Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #1

Ride Report: 35,000 Miles On the Odometer

Since my engine top end rebuild at 31,656 miles, my Zong has never run better! During one of my recent rides to the Blackfoot Reservoir, my Zong’s odometer passed 35,000 miles.

Traveling eastward, across the Fort Hall Reservation, I paused to take a rest, and a few photographs, as my odometer reached the magic number!

The afternoon was advancing, and I had many miles to ride. Therefore, I rode with very few stops until I reached a favorite trail overlooking the valley of the Blackfoot River. Leaving the gravel road, I rode along the trail until I reached a rocky cliff, overlooking the river. I dismounted my Zong and advanced on foot to the overlook.

The large rocks in this area are spilt in wide clefts. Below I have posted a photograph of my good friend Andy posing above one of these clefts during a different ride we took together.

During that ride we spooked a cow moose and her calf from these clefts in the rocks!

Proceeding on foot to the overlook, I resting a while, and took a few photographs of the panorama from the cliff, looking down upon the Blackfoot River to the south.

To provide a little perspective to the view, here is a photograph of Andy sitting upon these rocks during a previous ride together.

A beautiful little farm is located in a secluded bend of the Blackfoot River; I am sure very few people know the farm is there.

After enjoying the view for a while, I headed back to my Zong, and returned to the gravel road heading eastward.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #2

The land there reminds me of the cowboy movie's (westerns). That motorcycle sure has been feed right stuff. Enjoyed the pics of the ride.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #3

Awesome as usual Spud.

How's the saddle? Any signs of thread deterioration?

Is the speedometer getting a little hazy? If so, you could try wet sanding with 1500 grit, followed by a little rubbing compound (or even regular toothpaste).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #4

Your pictures are always enjoyed and appreciated, Spud. I LOVE the Northwest, and the Inland Northwest.

I'm thinking maybe next Spring we should do a Chinarider exchange program. I have you over here for a weekend of riding, and I'll go out there for a weekend!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseysand46
The land there reminds me of the cowboy movie's (westerns). That motorcycle sure has been feed right stuff. Enjoyed the pics of the ride.
Thank you, Jersey. I forgot to mention; the first five photographs in this thread were taken on, or very near, the Oregon Trail, which passed through Fort Hall.

Zongshen builds very good engines! Change the engine oil regularly, and adjust your valve lash periodically, and you should get many dependable miles from most small, air cooled, Chinese engines.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Awesome as usual Spud.

How's the saddle? Any signs of thread deterioration?

Is the speedometer getting a little hazy? If so, you could try wet sanding with 1500 grit, followed by a little rubbing compound (or even regular toothpaste).
Thank you, W&G. I am very pleased to report my Zongshen saddle is still in excellent condition! As you know, this saddle is very well used! However, my saddle has no tears, and no signs of thread deterioration.

P.S. My speedometer might be getting a little hazy, but the angle of the sunlight caused most of the haziness in my photograph. Thanks for the tip!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Your pictures are always enjoyed and appreciated, Spud. I LOVE the Northwest, and the Inland Northwest.

I'm thinking maybe next Spring we should do a Chinarider exchange program. I have you over here for a weekend of riding, and I'll go out there for a weekend!
Thank you, Doc. I like your idea for the China Rider Exchange Program.

Taking advantage of the nice weather, I have been doing a lot riding lately! After I finish this ride report, I plan to post three more, including rides to the Great Salt Lake, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National parks, and Idaho's tallest mountains.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #8

I did Yellowstone and the Tetons last year on the Wing. MARVELOUS! God's handiwork is very evident in those places.

Ride on Brother Spud. Life is short, summer is shorter.

I even took off a few days last week to ride and enjoy our waning summer. I'm not a winter guy but I met a nice young lady who may manage to keep me entertained.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #9

I was reluctant to leave my beautiful vantagepoint, but I hiked back to my Zong, and rode the trail back out to the gravel road. Riding eastward, I traveled the high road north of the Blackfoot Reservoir. On a clear day, you can see the Grand Teton Mountains in Wyoming from this road. The sky was a little hazy on this ride, but I want you to see the view; therefore, I have posted a photograph from another ride, taken earlier this year. In this photograph Grand Teton Peak is visible on the horizon, directly above my Zong.

Here is a close-up view of the Grand Teton, taken from the photograph above.

Turning southward, I was rewarded with my first view of the Blackfoot Reservoir.

Arriving closer to the lake, I stopped to enjoy the view, and take some more photographs.

The late afternoon light was beautiful, so I lingered around the northern part of the reservoir, enjoying the view.

Riding southward, I stopped again to enjoy the view from another, favorite vantagepoint.

Sunset was approaching as I neared the paved road leading toward Soda Springs.

As darkness fell, I left the reservoir behind, and rode the highway the remaining 60 miles back home.

I am very pleased with my engine's performance after my top end rebuild at 31,656 miles. My Zong reached 35,000 miles on this beautiful ride, and I have now ridden almost 38,000 miles on my Zong. The Zongshen, Sierra 200GY-2 is a great little motorcycle, and I am very glad I bought one!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #10

I gather that your GPS must be working well for you, getting you in and out of such nice places. Do the dirt roads or trails show up on the map? Does you cell work out there? Does anyone know where you are going in case you have a problem? Do you carry a SPOT or similar device?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I gather that your GPS must be working well for you, getting you in and out of such nice places. Do the dirt roads or trails show up on the map? Does you cell work out there? Does anyone know where you are going in case you have a problem? Do you carry a SPOT or similar device?
Basically, the answer to all you questions is yes. However, my main confidence comes from my trust in the reliability of my Zongshen, 200GY-2 motorcycle. I maintain all parts of my bike very well, and my Zong has proven itself to be very reliable.

I enjoy the bulletproof simplicity, and durability, of the 196cc, air cooled, Yamaha/Zongshen engine. Quite frankly, I would be very reluctant to ride an unproven motorcycle into the remote areas of Idaho I frequent.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #12

Neato, peachy, keen ride...I'm jealous of that country.
Thanks for the pics. Keep riding.
Bill R

Old 10-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #13

Beautiful pics Spud! You've logged more miles on your Zong than a lot of people manage to get on Japanese bikes... Says a lot for the quality of the build but says even more for your excellent maintenance and modifications! Ride on

Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #14

Thank you, Stew.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #15

I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of the ride. What beautiful land. Thank You.