Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #1201

Break in over- High Speed Testing Time

Time to test my gearing on the Templar X 250. I took it up a quietish FM road. Then I ran it through the gears up into 6th.

The Speedometer on my X 250 hit 70 MPH @ 6,500 RPM, at that point I was running out of road and approaching a stop sign.

I did 40 miles today, only a few of which were speed testing. The police were out in force so I cooled it. Just a mile or two south was the city proper again and I passed a car pulled over by the local police, likely speeding as that side street was signed 40 MPH.

I spent the remaining time of the day going over dirt, gravel, pavement, a lot of detours and construction. Went through about 9 roundabouts. Filled up at the local Costco, 1.6 gallons in the tank with 80 on the Trip. Then spent the bulk of the time doing 40-50 MPH runs around the estate on public roads, that one side road being 40 the rest signed at 50.

I would have stayed out longer but the fun factor to sore arse ratio slowly ticked up as the laps increased.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 03-06-2023, 05:30 PM   #1202

On the bright side, Maxpro came through once again with some corrected paperwork. Downside is the state of SC doesn't have the manufacturer of the bike on their official list. Or something. Told me they will add it at some state level somewhere and they will call me to come back in to the DMV when they do. Oh I am holding my breath waiting on THAT. Sigh.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:49 PM   #1203

Zs172fmm-5 cdi

I have a new problem, seems like CDI.

This is a 6 speed Templar X. My 5 speed has a narrow AC CDI unit. But the newer 6speed ZS172FMM-5 CDI appears to be a DC unit. Can anyone confirm?

The part number on the CDI is DCI-ZL78-001
Sure seems like a DC CDI. Has anyone replaced their CDI units on the 6 speed Templar X?

Googling this part number returns Russian youtube videos on this CDI unit. Rubles

SYMPTOMS of my CDI failure (?)

This has gotten worse every time I drive it. First time it happened 5 minutes into a ride. Popping and cracking and loss of power, engine dies.

I thought this was a fueling issue, especially since it recovered and allowed me to drive another mile, then another mile, then another mile, until I was home.

I assumed a float bowl was the issue. NO Removed, cleaned, reinstalled. It runs perfect for a couple of minutes, and then the popping/cracking and stall. This is CDI.

Any recommendations on a replacement CD CDI?

Last edited by Thumper; 03-06-2023 at 07:51 PM.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:17 PM   #1204

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20230306_171315.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	28756

These are the numbers/letters on my 2023 6spd Templar cdi

I clicked the Powersportsmax.com banner at the top of the page, clicked "parts", then "250 dirtbike".

https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/16760

The part that pops up sounds like it's used among many different engine sizes?
Yamaha TT-R 50

Old 03-06-2023, 09:17 PM   #1205

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebleWobble View Post
Attachment 28756

These are the numbers/letters on my 2023 6spd Templar cdi

I clicked the Powersportsmax.com banner at the top of the page, clicked "parts", then "250 dirtbike".

https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/16760

The part that pops up sounds like it's used among many different engine sizes?
This is most likely an AC CDI. That part is showing "CG CDI", which is the smaller pushrod engine. My 5 speed has an AC CDI as well. I'll bet it works on my 5 speed.

The DC CDI is wider. I ordered a DC CDI. It'll be here tomorrow. I will know soon enough. I never even looked at the CDI unit on the six speed Templar X. I assumed it was identical to the CDI unit in the five speed Templar X !!

Last edited by Thumper; 03-07-2023 at 02:38 AM.

Old 03-07-2023, 06:56 AM   #1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I have a new problem, seems like CDI.

This is a 6 speed Templar X. My 5 speed has a narrow AC CDI unit. But the newer 6speed ZS172FMM-5 CDI appears to be a DC unit. Can anyone confirm?

The part number on the CDI is DCI-ZL78-001
Sure seems like a DC CDI. Has anyone replaced their CDI units on the 6 speed Templar X?

Googling this part number returns Russian youtube videos on this CDI unit. Rubles

SYMPTOMS of my CDI failure (?)

This has gotten worse every time I drive it. First time it happened 5 minutes into a ride. Popping and cracking and loss of power, engine dies.

I thought this was a fueling issue, especially since it recovered and allowed me to drive another mile, then another mile, then another mile, until I was home.

I assumed a float bowl was the issue. NO Removed, cleaned, reinstalled. It runs perfect for a couple of minutes, and then the popping/cracking and stall. This is CDI.

Any recommendations on a replacement CD CDI?
Make sure your fuel cap is venting.....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 03-07-2023, 08:05 AM   #1207

Size is not always an indicator of DC vs AC but it is often that AC is smaller.

The easiest way to check if a CDI is AC vs DC is that on a DC CDI the power pin is usually wired to the key switch on a DC CDI. If you attach a meter or test light to the power pin on a DC CDI and turn the key on the DC CDI power pin will light up because it’s being fed power and if you turn the key off the power pin should once more be unpowered. On an AC CDI the power pin will never light up until the motor is running as the CDI is pulling power directly from the motors wiring harness.

I did not have a look at the bottom wiring on my 6 Speed CDI yet but my understanding is all CDI have two connectors one being a four pin and the other being a two pin connector.

If you unplug the CDI and look at the connectors head on and with them at the top my understanding is on the four pin both bottom pins are ground. The top left is signal wire and top right goes to the coil.

On the two pin connector the top pin is wired to the kill switch which will ground out this pin telling the CDI to kill the engine and the bottom pin is the power pin.

AC or DC it should be the same connector wiring setup except for where that power pin connects to. So the ultimate test is to see if that power pin energizes with key switch or not.
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 03-07-2023, 10:06 AM   #1208

Yes Pete... I was the one that posted that info on DC powering of the CDI unit when you turn on the key. I did this research when I was testing it to make sure I was buying the right kind of adjustable advance CDI for my 5 speed in post 1161 in this thread.
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...postcount=1161

I also posted the same info on this in the Templar 250 Resource Guide Sticky
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...35&postcount=9

Thanks Weeble. That is exactly the same markings on my 6 speed CDI unit, and the first three letters are "DCI", which I assumed meant CD ignition. And I verified it- YES, it is in fact a DC type CDI. I was just surprised that the 6 speed has a DC CDI unit since the 5 speed X has AC CDI. But it is a different engine, and this 6 speed is implemented on bikes with EFI, so that may be why (even though the CDI is integrated with the EFI module).

To verify, and before I ordered the DC CDI (which should be here today!), I tested the power in lead. Another surprise...ONE of the leads DOES get 13.2V (since my battery is charged!), but it is not the black/red wire suggested in the youtube video on the corner. It is in a different position on the CD unit in the 6 speed! It is the black wire in the middle position (no wire in the adjacent input on the twin connector).

Name:	CDI.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	28760

Last edited by Thumper; 03-07-2023 at 12:08 PM.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:13 AM   #1209

Huck,
I definitely thought fuel when these symptoms happened. I opened (vented) and heard no sucking sound. Also, it happens too fast to develop vacuum (I think!).

I am not convinced that it is the CDI unit though. It starts misfiring badly, which DOES sound like CDI is going haywire, but it could somehow be the stator.

It "fixes itself" if I let it rest for a minute. This is ALSO suggesting float bowl issue, but I found the entire carb spotless when I opened it yesterday, and I did blow out every circuit with carb cleaner. I really don't think the carb is the problem, and it happens too fast (I think) to be a tank venting problem.

I will get a replacement DC CDI today. Maybe this will fix it.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-07-2023 at 12:09 PM.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:23 PM   #1210

Could DCI as a stamping simply mean Direct Current Ignition?

Do you know what the stamping on your five speed reads?
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 03-07-2023, 01:14 PM   #1211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Could DCI as a stamping simply mean Direct Current Ignition?

Do you know what the stamping on your five speed reads?
The original CDI from my 5speed X is in the parts box since I replaced it with the adjustable CDI. So I didn't have to take off the side plastic

Weeble's pic shows the one on the 6 speed had a part number beginning "DCI..." and it is indeed a DC unit (mine is identical). The one on the 5-speed sez "CDI..." and it was definitely an AC unit:

Name:	TempX-5speedCDI-ACunit.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	28761

Last edited by Thumper; 03-07-2023 at 07:32 PM.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:46 AM   #1212

Well. Thought I'd be nice and try to order a full set of replacement decals and let them slide on replacing the ones shipping damaged. Filled out the order form and asked for a price. Nothing. A few days later I get an email saying my package has shipped. Evidently Zora intercepted and sent a pack of decals gratis.

Hard to complain about that, I guess. Slight issue though. My bike is silver/grey and the full sticker pack is red. I'm going to take is as an opportunity I guess. I'm going to run what I have and at some future point I get to renovate my bike with a color change!

A co-worker spotted the decals. He has a vinyl cutter and we're now kicking around how much work it would be to scan some of these into the computer so he could cut me some custom ones. For no good reason at all. Just for fun. Sticky part being neither of us has scanner big enough for the larger ones so they'd have to be scanned in sections and stitched together. Not a huge deal but I have more projects than I can shake a stick at already.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:20 AM   #1213

New to the bike and forum

Hi Folks,

I finally got my new purchase Templar X-250 running with lots of reading over helpful tips and advices from this forum, really appreciated it.

The rerouting of throttle cable is a must. On my first ride, 50 yards out of the driveway, the throttle cable got stuck and kept the rpm at 5-6K. I stop the bike and neighbor told me engine is on fire. I quickly shut it off and jump off to check, the front wheel fender was melting in fire. Luckily I can put it out with a big blow of mouth air. After rerouting, engine starting in cold has been much easier but still run lean. I think it's still too cold here in Cincy OH, around 40s and 50s.

Please pardon me if this is the wrong thread to ask this question. What is that small package of blue material looks like gel/grease used for?

Many thanks, -Frank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220920_091213.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	755.8 KB
ID:	28779   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220920_091501.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	542.7 KB
ID:	28780  

Old 03-12-2023, 12:29 PM   #1214

Carb Adjustment

This is the first time I adjust a carb on bike. I adjust the one with red circle for idle speed fast/slow, is it correct? The engine ran a little lean, can I adjust the screw in blue circle to change air/fuel mixture. It's in a weird angle to stick a straight flathead screw driver and is very tight. Should I use a right-angled screw driver to turn it? Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220920_091210.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	636.8 KB
ID:	28781  

Old 03-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #1215

I belive the included blue grease is for packing the steering head bearings (watch the older assembly video on Youtube where they assemble the forks). It's on my "to do" list once the garage warms up a bit.
Yamaha TT-R 50