Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #31

I got this one: Mr. Funnel AF1CB Fuel Filter

Single filter. 2.5gal/min flow rate

http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

Got mine for road side fills and not for use a gas stations. If the gas station seems shady I would fill my fuel bladder and then fill moto tank with filter from there.

For Baja I plan on using strictly for any back of truck fills.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #32

The Mr. Funnel is probably a good idea. Last year on the CSC Baja trip we got gas at Catavina both directions. The sellers had barrels of fuel that they were filling smaller jugs to pour into our tanks. We had no problems with the fuel. Last month some friends bought jug gas at Catavina. My understanding was that this seller only had gas in smaller containers. They put two liters in his bike, and the remaining two liters in her bike. Shortly afterwards her engine started to sputter, and then, barely run. Apparently there was water and/or dirt in the bottom of that jug. She was able to limp to the next Pemex. After filling up there she had no more problem.

The OEM CST tires are good tires for the road to the cave paintings. They are 80/20 dual sport tires. It is hard packed dirt with rocks. The locals drive 2WD automobiles on that road. And they are fine for the road to the old mission; it has sandy sections so you need to take it easy.

See you in Azusa.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #33

Thanks Dan!

Old 03-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #34

I think I'll try and not get the last quarter of the small fuel can

You gotta know when to pass the taco.

I scored some stockings for some fuel filtering,don't wanna carry a funnel.

I asked the wal-mart lady where they were and immediately jumped in with "but the're not for me"

Cheesecloth might work too in a pinch.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Baja is in the DNA of every RX3 since CSC first took the trip...
That is a very true statement. Made me laugh when I read it.

I'll be up in Canada next week; should have email access. I'll be back a couple of days before we leave for Baja.

I am very much looking forward to riding with you folks. Baja will be great. With all of the recent rain we've had in this part of the world, it is very green down there right now. We are all lucky we get to do these rides.

We'll have another cool tank decal for the folks who are riding with us. I'm finishing the design on it tonight. You'll like it. It will be a little smaller than the others because I'm running out of real estate with all of the other decals I have on my RX3's fuel tank, and I have to tell you that's a good feeling.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #36

ADV Rider Baja ride reports

Currently 3 Baja ride reports/pics on ADV rider for anyone needing to armchair travel or wet their appetite.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #37

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone going on the trip would be interested in purchasing an 18" front wheel? $80 and I'll throw in the rim strip, tube, spare tube and a Shinko 244 in really really good condition. Let me know and I'll bring the stuff with me.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #38

Oh, I saw a post on FB on one of the adventure riding groups there of a guy heading with some folks to Baja for a month and all of a sudden there were tons of other people saying they were going to be there. All during the time we'll be down there. Big area but I'm thinking we'll run into some other bikers along the way!

Old 03-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #39

I plan on being at CSC before lunch on Saturday. I was thinking of doing a loop in the mountains around lunch or so. Interested? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19463729

Old 03-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
I plan on being at CSC before lunch on Saturday. I was thinking of doing a loop in the mountains around lunch or so. Interested? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19463729
Thats perfect 73 mile warm up! I have always looked at that twisty road on g maps now here your going do it. Looking foward to your "coverage" of the bajahaĆ aaaaa ride on the fjm sports network
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #41

The San Gabriel/San Bernadino forests are not that intimidating, but I would suggest to ride with someone else. There have been many stories of people going missing in the L.A. area, and months later their remains are found at the bottom of a cliff from after having driven off of one of the mountain roads that cut through there. Not to discourage you, but your main ride is far, far away, so don't ruin that with a 'quick' side excursion...just make sure you go with someone.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #42

I got a quote thru Baja Bound for 2 weeks travel in Baja $75.Reasonable.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #43

My best bike trip ever last year. Bon Voyage you guys.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #44

Yeah, that's why I posted on here to see if others wanted to join. Also, my first route was to contain a bit of dirt but found out it was on a hiking trail. I've revised the route for pure road and it's a bit shorter: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19534740
I don't plan or riding it crazy, but just a way to stretch the bike and legs after 3 days of driving and towing it down there.
I plan on bringing the two vid cameras...Helmet mount and then one I move around the bike along with the iPhone to capture lots of video and pictures and will make up a "movie" for YouTube.
Weather sucks up here so I've got everything loaded and just can't wait to get on the road early on Thursday morning.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Yeah, that's why I posted on here to see if others wanted to join. Also, my first route was to contain a bit of dirt but found out it was on a hiking trail. I've revised the route for pure road and it's a bit shorter: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19534740
I figured you will be itching to ride, and if no one goes with you, you might go anyway. The mountains/forests around L.A. aren't as 'serious' as where you are from, or even other parts of California, but still just wanted to mention it (like you are a little kid needing to be taught ) to stay safe so you can go on the REAL ride--BAJA!!

There are probably a few fire roads through there, but thinking back to my Boy Scout days in the early to mid-80's, most of the hikes we did that we drove on dirt roads were in the forests accessed off of I-5 between Bakersfield and the northern cities north of L.A. (i.e. Santa Clarita Valley). I don't recall too many dirt roads in the Angeles or San Bernadino Forests (where you mapped out), but my perspective was from a station wagon going to hiking trailheads, so there are probably good roads to try out.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard