Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #16

Bike is running again!

My neighbour, who tears down snowmobiles in the morning and then rebuilds for a drive in the afternoon, came over to take a look.

We played around with the compression, but this didn't seem to be of great concern to him. When checking the spark he didn't like the look of it, even though it was sparking like crazy. To him, the pattern looked erratic.

I took off the chain guard to inspect the performance stator that was added (see my other thread). As he was cleaning the fly wheel and tightening the nut, he noticed the nut had loosened enough to allow the fly wheel to jump off the shaft key slightly. The fly wheel was reassembled and tightened and the bike fired up in just a couple of kicks.

As I look over the symptoms, this make sense. With the fly wheel shifted so was the timing. The plug would fire and burn gas in the cylinder, thus the dry spark plug, but not fire at the right time to run the engine.

I've re-soldered all my connections and put the bike back together. With all the thorough carb cleaning I've done the bike is running like a million bucks.

I want to thank all who responded while I messed around with this. Someone right near the start of this thread said it would be something simple ... and sure enough it was. I'll add a note to my other thread to be sure others doing the stator update are sure to secure the nut. There must be a tool for grabbing onto the wheel while tightening.

My son is grinning from ear to ear tonight!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #17

Wonderful news! Great neighbor!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:53 AM   #18

awsome dude

might i make a suggestion tho... go over the important bolts, remove and then put some blue locktite on them, then reinstall..

when i first got my quad and got it running, i was riding in front of a friend and he noticed the rear tire on the right side about to fall off.. about a minute before that we were topping it out down a street.. had that have decided to come off at speed.. it would have been bad..

just remember incase you dont know this already

blue loctite = removable with a wrench
red loctite = removable with a torch

Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #19

Glad you got it running and on the cheap!