Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #1

RSX 200E break in period

ok so I have just gotten a Roketa RSX 200E on 4/11/07. This is the 1st bike I have EVER owned. I purchased it brand new from a local dealer for a good price. He told me that since this is a new bike I need to be very careful for the 1st 6hr of riding it. He said that I need to go half throttle in every gear untill the break in period is over. He said to also only ride it until it gets hot and then let it cool down before getting back on it to ride.

Now for my question.. Like I said this is my first bike that I have ever purchased let alone rode. Can someone tell me exactly why I need to only give it half of what it can take in every gear until the first 6hr is over. Also what happens if I just get on it and "ride it like I stole it". ....

One more question, Is there anything that I can do to this bike to give it more top end speed. I have heard people talk about this bike and they say that it MIGHT do 70 to 75. I was wondering if there is something I could purchase for it or do to it to DEFINITELY get the bike to run at 75mph................

Sorry for all the questions but you guys seem to have your stuff together and so I figured that someone may be able to help a new rider out...

Old 04-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #2

Hey Shogun

I'm pretty new at this myself,just got my bike thursday.
From what I have read the biggest thing with these bikes is the gearing
For top speed you must have a 46 tooth rear sprocket and also in my limited experience a better spark plug

Old 04-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #3

In my opinon, if you are brand new to riding and this is your first bike, don't concern yourself with top speed right now. Concentrate and learning the basics of defensive riding. Drivers in cars won't always see you.
I would also recommend a motorcycle safety riding course.
Have fun and be safe.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #4

There are two main theories about breaking in a motor. The first is to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. This allows the engine parts to wear in gradually.

The other method is generally called the Motoman method and can be found here:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Both make sense from an engineering point of view, albiet from different ends of the spectrum. Points that I would add are:
Change the oil now.
Change the oil and check the screen at 100 miles
Change the oil, check the screen at 500miles
Change the oil, check the screen, and switch to synth oil at 1000m.

(All this info and more could be found by a search of the forum using "break-in" as the topic.)

Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #5

Ride it like you plan to ride it. I (and many others) think it's worse to bog an engine than to get it up in the RPM's. I would go easy on it until its warm, then I would get on it.
Locktight your nuts and bolts!

Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #6

I have ridden my bike since day one like I would ride it any day any age of the engine.
The oil was changed at assembly of the bike then again at 250km (150ish miles)
then again at 650km ( 400ish mi)
next change will be 1200km(750ish mi) and a change to synth.
I am running pennzoil 10-40 for motorcycle during the breakin.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #7

I would strongly suggest you heat cycle it 3 or 4 times before riding. It's boring and a pain, but air cooled engines get VERY hot when they are new and tight. If you take it out first trip and beat the snot out of it, you are asking for trouble. JMO.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #8

Well thank you all for your replys. I have 88miles on my new bike so far and plan to use that "motorman" method the rest of the break-in. I cant ride my bike today cause its raining here in stupid Alabama.. I will definitely be back on the form for later questions and also to let everyone know how the bike is doing over time. If you guys have any other suggestions keepem comming cause I can use all the help I can get...

Old 04-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #9

i just rode mine normal, i didn't start to eat on it till the 2nd day :twisted: . but seriously i would take it easy on it for the first couple of days. don't forget the rings are seated when you first fire it up, after that it's all bearing that are getting seated in. newer cars motors don't really need too oong of a break in cause the tolerances are so tight but who knows what they are on this bike.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:41 AM   #10

if you have a warranty you better take it easy.

WHY ?
because they all . ALL dealers. do not cover abuse.take it slow break it in. labor is about 60.00 a hour anywhere.and when us dealers open up a brand new motor we can tell if it was beat up on.bye bye warranty.

unless your rich.they go for it. but then you probable would have a got a ''big 4'' brand powersport.