Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Here's the answer (courtesy of Spud): http://motocross.transworld.net/1000...p-tire-change/

This video changed my life. I actually enjoy changing tires now. Buy the tools that are shown in the video; totally worth it.
He's quite fast at it too. Less than 24 hours turnaround, delivered. 8O

Thanks chap.
Only family gets that kind of service.

I bought the Tusk bead buddy and tire spoon that Spud recommended. It was a fraction of the cost of Motion Pro stuff. Changing tires used to tempt me to say bad words; now I think happy thoughts.

The tube I installed in TurboT's front wheel was hilarious! It's a Michelin super extra heavy duty tube that is 4mm thick. 8O The joke around the bike shop is that you don't even need to run tires with tubes that thick.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #17

Wow, that video was great! Gave me one of those moments similiar to such events as:
The moment you realize there is a differece between boys and girls.
Peppers come in different flavors.
Never mouth off to mom is you are in range of dad.

Daddy 8)

Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #18

also lube the bead with some soap makes it much easier

Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #19

Didn't you say that you did a bunch of tweaking to the spokes to get it from 1.5 inches out to 0.5 inches out though? So, if it was indeed that your tire was not seated properly on the bead and the rim was fine, wont it be out now? Would it be possible for you to "retweak" the spokes to get it back to original?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #20

yes i spun the rim without the tire. bad bad. so i spent another hour tweaking back to round, but now the rim is nice. but the tire i guess will never seat properly, i marked it,, it is off in the same spot no matter where i position it on the rim.. what causes tires to do this? just old?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkr58
yes i spun the rim without the tire. bad bad. so i spent another hour tweaking back to round, but now the rim is nice. but the tire i guess will never seat properly, i marked it,, it is off in the same spot no matter where i position it on the rim.. what causes tires to do this? just old?
Glad to hear you got the rim straightened out, it certainly does sound like a problem with the tire if it's not seating in the same spot every time. Could be age, but it's also possible to damage the bead sealing surface on the tire itself when removing and reinstalling it. If you are using narrow tire irons (or screwdrivers) and the tire rides up above the valley of the rim, the force required to get it back on the rim can actually bend or break the tire bead. Not the rim mind you, just the tire. If you have to exert a lot of force to stretch the tire on, it more than likely isn't sitting in the rim valley. Tires are pretty cheap though unless your going for something really exotic. I would double check the bead area on the tire itself for damage on the spots it wont seat on. If it all looks good, maybe you just need more soapy water to lubricate it? Let us know how you make out

Cheers,
Stew

Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #22

you can also put a srap around the whole tread of the tire, and start cranking it down to help seat it..

Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #23

i just got this.

the tire had 1700 miles on it anyway..

hope this seats up nicely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1858wt_686

Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Here's the answer (courtesy of Spud): http://motocross.transworld.net/1000...p-tire-change/

This video changed my life. I actually enjoy changing tires now. Buy the tools that are shown in the video; totally worth it.
He's quite fast at it too. Less than 24 hours turnaround, delivered. 8O

Thanks chap.
Only family gets that kind of service.

I bought the Tusk bead buddy and tire spoon that Spud recommended. It was a fraction of the cost of Motion Pro stuff. Changing tires used to tempt me to say bad words; now I think happy thoughts.

The tube I installed in TurboT's front wheel was hilarious! It's a Michelin super extra heavy duty tube that is 4mm thick. 8O The joke around the bike shop is that you don't even need to run tires with tubes that thick.
Tundra tires (the very big low pressure balloon tires on bushplanes) are like that. Just immense tubes that are fixed to the wheel. No tire, or tread per-se.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #25

ok new kenda tire and tube. still its not seating correctly, its not the rim cus whe n i rotate the tire the non seating follows the tire. it seats everywhere but 20 inches of the tire is in maybe 2mm but at 40mph its bouncing the front end, the rim is almost perfect, , should i get the rim balanced with weights?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkr58
ok new kenda tire and tube. still its not seating correctly, its not the rim cus whe n i rotate the tire the non seating follows the tire. it seats everywhere but 20 inches of the tire is in maybe 2mm but at 40mph its bouncing the front end, the rim is almost perfect, , should i get the rim balanced with weights?
I'm not trying to contradict you, but I'm not sure the new, Kenda, K270 tire is the problem. Can you try mounting the new, K270 tire on another wheel, which is known to be good? If the K270 tire mounts properly on another wheel, the problem remains with your old rim. If the tire bead won't seat properly, adding weights to the rim will not solve the problem. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894