you go there!!In and out in 15 mins.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #13

most people around here have to travel to the next dmv as the near one takes such pride in the increasing the suffering others. however i like to go to the local office, especially for a bike, i get the "what is this name" then i pronounce it and spell the bike for them, i also get "you will have to go back and get the dealer to sign this" :P i have even got "here's your title and tag but if this is wrong don't blame me" :? sometimes it helps to give your best Job (out of the bible) imitation "you sure are (or not) crowded today" after they respond just quietly smile and say "well its nice in here and i have nothing pressing for a few days" and smile again. but its a cure or kill, they either get you done,,,,,,or call the police 8)
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next