Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #16

Thank you, Brother Bill! I am so very happy you are completely recovered; God is good!

This is end of my righteous threadjack (if any such thing exists); we now return to our regularly sponsored thread. Please excuse me, Mike.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #17

Thanks for the update Doc. You're in good company; we're all sinners. I'm glad that you're healed.

Mike, here's another vid from the guy who put a Lifan 200 in his XR100: The sound sucks, but you'll get a better idea of how he created custom motor mounts. It looks easy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #18

He's not running an upper motor mount.

The Lifan XR engine actually has five mounting points, so missing one is probably OK but I'd want to weld and grind ( 8) ) another mount to do it right.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #19

On my Lifan XR 4/5 of the mounts were easy, the last one, the one in the lower rear of the engine, was a bit of a bear to line up. I bet that has more to do with the old frame than the new motor.

FWIW, the motor I removed did not have a bolt through the lower mounting point so the Lifan XR is actually more strongly assembled.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 AM   #20

I appreciate the weld and grind reference.

I just checked ours. It has two front, two rear and one upper mounting hole, all in use. The 200R model has 10:1 compression, and I bet it makes more power than the Lifan version, so eliminating the upper mount shouldn't be an issue. BTW, the Gio Beasts don't use the upper mount either.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 AM   #21

slow down guys one step at a time

cosmetics are first cuz those are very low cost and easy to do, then i will carefull cut the wiring harness where it has tap wrapped around to expose just wires.. then use brand new wires and recreate the stock harness but i will leave certain wire ends exposed for the cdi and i guess stator.. so that way i do get a motor i dont have to do anything more then plug swaps

i was going to end up replacing the tank, and look into replacing plastics.. i can recover the seat myself that isnt to hard..

i have decided on a red and black scheme..

red rims (if i can find them)
black frame and swingarm
black plastics with red decals
red handle bars (powder coated protapers)
black grips
black front fender
powder coated red foot pegs
powder coated rear brake lever

if i cant find anodized red rims i will go black rims, with a red frame

i do know of a company altho id have to search for them again that does custom decals.. so i could tell them to take the stock 97xr100 decals and change the colors..

the powder coating i can do myself, i have a spray gun and my brother n law said i could barrow his air compresser and then bake the powder coating in my oven.. its ghetto but the professionals just a big oven..

Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #22

You are a good and patient man!

I'd want to be riding the thing this weekend. 8)

I'd take some careful measurements and have a machine shop, or one of our members cut out some nice looking mounts. It seems like the top mount is optional.

I'd even bet there would be a market for those mounts if a machine shop could produce a few dozen examples.

As far as a wiring harness goes, it took me a couple of hours so identify, solder, shrink wrap, and route mine, but I have a battery and R/R. you only will have 5 wires including the kill switch. :P

As far as asthetics go, that's personal preference.

I think doing a cosmetic restoration of an old bike is more time consuming than fixing the mechanicals, and sometimes can add up in price too. :!:

If you really wanna go nuts, see it your bike can be licensed in Texas if converted to an XL configuration.

Then you can dualsport it and have even more fun! :idea:

Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #23

its going to be awhile before i allow myself to buy a motor for it, i can wait..

i think im going to try and hide the wires in the frame, for the clean shaven look to it..

shaven being, if you have seen picture or in person of a car under the hood you can see any wires.. its like the motor is the only thing in the engine bay.. thats called shaven, tucked, or wire hide.. you just simple reroute the wires to where you cant see them..

it might seem like over kill, but since its going to the bare frame for paint.. why not make her nice clean

well that and pardon my wording here but...I REALLY FOOKING HATE WIRES..