Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #1

Some pics of the XR/Lifan project.

Sorry I did not take more pics along the way. I got caught up in the taking it apart phase and left the camera in the house. I also did not take pics of the rear shock exchange. That was a PIA, the whole linkage needed to come out to get to the lower mount.

I'm at an impasse now. I'm waiting on the electrical plugs for the CDI and the RR. I can't wire the new motor without them. I also need a sprocket, the XR one won't fit the Lifan, and the Lifan one is the wrong chain size. Bummer.

Tomorrow I hope to receive the fork seals. I have a seat cover but need to borrow my friend's pneumatic stapler to install it.

So, with no bike work to do, I'm gonna take my boat out on the river! Beautiful fall day.

Low mileage on the bike.

This is the cluster of tiny wires for the gear indicator. I will not be using this.

The main wires out of the motor. I'm irritated that there are 2 yellow wires. Don't they have more than 5 colors in China?

Leaky petcock replaced.

The old shock. It had no pressure or damping of any kind.

The old, siezed, motor.

The new one's data plate.

Part of the wiring.

Leaky fork seals.

Old and ugly, but I hope she'll be a runner.

Parts everywhere.

Here's where we're at.

The mounts.

Odometer. it actually works.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #2

Looks good! The Lifan engine fit the original mounts well? Is that the original XR exhaust header as well? Looking forward to you getting her running soon, the XR's are awesome bikes!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Looks good! The Lifan engine fit the original mounts well? Is that the original XR exhaust header as well? Looking forward to you getting her running soon, the XR's are awesome bikes!
Yes and yes.

I had to use the old intake manifold, and I may have to use the old kick starter, but other than that it was pretty straightforward.

Next obstacle is the sprocket.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #4

One pic of the frame without an engine.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #5

hey doc from what i can tell the 89 cr500 muffler would not "bolt on" to that bike.. but in all honesty it wouldnt take much to weld on a mount on the rear grab bar.. i will post a picture here tomorrow of my fmf muffler since its off a 89 cr500 and you can see how it mounts..

i will say tho a new muffler would look awsome on that bike, the stock muffler looks huge

but seeing those pictures makes me giddy thinking about doing almost the same thing this winter to the quad..

did you by chance look the frame over and fix any rust spots to keep the cancer from spreading ?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #6

I'm irritated that there are 2 yellow wires.

The 2 yellow wires are electrically the same (AC volts), so, with no polarity (or difference) why would you require different colours? It is only on the far side of the regulator/rectifier, that these two wires hook to, that there is a polarity, and the use of different colours becomes important.

You could hook those two yellow wires to a rectifier bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

(converting AC to DC)

Bleed of the excess voltage with a Zener diode (rated for 12.8v):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode

And you would have a battery charging system (old style), not as efficient as the newer stuff (the excess voltage is bled off as heat energy in the Zener), but a "basic charging system" costing less than $10.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #7

Thank you for posting the photos; you have made excellent progress. I always love it when I see parts compatibility between the Chinese, and Japanese bikes.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
hey doc from what i can tell the 89 cr500 muffler would not "bolt on" to that bike.. but in all honesty it wouldnt take much to weld on a mount on the rear grab bar.. i will post a picture here tomorrow of my fmf muffler since its off a 89 cr500 and you can see how it mounts..

i will say tho a new muffler would look awsome on that bike, the stock muffler looks huge

but seeing those pictures makes me giddy thinking about doing almost the same thing this winter to the quad..

did you by chance look the frame over and fix any rust spots to keep the cancer from spreading ?
Thank you.

No rust anywhere. The bike was stored outside for God knows how many years. The prior owner bragged 'It was under a tree' like that somehow does not imply neglect. This guy was cruel to motorcycles. I felt like CPS taking his bikes away.

No rust.

7.5 inches rain annually here on average. Sun faded though.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
I'm irritated that there are 2 yellow wires.

The 2 yellow wires are electrically the same (AC volts), so, with no polarity (or difference) why would you require different colours? It is only on the far side of the regulator/rectifier, that these two wires hook to, that there is a polarity, and the use of different colours becomes important.

You could hook those two yellow wires to a rectifier bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

(converting AC to DC)

Bleed of the excess voltage with a Zener diode (rated for 12.8v):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode

And you would have a battery charging system (old style), not as efficient as the newer stuff (the excess voltage is bled off as heat energy in the Zener), but a "basic charging system" costing less than $10.
There's some stuff I have no idea about! :roll:

Do I have to do any of that if I use the regulator/rectifier included in the kit?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #10

Do I have to do any of that if I use the regulator/rectifier included in the kit?

No, just use the stuff in your kit, I posted that stuff to illustrate basically what goes on inside the rectifier/regulator box. What you have is a bit more sophisticated and efficient, though probably not as "idiot proof", as in installing the battery backwards for just a "second", doing that IS guaranteed to "let the evil smoke monster" out of your Chinese rectifier/regulator.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #11

Here is what is inside your Chinese rectifier/regulator:

http://s397.photobucket.com/albums/p...regulator2.jpg

(thanks to Lynn Edwards)

Noting:
D4 to D7 (rectifier bridge)
and D1 (Zener)

Old 10-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #12

Good project, Can't wait to see more pics.