Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #1

Loose Tight Loose Tight Chain

HOORAY

I have posted in a few threads an ongoing problem with my bike since day one. The loose tight loose tight chain as the wheel spins. The chain so loose at its loosest point it was flopping around and I was afraid it would jump off sprocket.

Today I have had the biggest breakthrough since owning my bike.

First of all I purchased a chain spring loaded tensioner thinking that would take care of the flopping chain, it didn't work for me. Then I purchased a new DID chain and installed it and that didn't fix it.

I have always adjusted the chain as I learned on YouTube using the chain tensioners at the wheel axle and adjusting the tension and making sure the tensioner guide marks are the same/even on both sides of the wheel.

Well today after frustration of the issue not being fixed I was checking everything out. I was about 10 feet behind the bike down on the ground level with the chain and with the bike running in gear with the wheel spinning I could clearly see the back sprocket and front sprocket were not lined up and the chain was flexing off to the side by a few degrees.

I turned the bike off and loosened every nut and bolt that has anything to do with holding the wheel on. I forced the wheel and sprocket into a straight position getting back behind the bike over and over checking to see if everything was lined up. When I thought I had everything lined up pretty good I tightened everything just enough to hold the wheel in place. The thing is the chain tensioner hash marks are now way off, by like a few marks different from each side of the wheel.

I started the bike, put it in gear and the improvement was instantaneous. The sprockets and chain are all lined up and the floppy chain is significantly reduced, less vibration of the bike, less noise from the bike. And this is all while up on the center stand sitting still.

Tightened everything down and took it for a ride and the ride feel is significantly improved. The bike just feels smoother and tighter.

What I learned from this is the YouTube videos are good for learning how to maintain your $15,000.00 Japanese bike. Our Chinese bikes require a little more ingenuity and intuitive thinking. I already new this but I was trusting those hash marks on the chain tensioner were within spec. Every video I have watched said to make sure the hash marks are lined up each side. The Chinese obviously didn't watch the same videos I did.

Bike runs/rides so much better now.

/

Old 06-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #2

Good job! My hash marks don't match on either leg of my swingarm either... but close. It's all about lining up the sprockets. I also like to gauge wheel straightness on the swingarm by even clearance on both sides of the tire away from swingarm. Helps ensure it's not cocked-off.

Also, don't forget that as you put weight on the seat and the rear of the bike compresses down on the suspension... the chain will tighten up. So set your chain slack with you-sized weight sitting on the bike. A helper is useful... or you can carefully lean over the seat with your belly on the seat and put your weight on it and then check the chain slack. Don't knock your bike over!

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 06-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #3

Hey Rip Yeh I adjusted the chain with me laying over top of the bike seat. Probably looked pretty goofy to the neighbors.

I just took the bike for a nice ride on Federal Hwy. it feels so much better I can't believe its the same bike.

/

Old 06-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

That's a good tip to remember, thanks for posting.

Bit late now, but years ago (before there were marks on swing arms to adjust to) we would tie a piece of string all the way around the bike about a third up the tyre, so just over the bottom chain. Then lock the steering in a straight ahead position, or have someone hold the front wheel between their legs.

Then looking from the rear you could see if the string was equally spaced at the front and back of each side of the rear wheel - hard to describe but if the string was tight against the front right edge of the tyre and lose on the left, you knew the wheel was not straight in the swingarm. Nowadays you could use a laser pointer, but back then, we only had candles

May still be worth keeping the chain tensioner fitted - if you haven't removed it, let us know how you get on.
Velocettes (various)
Piaggio's / Honda's / Yamaha's
Raptor . . . . the List Goes On . . . .

Old 06-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #5

The chain tensioner wouldn't work for me because it is clearly made for a full size bike. Not enough clearance on my bike. My bike is a clone/copy of a Honda Cub. The old C50/Trail 90/Passport/Postie it goes by about 50 names. LOL

The chain tensioner however is impressive in quality for what it cost. I was very surprised when it arrived to see how well it was built as well as how big it is. I would recommend it to any of you guys considering a tensioner for your full size bikes.

/

Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Excellent detective work.

Now that you have your wheel centered, it would be a good time to use a sharp center punch, and make new reference marks on the swingarm. You'll thank yourself later.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Excellent detective work.

Now that you have your wheel centered, it would be a good time to use a sharp center punch, and make new reference marks on the swingarm. You'll thank yourself later.

Yes I need to do this.

/

Old 06-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #8

Good work.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #9

Youtube video

Was there one video that was better than others to show how to tighten and adjust your chain????