Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
This whole post sounds very familiar, my front brake was rubbing and growling continuously. It was driving me nuts, I had ground the excess off the pads, checked and rechecked the bolts and the rotor to no avail. Today I finally think I have discovered the problem and fixed it. The left side pad(the floating pad) was enough undersized in the caliper that it hung up and was not sliding smoothly. I had some 3M aluminum tape that I trimmed to fit around the edge of the pad to shim it in the caliper. The pad now fits just snug enough to slide smoothly and the noise is gone. HOORAH!
That is wonderful. Do you have any photos? We love photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #17

I will see about taking the thing apart again and taking some pics, if this little fix really works Spud you know how we like to tinker and I had to try something.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #18

driller-I saw your piece and pics in the 'Brake Noise' thread, and thought to myself, "Self, that's a great idea. Why didn't I think of it?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Because, Self, I didn't have any aluminum tape or shim stock on hand. I considered a shim from a beer can, but I drink my beer from glass bottles, not cans. Besides, I had all that nice gasket material I spent money on so I might as well use it. Now, shut up, Self, and leave me alone."

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #19

Hardware store or even wally world should have the aluminum tape Cheesy

Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Practicing preventive maintenance, I've replaced the bearings on all my wheels. In the process, I discovered the Zongshen wheel bearings are very good quality. I invested in the Motion Pro bearing driver rods; they aren't expensive, and they make the job much easier.

http://www.bikebandit.com/motion-pro...LAID=338418890

Since I own several front, and rear wheels for my Zong, I purchased a small quantity of SKF, and Japanese wheel bearings over the internet from Bearing Resource.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7746

As an added bonus, I received a nice T-shirt.

Spud
Spud, your enthusiasm, "Yamazhong," is www famous. Yes, I referenced this board before I got my bike.

I'm still debating if I should defy economic senses and put more into my bike at this point.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Spud, your enthusiasm, "Yamazhong," is www famous. Yes, I referenced this board before I got my bike.
I second this. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and won't be buying my bike for another month or so. The write-ups and ride reports on here have made me more than willing to try out one of these Chinabikes (The dealer I found has Roketa brand, unfortunately no Zong.) but Spud, you are an inspiration. Riding year round in Idaho makes me feel more like I can ride year round in southern Nevada.

Knowing that there are so many resources available, and so much experience, definitely soothes my major doubts about getting a Chinabike. People here seem to be pretty awesome, and I'm looking forward to being part of the cool crowd. (No worries, I will post pics when I get my bike... I know how everyone loves pictures.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roketa200E5
...Spud, your enthusiasm, "Yamazhong," is www famous. Yes, I referenced this board before I got my bike...
Thank you for the kind words.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by acydrx
Quote:
I second this. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and won't be buying my bike for another month or so. The write-ups and ride reports on here have made me more than willing to try out one of these Chinabikes (The dealer I found has Roketa brand, unfortunately no Zong.) but Spud, you are an inspiration. Riding year round in Idaho makes me feel more like I can ride year round in southern Nevada.

Knowing that there are so many resources available, and so much experience, definitely soothes my major doubts about getting a Chinabike. People here seem to be pretty awesome, and I'm looking forward to being part of the cool crowd. (No worries, I will post pics when I get my bike... I know how everyone loves pictures.
Firstly, welcome to these forums; we are very glad you joined us! Secondly, thank you for the kind words. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to say something nice.

P.S. You are always off to a good start when you promise to post photographs; we love photographs!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #24

Spud, please take this opportunity to educate our new friends; wasn't there another bike that looks just like your Zong with different badging? Q perhaps?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Spud, please take this opportunity to educate our new friends; wasn't there another bike that looks just like your Zong with different badging? Q perhaps?
The Zongshen, Sierra 200GY-2 was rebadged, and sold as two other bikes: the QLink X-Ranger, and the Vento Mountrack.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Hardware store or even wally world should have the aluminum tape Cheesy
Hmm. My local hardware store closed , along with most of downtown when WallyWorld moved in. Because of that, and the fact that they are now threatening to leave if my town does not grant them another tax break, I refuse to shop there. However, there is always Mcmaster-Carr. :wink:

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts