Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #46

Ok, I just checked on eBay, and this was the best value I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malco-Orific...item1e872bad70

Do you have a different search recommendation?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The difference with a Mikuni is that they use a much smaller slow jet; a slow jet for a similar set up to what you have would be about #25. I suspect that the Keihin has an air bleed that the Mikuni lacks, which means more fuel is required in a Keihin at idle. I should compare two of them and see what I can learn.

I have a couple of spare Keihin main jets with emulsion tubes (#94 and what I think is #109), plus I could probably find a few extra slow jets. Would those be a benefit to you?
I've read that Mikuni jet #s correspond to flow rates... not actual orifice size (like the Keihin ones seem to be).
All the PZ30 and fake K jets I've measured seems to lineup with millimeter orifice sizes.

Thanks for the offer on the extra jets. I think I'm good with what I have for now.

Here is a cheap ebay micro numbered drill bit set. My set also goes from #61-#80.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TITANIUM-COA...item51c4ba11d0

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 05-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #48

Took a nice ride around a local lake yesterday. It's about 15 miles around, with lots of hills and very curvy... perfect motorcycle cruise loop. My son rode along with me. The Runmaster ran great. The suspension is a little soft... especially with both of us on there (combined... 260-ish?). But I didn't feel it bottom out or anything jarring.

I'm going to need to look at that front rim. The wobble is a little annoying. Thanks for the Utube suggestion. On a positive note, I'm getting the hang of the "GP" shift pattern... and actually kind of like it... quicker on the upshifts.

I've found a Roketa DB07... with a seized engine (no idea how)... I'm thinking parts bike.
Update: and just went to look at it over lunch. POS. I hate exaggerated CL ads. This wasn't even close to nice... nor much else advertised.

Cheers!

Last edited by ripcuda; 05-11-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: I saw Roketa... ugh!

Old 05-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Ok, I just checked on eBay, and this was the best value I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Malco-Orific...item1e872bad70

Do you have a different search recommendation?
Thats a lot nicer than all of the sets I have put together! I do have probably all of the same sizes but in maybe three different buys. Be sure to use a pin vice and gently drill, they will snap off if they catch or bind. You can feel when the bit stops turning easily and pull it back to keep it from breaking. Brass has a tendency to grab a bit and takes more care than drilling steel.

It beats having to order and then wait to try a jet size. I was originally going to order the right sized jets after drilling and finding what size to get but once you get it right, I just leave it alone. As I said I over drilled on on the chinese 150 scooter so just soldered it shut and drilled it smaller. john

Old 05-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #50

This appears to be the same or very similar set.

http://www.amazon.com/20pc-MICRO-DRI...VDMSN943ZYTQ41

/

Old 05-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #51

Apparently these are also referred to as jewelers bits.

/

Old 05-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #52

This appears to be a quality set with nice wood case. You get 5 of each size.

http://www.amazon.com/100-pc-Micro-D...VNXCX9HN56XBPD

/

Old 05-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
... Be sure to use a pin vice and gently drill, they will snap off if they catch or bind. You can feel when the bit stops turning easily and pull it back to keep it from breaking. Brass has a tendency to grab a bit and takes more care than drilling steel ...
As I'm usually only upsizing a jet one #'ed bit size... I can usually drill them out by hand... holding the bit stationary and spinning the jet on it. Done a few that way with good luck. For my PZ30 slow jet... the jet itself chucks nicely in my drill and I can hold the bit stationary in a pair of duckbilled pliers. A drop of honing oil and goes through like butter. But many jets you couldn't chuck in a drill and a pin vise would work better.

Cheers!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
I've read that Mikuni jet #s correspond to flow rates... not actual orifice size (like the Keihin ones seem to be).
All the PZ30 and fake K jets I've measured seems to lineup with millimeter orifice sizes.
All of the Mikuni main jets I've messed with are also correspond with millimetre sizes. It's just a puzzle to me that the slow jets are so dissimilar between the Keihin and Mikuni carbs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #55

Quote:
Took a nice ride around a local lake yesterday. It's about 15 miles around, with lots of hills and very curvy... perfect motorcycle cruise loop. My son rode along with me. The Runmaster ran great. The suspension is a little soft... especially with both of us on there (combined... 260-ish?). But I didn't feel it bottom out or anything jarring.

I'm going to need to look at that front rim. The wobble is a little annoying. Thanks for the Utube suggestion. On a positive note, I'm getting the hang of the "GP" shift pattern... and actually kind of like it... quicker on the upshifts.

I've found a Roketa DB07... with a seized engine (no idea how)... I'm thinking parts bike.
Update: and just went to look at it over lunch. POS. I hate exaggerated CL ads. This wasn't even close to nice... nor much else advertised.

Cheers!
Glad to hear you got out for a ride; so cool that your Son was able to join you.

If you can steal that DB07 for cheap and it has a title, perhaps you should grab it. Parts for CG engines are stupid cheap, as are several other items for that bike.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
Thats a lot nicer than all of the sets I have put together! I do have probably all of the same sizes but in maybe three different buys. Be sure to use a pin vice and gently drill, they will snap off if they catch or bind. You can feel when the bit stops turning easily and pull it back to keep it from breaking. Brass has a tendency to grab a bit and takes more care than drilling steel.

It beats having to order and then wait to try a jet size. I was originally going to order the right sized jets after drilling and finding what size to get but once you get it right, I just leave it alone. As I said I over drilled on on the chinese 150 scooter so just soldered it shut and drilled it smaller. john
John, what kind of drill do you use with orifice bits?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
This appears to be a quality set with nice wood case. You get 5 of each size.

http://www.amazon.com/100-pc-Micro-D...VNXCX9HN56XBPD

/
Not a bad idea, but I'm going to start with a cheaper set, to see if I actually use them.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #58

Quote:
As I'm usually only upsizing a jet one #'ed bit size... I can usually drill them out by hand... holding the bit stationary and spinning the jet on it. Done a few that way with good luck. For my PZ30 slow jet... the jet itself chucks nicely in my drill and I can hold the bit stationary in a pair of duckbilled pliers. A drop of honing oil and goes through like butter. But many jets you couldn't chuck in a drill and a pin vise would work better.

Cheers!
I never thought of chucking the bit into the drill; good thinking.

I'm planning on buying a small drill for this purpose. Any recommendations?

Old 05-12-2015, 12:09 AM   #59

A pin vice is the best. You twist it with fingers, about same as rolling a pencil around in your fingers. If the bit catches like happens when drilling in brass you can feel it and keep from snappng off the bit. A power drill ......you can't feel it catch and they snap off.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 AM   #60

Like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality...item463230ad68