Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2022, 07:46 AM   #1

Howdy All !

Howdy from Weed California !...(that's near the base of Mt.Shasta)
I just recieved my CSC 2021 RX4 about 2 days ago....
we've had a 2021 TT250 for about 4 months now ( my Kids)
I am a retired Motorcycle mechanic by trade but mostly a jack of all trades and master of none I've had my own motorcycle shop 2 times in the past and it kept food on the table but wasn't a booming business either time I tried it.
so I went looking for better pay.... never found it !
I'm retired now and I only work on my own bikes and sense I lost 13 motorcycles in the Ranch fire about 6 or 7 years ago and walked away with the clothes on my back it's taken me a while to acquire new toys !
I kept most all my old tools even though they lost their temper and are virtually useless ! I CAN'T BARE TO THROW THEM OUT ! lol
but I do have a welder (AC Stick) a Lathe (Logan 922) a small Mill ( home made ish... (with a millhead from a HF 3 in 1 Mill drill lathe)
and all kinds of tools I can't begin to name them all.
above all I love making stuff .... tools mostly or anything I need and can't afford on my measly SSI income !
....I've been around bikes all my life and know quite a bit about them if I can help anyone with theirs I'm more than happy to.... if I can't I'll tell ya so !
LOL....
Bob........

Old 01-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #2

Hiya. Welcome aboard.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-16-2022, 10:23 AM   #3

Hey Bob,
I’m north of you in Myrtle Creek Oregon. If you’re ever up for a ride up here, holler.
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 01-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #4

Welcome!
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 01-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #5

welcome aboard

Old 01-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #6

Hey Bob! Great to have you. I had a friend that lived in Weed and we hiked Shasta twice. I lived in New Mexico at the time, he retired in Beliz, but I am still searching for the exit button!

I have one of those AC welders. Great for heavy metal, but useless on thin stuff (I am still learning). The RX4 sounds fun. A 450cc adventure tourer. With mud or gravel-capable tires and upgraded suspension (I owned a DL1000), some people take them off road. And there are lots of logging and transmission line access roads to explore in CA and Southern OR, I am sure! I've explored Southern OR as well (lived in Portland for a few years) and made many trips way South including beaches!

Fabrication and adaptation is the best science on this planet, which makes you a wizard

My son just bought a TBR7 dirt bike and I have a Bashan Storm (both based on the Zhongshen CG250 Honda clone. I have Winter projects for the Storm, and we will begin assembling his if it ever shows up (only been a little over a week)

Andrew

Last edited by Thumper; 01-17-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:41 PM   #7

Welcome. I lived on the left coast in the late 1980s.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #8

Welcome aboard Bob!
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-18-2022, 05:20 AM   #9

thanks for the warm welcome guys ! much appreciated !
Thumper: I had the same problem until I switched to 1/16" welding rod I can weld sheet metal if I'm having a good day... if I'm not it winds up with holes all over it !
I use 6011 almost exclusively any more, as I have not found a rod that I like better !
most of the time I am welding with 5/32" welding rod as I am not welding thick stuff
but if I am welding 1/4" or thicker I will dig out the 1/8" but lately it's been rusty old water pipe and 1/8" plate LOL
I got my RX4 lowered fairly good now, I loosened the fork clamps and slid the fork tubes up to touch the handle bars that dropped the front almost exactly 1 inch
I put the preload all the way to the top of the shock and that dropped the rear about 2"
so I may need to go more with the front but it will take bar rizers to do that and they should be here tomorrow sometime.
it's got 21.7 miles on it and I don't want to hurt it ...but dang it I am going to ride the thing ! LOL
Bob.........

Old 01-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kelly View Post
thanks for the warm welcome guys ! much appreciated !
Thumper: I had the same problem until I switched to 1/16" welding rod I can weld sheet metal if I'm having a good day... if I'm not it winds up with holes all over it !
I use 6011 almost exclusively any more, as I have not found a rod that I like better !
most of the time I am welding with 5/32" welding rod as I am not welding thick stuff
but if I am welding 1/4" or thicker I will dig out the 1/8" but lately it's been rusty old water pipe and 1/8" plate LOL
I got my RX4 lowered fairly good now, I loosened the fork clamps and slid the fork tubes up to touch the handle bars that dropped the front almost exactly 1 inch
I put the preload all the way to the top of the shock and that dropped the rear about 2"
so I may need to go more with the front but it will take bar rizers to do that and they should be here tomorrow sometime.
it's got 21.7 miles on it and I don't want to hurt it ...but dang it I am going to ride the thing ! LOL
Bob.........
I've got a box of 6011 rods. I need to find some thin scrap steel and practice with voltage just high enough to resist sticking

Old 01-25-2022, 08:50 PM   #11

As being a ironworker 7018 rods only. just use 3/23 7018 with low settings around 80-90 amps.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:34 AM   #12

Hay Buzz.... never liked 7018 ....can't remember why right now but there's some reason ! LOL.... ( probably doesn't like AC ) that and it splatters alot.
I did wind up lowering the front of my rx4 ANOTHER INCH....i got some handle bar risers
the type that pivot... and that allowed the handle bars to come back a bit...and that allowed the fork tubes to come up more... i set them at exactly 2" above the tree
and the handling is really good on the girl.....
I call her Miss Piggy because she is so heavy ! HAHAHAHAHAHA
i got a cover for her and the temp dropped and haven't ridden it sense
I got 60.1 miles on it right now....
at first it had a sogg when accelerating off idle and I contacted CSC about that and they said it should cure itself as the ECU settles in to your altitude.... (3800ASL)
and now there is almost no sogg at all so the ECU is getting acclimatized ! LOL
...i've never had a Fuel injected bike before this is the first !
and so far I am loving it ! ..... I've just been putting on the back roads taking it easy
but I did take it up to 70mph and it could go much more ! so I am quite pleased !
Bob.......

Old 02-20-2022, 05:20 PM   #13

So right dc only,works good