Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #1

roketa wont start

Someone please help me out. My bike has less then 300mi on it. I just changed the oil the other day and ran it for about 3hr. I let the bike sit yesterday and It WILL NOT START today. The bike sounds like it isnt getting gas, but it has a full tank. I am at my witts end with this thing. I kept trying to start it and the battery is almost dead, and the kick start is NO help. The kick start has shit for compression.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #2

there is a screw on the botom of the carb open that a bit to see if there is gas getting in there first

Old 04-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
This may sound too simple but check your kill switch.I have an atv that i had that problem with.Had to move the switch just a fraction and it started.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf119l
This may sound too simple but check your kill switch.I have an atv that i had that problem with.Had to move the switch just a fraction and it started.
ditto
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 04-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #5

Check to see if your fuel petcock is in the open position...

Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
shogun,

Check all the above on your bike and if you are still having a problem, loosen the drain screw again on the bottom of the float bowl and allow it to drain for a minute. Sometimes, rare but it has happened to me before, you can get an air bubble in the carb that will interrupt the normal fuel flow. Doing this will allow the air to escape and you can get it running again.

I can't tell you how many times in my many years that I have caught the kill switch moved to the off position. Happens to the most experienced of riders.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #7

Hey shogun
If all of this fails put a new Spark Plug in the engine...you may have fouled a plug.

{NGK D8EA}
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #8

ok so I put a new spark plug in it, checked the fuel lines and the petcock along with making sure that the choke wasent stuck on. Even after all of this the bike still diddent want to start so I just kept kick starting it untill I felt like I was gunna kill someone or smash the bike into 10000 piecesjavascript:emoticon(':evil:')
Evil or Very Mad and suddenly the bike started. I took it out for about a half an hour and let it idle for 2hr. Hopefully this wont happen again.

I took the bike out for the first time without my helmate and man when im riding it the bike sounds OLD. It sounds like there is sand or something in the engine. I dont know what it is but if it keeps up im selling the bike. Its been good so far, but then again ive only had it about 2 weeks. If anyone can give me some pointers or if you all have had similar problems please let me know what this grimy sound is, cause just hearing it im uncomfortable riding now.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #9

Did you change the oil?

The oil shipped in my motor was pretty weak stuff, never saw the first rev.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:48 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
I changed the oil right away, too, and then had to add a little the second time I rode it.

EDIT: Or maybe I could read the original post where he says he just changed the oil the day before...oops

Old 04-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
You might check the valve clearance as well. If it's too loose, the motor goes from humming like a sewing machine to a clattering case of nuts and loose bolts.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 04-25-2007, 12:25 AM   #12

Culcune has an AK, he can help you out but not in a good way...

Old 04-25-2007, 01:17 AM   #13

ya i just changed the oil and thats when my problems started.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:25 AM   #14

shogun
Did you use a motorcycle approved engine oil? or did you just dump in any old automotive oil? Be aware you Must use a Motorcycle approved oil. Car or automotive oils are not made to lubricate a 4-stroke motorcycle engine. Since your engine also has a transmission & wet clutch to lubricate car or automotive oils will end up foaming in the top end causing air pockets and damage.
Car/automotive oils are made to lubricate an engine that runs on aluminized bearings without any of the other parts.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #15

shogun,

I know you already got your bike started but just a quick tip incase you, or anybody else, has the same problem.

Going from a real simplistic perspective, an engine takes two things to run: 1. Fuel 2. Spark. If your engine has both, it should at least try to start. Its pretty easy to check both to see if you have an obvious problem.

To check to see if you have spark, pull the spark plug. Hold the spark plug by the rubber wire/insulator and place it against the fins of the engine. Then turn the engine over(make sure the ignition/kill-switch is turned on). You should be able to see a faint spark jump the gap while the engine is turning over. If you see a spark, that eliminates quite a few things. (NOTE: Be careful during this to only put one hand on the spark plug and do not touch any metal on the bike with your other hand. Its best if you can somehow prop-up the plug so that it sits resting on the engine and you don't have to hold it. Trust me, you don't want to feel the full brunt of juice from the ignition system.)

To check to see if you have fuel, you can remove the air filter and spray some starting fluid in there(with the spark plug replaced of course...and the ignition/kill-switch on). Then try to start it. If it tries to start then stalls, you may have a fuel problem.

I went through this exact procedure this spring when I got the bike out of storage. It didn't want to start so I checked the plug for spark. Spark present. Then I pulled the air filter and sprayed some starting fluid in. It started right up then promptly stalled. I tried this two or three more times until it stayed running. My guess is that the carborator was dry from sitting all winter. I'm not exactly sure how these carbs work. Do they dry out/drain somehow when sitting for a long time? I remember, when I first got my bike it took quite a while to get fuel to the motor. I kicked and kicked it for at least 10 minutes with zero results. Then, all of a sudden, it jsut fired up.