Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2023, 08:51 AM   #1156

I will install and test the Naraku adjustable CDI box today, after warming up the bike on the short ride.

PSM has all three Templars available. The base model is so cheap, amazing. M and X are available, but prices are going up. $1900 is the sale price (Valentine's day) for the X.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:20 AM   #1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
Dude, that all sucks. Really sucks.
Praying it all comes together for ya!
It's not that bad. I've been riding for years and years and a few times people have asked me which bike they should get. My basic answer is to get one that makes you feel good every time you look at it, even if you can't ride it at the moment. This one has got me there. It needs a little help and is a bit scruffy right now but it makes me happy enough to open the garage door and see it there. People do say sometimes I've been blessed with a bit more patience than average too though.

Old 02-15-2023, 11:40 AM   #1158

Exclamation adjustable CDI installed-WORKS

It took fifteen minutes to set up, remove the side cover and swap out the CDI units. Just to refresh your memory, this is the Naraku adjustable AC CDI box.

My testing confirmed that Templar X (with Zongshen 172FMM-3A) has an AC type CDI unit. It started instantly. I did not adjust it before install. They claim it is shipped at zero position (no advance/retard dialed in).

Note, all you have to do is remove the right side cover to get to it. If you haven't seen my right cover mod, here it is. I just cut a slot above the rack mount so the right sidecover slips off without removing the rack (just remove the 2 8mm head bolts). This makes removing the exhaust MUCH easier too (leave the seat AND rack in place):

Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverSlot.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	28588

Name:	CoverSlotOff.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	28589

The original rubber mount fits, but I didn't bother to install the CDI properly for this test. I installed it afterwards. This will be easy to adjust/test once we have a nice warm day.

Name:	NarakuCDI-TemplarX.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	28590

Here is the video:

Old 02-15-2023, 12:06 PM   #1159

I'm curious it makes any difference.. I had installed an orange non-adjustable cdi on my former Titan DLX that also claimed to advance the timing and remove rev limit, and other than rev limit, i couldn't really tell any difference power-wise

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-15-2023, 03:09 PM   #1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
I'm curious it makes any difference..
My gut tells me that if this is set for an aggressive advance on this device, with a ported head and a long duration cam you would FEEL it, but it would also push to overheat this air-cooled cylinder. Now you are talking oil cooler or don't push it for more than a few seconds on the trail for something important (like a LONG wheelie )

But, as a standalone mod, it might be perceptible on a dyno. I am waiting for a head, already have a ~265cc cylinder kit, and I would like to open up the exhaust to hear that nice thump you can get with these bikes and get the gases out easier (with cat-gut). For now, I will do some testing on the advance mostly to see if the engine is "happy", and try to figure out how many "clicks" to go.

But I turned it clockwise. I could detect NO CLICKS. It turned just over two revolutions and stopped. I set it at ONE revolution/turn. Test drive now. I don't care if it is 45F. Brrrr!

After the ride? It runs fine and who knows if there is another hp or something. The exhaust note cracked a bit more on throttle blip. But this is one cold-assed test. It seemed at least as powerful, felt great. All of the above applies. ignition advance is useful, but it is only a part of the quiver of tools you have to increase hp. And if you use them all, better cool that thing somehow if you want to use it continuously!!

Last edited by Thumper; 02-16-2023 at 02:49 PM.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:44 AM   #1161

Been out for a bit, tax season and all taking away more of my focus but I have been tinkering with my Templar in the background, some of what I got up to:

• Updated my manual, was not well written with respect to the photograph labels but there is both high and low speed compression adjusters on the rear shock. Played around with both. I tend to more to the hard side of the rear settings.
  • Pulled the carburetor and did lots of testing of idle jets and pilot/air screw settings.
  • Discovered that yes indeed, at least on my Templar there is a gasket installed on the air intake manifold between the manifold and the engine.
  • New carburetor pilot screw installed.
  • General chain clean, lube and adjustments.
  • Discovered a small crack in the lower rear mud guard where it rubs against the chain guide where the guide has a circular molded fastener attachment section. Cut out a recess in the guard to allow it to travel up and down without rubbing against said fastener section. The plastic formulation seems flexible at first but is stiff enough and thin enough to allow a crack to form from rubbing up and down against the fastener as the rear wheel actuates through its movement arc.
  • Ran through a few more tanks of fuel and confirmed by trip meter when I will be approaching the point where the fuel in the selected lobe runs dry and need to switch over. Unwinding back to an even number, I'd want to be visiting the gas station every 100 on the trip to play it safe.
  • I've run out of things I want to change or add to the bike at the moment, nothing left to do but simply ride it.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 02-16-2023, 11:50 AM   #1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
The Templar X headlight, especially when in hi-beam mode is pointing ridiculously high

Can confirm, they only assembled the headlight on mine making sure the various screws were screwed in, but it had not been adjusted at all. I spent one night when I first go the bike and took it to my neighborhood street on one end, pointed the bike down the street towards the opposite end and used the adjustment screw to adjust the high beam against the reflective stop sign and houses at the other end of the street. I don't ride at night but its a simple enough job to adjust the headlight so its not shooting down UFOs in the sky. If I rode it at night I would definitely change out the LED bulb with something brighter.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 02-16-2023, 03:15 PM   #1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Can confirm, they only assembled the headlight on mine making sure the various screws were screwed in, but it had not been adjusted at all. I spent one night when I first go the bike and took it to my neighborhood street on one end, pointed the bike down the street towards the opposite end and used the adjustment screw to adjust the high beam against the reflective stop sign and houses at the other end of the street. I don't ride at night but its a simple enough job to adjust the headlight so its not shooting down UFOs in the sky. If I rode it at night I would definitely change out the LED bulb with something brighter.
There. You see we NEVER run out of things to do

Old 02-16-2023, 04:43 PM   #1164

Got mine today!
Delivery driver was super cool. He unloaded it and rolled the pallet into my garage, then helped me unbox it to check for damage. Happy to report thus far the only noticeable thing is a small mark on the bottom left fork by where the axle is. The M.C.O. arrived in the mail on Tuesday. Was bummed to see "Off Road Motorcycle" under body type. May stop by my local dmv first and see what they say about getting it plated before I email XPro about a new certificate.
Yamaha TT-R 50

Old 02-16-2023, 05:48 PM   #1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebleWobble View Post
Happy to report thus far the only noticeable thing is a small mark on the bottom left fork by where the axle is.
Lucky dog!
Starting to wonder where my paperwork is, the bike arrived two days ago.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:33 PM   #1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebleWobble View Post
Got mine today!
Delivery driver was super cool. He unloaded it and rolled the pallet into my garage, then helped me unbox it to check for damage. Happy to report thus far the only noticeable thing is a small mark on the bottom left fork by where the axle is. The M.C.O. arrived in the mail on Tuesday. Was bummed to see "Off Road Motorcycle" under body type. May stop by my local dmv first and see what they say about getting it plated before I email XPro about a new certificate.
Send an email to PSM immediately and ask them to send you a corrected MCO. They will. Or at least, they have for everyone I have heard of here. It might be the difference between getting insurance, plates and registering for road use or not!

Last edited by Thumper; 02-18-2023 at 01:02 AM.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:31 AM   #1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Send an email to PSM immediately and ask them to send you a corrected MCO. They will. Or at least, they have for everyone I have heard of here. It might be the difference between getting insurance, plates and registering for road use.
They did for me.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”

Old 02-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #1168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okierider View Post
They did for me.
For me too....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 02-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #1169

Contacted "Zora" about my shipping-damaged parts and they said they are looking into it. So the ball is rolling.

Probably just me but Zora is a name I've only run into once before and the picture sticks in my head. From "A Link to the past". Just me?

Old 02-19-2023, 12:52 AM   #1170

I just bought a new set of Tusk Dsport tires for the Templar 250. Can't wait to get them mounted. Will post pics