Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2023, 09:02 PM   #1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDLion View Post
I was wanting to find an analog oil temp gauge to monitor my new Templar X. I saw throughout this thread the Suzuki RMZ250 was quite a similar bike to the Templar. So I took a chance and bought this oil cap gauge which fits that Suzuki. Can confirm fits the Templar X perfect! (Note: this is the HTT-2 model)

Attachment 28897

Attachment 28898

Attachment 28899

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rod_image&th=1

I am having trouble getting the Templar to start for the first time. Right now I am thinking its either valves, or carb is clogged perhaps. When I get it running I will update on if this temp gauge works/provides some value.
Looks like only HTT-1 is available now :( not sure if that would work, but its pretty cool nonetheless to have a working oil temp guage

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-29-2023, 09:38 PM   #1262

I grabbed one of the HTT-2 & I can confirm it's a perfect fit on the ZS-172FMM 5 speed. Thread orientation alignment it spot on and quality is high. Thanks DanDLion for the information. Hope you get your bike up and running...

Old 03-29-2023, 09:43 PM   #1263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
I grabbed one of the HTT-2 & I can confirm it's a perfect fit on the ZS-172FMM 5 speed. Thread orientation alignment it spot on and quality is high. Thanks DanDLion for the information. Hope you get your bike up and running...
What kind of temps are you seeing after some riding?

Old 03-29-2023, 10:46 PM   #1264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Good notes on the thread alignment and quality! I forgot to mention I really liked it.

Thanks Nutcracker, I have been putting in a lot of late nights this week to get a project out on time. But come this weekend I will have some time to wrench and update!

Old 04-03-2023, 01:09 PM   #1265

Stole a little time. The replacement (red) stickers for my (silver) bike had transfer paper on them. Kind of see through. So I traced the stripes and numbers on that and then transferred it to the vinyl I bought with an Xacto knife. First time using vinyl wrap and I expected to redo it but it came out pretty well. For the second attempt I'm going to scan the stickers onto the PC and then talk my buddy into running them through his vinyl cutter.
The vinyl was a perfect match. The silver OK, but too glittery. The gray....too dark. OK from far enough away. No big deal. A lot better than the original damaged one.

Went to my daughter's and helped the ATV's destroy her back yard a bit. Enough room and dirt to stretch its legs a bit. Fun. Two son-in-laws gave it a ride and approved. One said he had to get off, it had enough power for him to get in trouble. Other hadn't ridden in literally years. I think he just got the bug to start looking at bikes.

Looking at fender mud I saw a couple of tail light wires had come off again. Fine. Added a bolt and tab though a dimple in the plastic and then a carefully placed smaller one of to the side. Then a piece of plastic conduit over the connectors. I don't have a lot of faith in even this being a permanent fix but I'm sure it's better than dangling wires.

And while I had all that I finally swapped in my uprated battery. Noting the miles stayed on the odometer like they should. Only 20 miles. Going to be forever before I get this thing broken in.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:36 PM   #1266

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
What kind of temps are you seeing after some riding?
I saw 175°F after my first 3 mile ride.

And 200°F after my second ride at 6 miles.

Both rides with minimal idling, and keeping speed and rpms low for break-in period.

So it does seem to work, although I would like to stick a meat thermometer down into the oil after a ride an compare it to this gauge.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:17 PM   #1267

I really like that oil temp gauge/cap but can't find one other than HTT-1. I did find the manufacturer. Now I need to measure my oem oil dipstick unless someone already knows the length. I'm hopeful that one of these HTT-3/4/5/6 caps will work.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:38 AM   #1268

Please keep us posted, also want to get one if we can figure out which works as an alternate

Old 04-05-2023, 04:25 PM   #1269

Quote:
Please keep us posted, also want to get one if we can figure out which works as an alternate
I measured my oil dipstick today and got 128mm overall, 106mm to max oil level. The longest oil temp gauge/dipstick HTT makes is the HTT-6 at 106mm. I may ask them about making a longer version, minimum quantity, cost.

Edit: I contacted HTT and will post back when I hear from them. I found similar items on Alibaba but not as nice looking.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:35 PM   #1270

I thought these were just a cap that screws in and reads temp, no actual dipstick?

Old 04-05-2023, 04:42 PM   #1271

Quote:
I thought these were just a cap that screws in and reads temp, no actual dipstick?
tknj99 that is exactly what I have with the HTT-2, no dipstick. It does still read temps, not sure on accuracy however if its not sitting in the oil, but at the same time if its operating correctly at X temp and I see it change, that's an indicator itself even if its not a precise measurement. After each ride or break I like to just see what its at for back of the mind data collection to learn whats normal.

A dipstick would be nice, or even better yet a sightglass hmmmm

Old 04-05-2023, 04:59 PM   #1272

The HTT-1 & 2 are oil caps with a temp gauge. HTT-3 thru 6 also feature a dipstick (as shown in the link I posted). I would be okay with HTT-2 but if possible would prefer having a dipstick also.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:42 PM   #1273

I ran across this and it reminded me of the last posts. This is what some folks in the Harley side do. Just a simple metering if needed and keep the oil cap and dipstick plus a general routine to get going on a cold start.

I don’t have any oil measurement and not planning it. I’m pretty bog standard Templar owner, I even still run oem spark plug and carburetor only changing out the jets, I have nearly 600 miles on the clock and no valve adjustments. I start and warm my bike up while finishing gearing up before starting a ride and I go slowly through the neighborhood estate before reaching an exit and starting to really flog the throttle. So far it’s been running like a dream without issues. The only change I did for high speeds is moving my fork adjustments back towards the triple tee top. Ever since then I’ve not adjusted anything on the bike. Just clean the chain and lube every month or so.

- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 04-06-2023, 05:02 PM   #1274

Pete... adjust those valves. It is pretty easy on these 172FMM engines and it WILL make it run better.

Remove the spark plug, remove the side cap an put a 14mm (15mm?) socket onto the end of the crankshaft (stator side). Open the sight capjust above the stator, and you are halfway there.

Pop the exhaust valve cover (crescent will do). Rotate the crank counterclockwise to the | T mark. The valve is open, or closed. Rotate it another 360 degrees, it is open or closed. When you figure out which is valve closed (gap open), set it to 0.001-0.002" I find that this is 1/8th turn from gentle full close to no gap. Cap it up and repeat on the intake... done. This gap just barely feels perceptible by hand on the rocker. Perfect.

This is OHC, and there are no long rods to exacerbate heat changes, so these are tight clearances.

Go for it! Tell us if it makes any difference. It may idle more stably, rev quicker, more smoothly. And it will protect those valve seats!

Last edited by Thumper; 04-07-2023 at 02:57 AM.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:18 AM   #1275

HTT hasn't responded yet so I ordered one of these to test fit. If it fits I'll cut the dipstick to length and score some notches in for low/high oil level.

Techtip: If you want to make a dipstick easier to read use some sandpaper.